JOHN RILEY here...new DVD: samples here....

John Riley

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your kind words about my books and DVD. I am glad they are helpful for you.

Unfortunately, I have not seen the DVD you are asking about but Ed Soph is a fantastic player and teacher. When I watch Ed play, I see that we both use very similar motions.

I try to capitalize on the energy in the rebounding stick and use that instead of using my muscles to move the stick. I find, if I do stop the stick, my sound becomes more staccato and I fatigue faster. The only time I will stop the rebound of the stick is when I am playing very so tempos and gravity is starting to interfere. Perhaps Ed was demonstrating playing the cymbal pattern at a very slow tempo and had to stop and hold, or "catch," the stick to keep it from drooping down onto the cymbal.

John Riley

webstercat

Jazz Drummers Workshop Pages 10, 11 and 12

Question is, are these meant to be "stand alone" patterns or incorporated into swing time?
They are enjoyable to play but am somewhat puzzled as to how to apply or incorporate them in to a standard jazz time feel. Especially since the quarter note pulse for the A B C on page 10 is the hi hat played with the foot.

The Second-Line Applications on page 14 are sweet! Easy to incorporate into your jazz time feels. Also make for some super funky straight eight patterns.

Thanks John for the great material.

Billy

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
A lot of people on this thread have the dvd I see. I have one problem. If you read over the posts on the thread I said how much I loved the dvd and how much it has helped my comping and such. After a while I put the dvd down, as I was happy with my independence. Since I took the year off before applying to jazz universities, now I remember that there were a few exercises that I hadn't gotten to. And now I really want to try and gain as much independance as I possibly can, especially with the bass drum.

My problem is that a while back I gave all my playstation games to my friend, and I think the dvd was in one of the cases! Those games are long gone now. I still have the original case for the dvd.

If I was to upload pictures of the dvd box without the dvd, proving that I actually boight it a year or so ago, is it at all possible to send the dvd through e-mail or something....if it wasnt too much trouble of course. I just bought a bass drum head costing like €50, and I have no money to get it again. I'm not a bum, don't look down on me for this! :)

Just that the dvd was such a great one, and I'm kicking myself for stupidly losing it!
If people can't, or won't for that matter, i completely understand

mrmike

Silver Member
There is an excellent article on John Riley in the Nov. Dec/2010 issue of Drumhead. Check it Out!!!
Great article and great magazine. I wonder how John would have sounded with Zappa.

Just picked up John Scofield's "Live 3 Ways" DVD. I really wanted to see Johns playing in a live setting which is fabulous BTW. I own all Bop, Beyond Bop and The Master Drummer and will be picking up more titles with Johns playing just to here some great music.

W

wy yung

I'm having a great time using John's 3 books and now the DVD in my teaching. The younger kids find them easier to understand than Syncopation. I know not why.

Often I'll use a technique from one of them out of the blue during a lesson. For example, I was working through a solo with a 9 year old yesterday and there was a moment when frustration could have taken over, so I said hang on, let's take a break with this and showed him the Max Roach quote from the DVD. 6 notes on high tom than snare, paradiddle on floor followed by another between floor and snare followed by 4 notes on snare and then off we go again. It worked a treat and the lesson was a great success. We'll knock off that tricky bit of the solo at the next lesson.

Thanks John.

brady

Platinum Member
Why did it take me so long to get this DVD?!

Mr Riley (and anyone else reading), this is one of the best DVDs in my collection now. It is a very well thought out instructional DVD with a lot of insights into drummers and their licks, excellent exercises, and several tips that I've never seen covered before.

I don't want to spoil too much of it for the others, but thank you for such a wonderful product Mr Riley. I already have the Art of Bop Drumming book and this is an excellent companion to it. This will keep me busy for some time.

Richard.Awesome

There is an excellent article on John Riley in the Nov. Dec/2010 issue of Drumhead. Check it Out!!!
Just finished said article - I agree 100%!

John,

Do you ever offer lessons on a one-time basis? IE is it ever possible to schedule one if I'm in the NYC area? If so, do you work with intermediate-level drummers?

Thank you,

Matt B

John Riley

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Matt,

Glad you enjoyed the article. Jonathan Mover was fun to talk to.

My schedule is really full but it might be possible to schedule an occasional lesson. I've also been getting good feedback from skype lessons if we can't hookup in person.

Best,

John

hunterde

Great video Alex. Thank you. What I enjoy most about John Riley's material is that the books are not open ended. I feel that there are too many open ended drum books out there; the student doesn't feel the accomplishment of completing the book. Most drummers need to complete the book to a certain degree of competency and then be able to go back and revisit it. That's what I enjoy most about John's books for instance, in his book Beyond Bebop there is a section entitled “adding rests to the phrase”. I've gone back and study that section numerous times and every time I learn little bit more. For instance, what I find works best for me is to just count the rests, because within most of those four bar phrases, you end up resting on four beats. For example, if I know I'm going to play a four beats phrase three times within a four bar break, I will be resting on four of the beats within the four bar break. Did that make any sense? Well anyway that helps me feel the four bars as a movement or one large phrase.

hunterde

Correction; in my previous post I referred to the book “Beyond Bebop” I meant to refer to "The Art of Bop Drumming". One more thing: man Brady you are hot!

renardvert

Silver Member
Hi John,

I have your 3 books and your dvd and I must say that your work is amazing. It was also a great pleasure for me to read the article in the Drumhead magazine, didn't know that you had got the gig with Zappa. Pretty cool story.

My question is regarding the Basic Training part of your last book. I wanted to know if that approach was taught to you by the late great Joe Morello and if so, if it was the (or a) way to play the accents exercises in Joe's book, Master Studies. Also, how do you integrate that kind of stroke and the Moeller one into your drumset playing? Since the Moeller is based on a whipping action and the basic training is more a height/free stroke approach, I wondered how they worked together.

Thank you very much!

Daniel

John Riley

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Daniel,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for your kind words about the books and DVD.

Yes, Joe taught me that approach and it can certainly be applied to the accents in Master Studies. These are control strokes and different than Moeller. I practiced each of these techniques separately, and to be honest, don't really think about either one when I play. I just let the ideas I play dictate the way; my technique morphs at best articulate the ideas.

I suppose one way you could create an exercise which moves between control strokes and Moeller strokes by inserting a bar of Moeller (RrrRrrRrrRrrRrrr for example) between each bar of control strokes as a link.

Good luck,

John

renardvert

Silver Member
Hi John,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me. This is really helpful and inspirational.

Talk to you soon,

Daniel

hunterde

Hello John. It's a pleasure to be on your thread. The first time I was here I didn't realize it was actually your thread. So if you read post 71. I am the somewhat arrogant sounding guy who wrote it. All I can say is that I got a little excited when I discovered something new for me when studying from one of your books. I want to thank you for all the help you've given me and all the help I know we will provide me in the future.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Re: Question Regarding "Jazz Drummer's Workshop" by John Riley

You could go about accenting, buzzing, doubling or muting (don't forget the bass drum!) one or more of the strokes. Also, try substituting the hi-hat for the bass drum or the snare drum. How about interpreting each snare stroke as a rim click? See if you can incorporate your ride hand in the patterns without messing up its own pattern. Work with various subdivisions underneath the quarter note pulse. Go nuts, but be smart about it!
Great ideas.

I have slowly been working my way through the Art of Bop Drumming. John Riley is a tremendous teacher and musician.