Joining a new band

Diegoro

I was recently asked to join a new band in my area. They play heavy rock/punk but I'm not sure if I'm the exact fit, I'm not skilled at all at double bass drumming. The band writes their own music but heres list of songs they say their style is like. Our Last Night- Radioactive
Our Last Night- Sunrise
Fireflight- What I've overcome
Paramore- Looking up
Paramore- Escape Route
Asking Alexandria- The Black
Asking Alexandria- I won't Give In
Bring me the Horizon- True Friends
Set It Off- Kill the Lights

What should I do? I can play rock/alternative/punk but nothing too heavy, I really want to join this band though.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Have they heard you play? If so, they evidently want you, so I wouldn't worry - go for it.

I've been asked to drum for two people who have never heard me play. I knew I could do the job for the first chap, so I said Yes. I told the second chap that I had no idea whether or not I could play what he wanted, but I was willing to have a go if he was ok with me needing quite a lot of help and direction. He said he was happy to. (Haven't actually played alongside him yet so I don't know whether it will happen, but there didn't seem any harm in being honest with him, and he certainly wasn't put off in the first instance.)

Headbanger

You don't really know what the band is like until you start rehearsing with them. Anytime I've been given a list of influences like that, I always felt afterwards that the list was misleading and that the band turned out to be completely different to what I imagined.

Meet the band, play the songs your own way, and if it doesn't work then at least you'll know what to practice for next time.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Get a scratch recording.
Give it a listen and get charting.
Once charted, get writing.
Once written, get practicing.
Once practiced, get rehearsing.
Once rehearsed, get playing.

Superman

Gold Member
True story....I was once asked to play in a band, but playing double bass was a necessity and I only play single. I was too stubborn and stupid to adapt to them, and I turned them down. Then they became somewhat famous (world tours, radio and MTV airplay) and I continued to drum in my garage.

Diegoro

True story....I was once asked to play in a band, but playing double bass was a necessity and I only play single. I was too stubborn and stupid to adapt to them, and I turned them down. Then they became somewhat famous (world tours, radio and MTV airplay) and I continued to drum in my garage.
Would they have taken you if you didn't play double bass, but made your own beats that still fit the genre? Because I think that's what I want to do.

Superman

Gold Member
Would they have taken you if you didn't play double bass, but made your own beats that still fit the genre? Because I think that's what I want to do.
No, double bass was a must for their sound. Like you, I'm a single bass guy and I just have no interest in double.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Playing music outside your comfort zone is a great learning experience for any progressing drummer. Just do it, and if you don't like it you can always leave.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
If they asked you to join they've obviously heard/seen you play and think you'll be a good fit.
Let them know off the bat you don't play double kick but if it's a requirement get a used mid-range double pedal and start practicing, Guitar Center has a bunch of used double pedals listed on their website I'm sure you can find a set of decent/good pedals for around $150.

Good luck!

tcspears

Gold Member
I love playing outside of my wheelhouse, but there are limits.

I don't have a double bass pedal, and even if I did, I use an 18" BD. With that said, I've used my jazz kit to play with punk and hard rock bands, and it's sounded fine, I just tuned everything lower.

My main thing is jazz, but I love getting the chance to play stuff that I'm not familiar with.

I say go for it. At least go through a few rehearsals and see if you like it. Just make sure you are clear with them that you are checking it out.