Jazz Comping

8Mile

Platinum Member
That was fantastic, Andrew. Your lessons are the best I've seen. You're covering things that players really need to know but are hardly ever mentioned - like the strong focus more on how to play the lines than what to play.
Yep. You've probably heard this many times before, but I think you have a real knack for teaching, Andrew. You present things in ways that I haven't seen before and that I wish someone had back when I was learning. I can just really relate to the way you break things down. I think back to when I was a student, and if I had someone take these concepts and lay them out the way you do, my learning curve would have been much sharper. And as you can see from the responses you're getting, others feel the same way.

Keep it up, my man.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Very nice introduction to the subject- I especially like the summation. And I really like the way you play the cymbal. What are you using to record your audio and video?

groove1

Silver Member
I'm jumping ahead here since I have not yet watched the video but so far as filling in the cracks goes I first learned everything I could listening to Philly Joe Jones on recordings.

haredrums

Silver Member
Hey Guys,

Thank you all so much for the supportive responses! I will try to respond to a couple of things:

Polly, I am not sure what my next lesson will be, but bass drum comping is not a bad idea!

Swiss, I hear you on the leg thing, it is probably not a super productive habit. That being said, I don't feel that it really inhibits my ability to play relaxed. It could just be that I am used to it though. Good point either way.

8mile, thanks again, I will!

Todd, Thanks! I am using the Q3HD for both. I am really impressed with how it sounds (for the most part). Here is a link to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Q3HD-Optical-Screen-Gray/dp/B0046KOL14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334167802&sr=8-1

groove1, Absolutely, in fact if you go to my blog you will find that the written exercise is based on Philly Joe's playing on "Tenor Madness". In my opinion Philly Joe is one of the greatest compers in jazz.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Polly, I am not sure what my next lesson will be, but bass drum comping is not a bad idea!
Another thing that gets me is playing light rimshots without it feeling like a lottery :) The feeble click where a colourful crack could have been is ... deflating ...

haredrums

Silver Member
Another thing that gets me is playing light rimshots without it feeling like a lottery :) The feeble click where a colourful crack could have been is ... deflating ...
Oh, agreed! That is the worst. I actually did do some work on that, but I still haven't gotten totally consistent the way I would like.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Oh, agreed! That is the worst. I actually did do some work on that, but I still haven't gotten totally consistent the way I would like.
If you're still challenged then I have quite the mountain to climb, no? :) You have to be so precise to get the particular pitch and volume you want.

In the next few months I'm going to be able to play at home for the first time in 30 years and I'm seeing some quality time with these videos coming up. Interesting times. I'm busting to have a go at the Art cover tune!

haredrums

Silver Member
If you're still challenged then I have quite the mountain to climb, no? :) You have to be so precise to get the particular pitch and volume you want.

In the next few months I'm going to be able to play at home for the first time in 30 years and I'm seeing some quality time with these videos coming up. Interesting times. I'm busting to have a go at the Art cover tune!
Do you play traditional grip by the way? I have found it much more difficult to get them consistent playing traditional. I started a thread about it and got some good advice here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82037&highlight=rim+shot+traditional

Playing along with that tune is one of the most fun things you can do, you are going to have a blast!