Joan Jet - I love rock and roll

Steve.B

Hi All,

I am relatively new to drumming and have got together with a few guys locally to play some tunes. We are starting with I love rock and roll and listening to it, it seems to sort of stutter a couple of times, you can best hear it at the end of the song. I am a bit stuck as to how to count this so was hoping some of you guys could help.

Steve.B

topper-hardy

Hi there,
I just listened to the song and the song changes a few times for either 3/4 and 2/4.
The last bar before every chorus is in 2/4 and every fourth bar in chorus 1 and 2 is in 3/4.
In chorus 3, the first four bars are regular 4/4, but after that every fourth bar is again in 4/4.

Did a quick search and found chart and youtube video from drumstheword, on his site you‘ll also find a drum chart.

Have fun with it.

Kind regards from Germany,
Topper

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Hi there,
I just listened to the song and the song changes a few times for either 3/4 and 2/4.
The last bar before every chorus is in 2/4 and every fourth bar in chorus 1 and 2 is in 3/4.
In chorus 3, the first four bars are regular 4/4, but after that every fourth bar is again in 4/4.

Did a quick search and found chart and youtube video from drumstheword, on his site you‘ll also find a drum chart.

Have fun with it.

Kind regards from Germany,
Topper
I listened to it, I'm not sure those are really metric changes, as much as breaks. I'd look for hand signals, rather than trying to churn through it.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
From memory, the last bar of every chorus only have 3 beats in it

So you count 1, 2, 3 quarter notes. And start on 1 again.

Safest is to count.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
They are bars of 3/4 (except in that one transition near the end) and are key to the song. Trying to straighten them out makes it sound weirder. Simplest way to play through those is to follow the vocals. In "Dance with me", make me the downbeat. Once you have the song down, it becomes automatic. You'll never hear it any other way.

Bermuda

bud7h4

Silver Member
"So come and take your time and dance with me"

........1.............2............3......4.....5.......6.....1 <--------- (had to space the notes asymmetrically to line up with the lyrics)

The last bar of the chorus is 6/8

"me" is on 1 of the next bar (which returns to 4/4)

New Tricks

Platinum Member
That is one of those extremely simple songs that I had heard a million times but never played it.

When I first sat down it was a WTF moment. I never sat down and tried to decipher it. I just figured out, at the end of the chorus it had a couple extra bass drum notes snuck in there and your snare takes a rest

It's funny watching people trying to clap along and get lost. :)

The same exact thing happened when I first sat down to play Pink Floyd's Money.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
It's funny watching people trying to clap along and get lost. :)
Somehow people can dance to it, or maybe they just accept how the song goes. I've never seen anyone stumble on those parts. :O

Bermuda

New Tricks

Platinum Member
By people , I meant singers :). There is a clap track in the song and the singers get confused.

The public doesn't know the difference between clapping on 2 and 4 vs 1 and 3 so they continue uninterrupted and eventually get back on track after the next chorus :)

beatdat

That is one of those extremely simple songs that I had heard a million times but never played it.
Same thing with some AC/DC songs. Anyone got a good transcription to Back in Black?

Somehow people can dance to it, or maybe they just accept how the song goes. I've never seen anyone stumble on those parts. :O

Bermuda
Yeah, but it's rock 'n roll, and no one really dances to it, do they? They just kind of bop around to the beat. Try that in a waltz or a foxtrot, though.

The public doesn't know the difference between clapping on 2 and 4 vs 1 and 3 so they continue uninterrupted and eventually get back on track after the next chorus :)
Ha! And by then almost half of the song's gone by.

You ever been the one trying to correct them? They look at you like you're a fool.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
That is because money is in 7 for much of the song. I hate to count when I play. I much prefer to simply commit the song to muscle memory.
Yeah, I figured it out pretty quickly......but the bass and guitar never did :)

Yeah, but it's rock 'n roll, and no one really dances to it, do they? They just kind of bop around to the beat.
I just listened again and the danceability isn't really affected by the notes in question. The song carries on solidly despite the hiccups :)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
They are bars of 3/4 (except in that one transition near the end) and are key to the song. Trying to straighten them out makes it sound weirder. Simplest way to play through those is to follow the vocals. In "Dance with me", make me the downbeat. Once you have the song down, it becomes automatic. You'll never hear it any other way.

Bermuda
^ this.

Though it's funny how many years of hearing that song went by before I noticed the 3/4 bit.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Great timing on this post.

Yesterday, I went to a charity event to help support the family of a local drummer who recently past away. It was organized by the drummer of a local band and the crowd was FULL of drummers. His band was set up and provided backing for any drummers that wanted to play.

In the parking lot I see Hollywood Jim pull up so we went in and hung out. Jim chose to play and did an outstanding job of Superstition.

After a while, a young student came up and she chose to play......I Love R&R :) She did indeed play straight thru the part discussed here. The band compensated at first but the last time they just kept playing their parts which left the snare one the wrong beat until the part came around again, then she was back on track.

I was fun because she was both scared and excited with a huge smile on her face. She also won a high end snare drum from a raffle ticket :)

Here is Hollywood J

Attachments

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
After a while, a young student came up and she chose to play......I Love R&R :) She did indeed play straight thru the part discussed here. The band compensated at first but the last time they just kept playing their parts which left the snare on the wrong beat until the part came around again, then she was back on track.
It was fun because she was both scared and excited with a huge smile on her face. She also won a high end snare drum from a raffle ticket :)
Yes, it was great fun watching that young lady play that song. Even with the couple of mistakes she made on the end of the chorus change. I applaud her because she had the guts to get up and play in a room full of drummers. And she was having fun. Very inspiring.
I swear Joan Jet and her band recorded that song the way they did just to make it hard on cover bands.

BruceW

I've heard that song thousands of times, never played it, and never realized there were time sig changes in it. Now I gotta go home and listen for it, and maybe try it on the practice kit.
Interesting

New Tricks

Platinum Member
For the best experience, don't listen to it first.

Just sit down and play the K K S - K K S - part and wait for it :)