Jazz Bass Drum Microphone??

tcspears

Gold Member
As long as I have been drumming, I've never needed to get involved with the electronics side of things, including mics... usually there are sound guys who just set stuff up and make it sound good, and I've never had to be involved.

I'm a freelance player and usually gig 4-5 times per week, mostly playing jazz or cabaret, which really don't require a lot of bass drum, sometimes I'll go several measures without playing the bass drum. Recently I started taking about 4 gigs a month with a rockabilly group, where the bass and snare parts are in a very consistent pattern (almost like rock, but it still swings). The leader had mentioned me getting a mic for my bass drum, so I thought I'd see what people are using. I looked through the forums here and didn't see too much.

I'm playing an unported Gretsch 18' x 14' bass drum, without any muffling, tuned medium high (typical for jazz).

Does anyone have any experience microphoning jazz style drums, and/or any recomendation for mics?

Thanks!

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Easy answer: The Audix D6. Rarely any need for EQ or outboard effects. Just plug it in and experiment with placement around your bass drum. Once you find the right spot, you'll never worry about it again.

GeeDeeEmm

KamaK

Platinum Member
I agree with the above, the D6 should be fine. For unported heads, I use an Sennheiser E602 MK2. It is the cheap variant of the e902. I use it on unported heads because it tends to have a wider focus (more omnidirectional) than the D6/B52 and makes mic positioning easier/faster. No need to find/mark the sweet spot, just put it somewhere sane and it's ready to go.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If you just want a little more volume, pretty much anything will work. To keep the character you'd want to get something goos, but for that bass drum any good mic for tom use would probably work just as well as a typical BD mic.

tcspears

Gold Member
Thanks everyone! Looks like the Audix D6 and Sennheiser E602 MK2 are around the same price range, so I'll do some more research on those two and make a decision.

Thanks for helping, I had no idea where to start!

Altar

I can't stand the D6. Others like it, but IMO it makes most bass drums sound clicky and dead, and has way too much pre-eq. Ymmv, but for jazz especially, I'd rather have an EV20 or maybe even an SM7.

Actually, a Neumann 47 would be amazing especially for jazz, but I imagine that's a bit more than you'd like to spend.

opentune

Platinum Member
well i will throw in other tried and true competitors...Shure Beta 52A, AKG D112.
I just bought the D112.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
if you want more of the natural tone of the drum, and not a scooped EQ, I recommend the Audio-Technica ATM-25. They are discontinued, but you can still pick them up used. Great mic for both ported and non-ported heads.

Galadrm

Actually, a Neumann 47 would be amazing especially for jazz, but I imagine that's a bit more than you'd like to spend.
Ive never seen anyone use a u47 for live. I'm also not a fan of the d6, however if it's just for a bit of volume and seeing your reso is unported I would say it will do an acceptable job. I love the re20, however might be a bit too bumpy sounding in your application. The d112 is probably my favourite all round.