I've got a big one ------ &

keep it simple

Platinum Member
that extra inch makes all the difference!

Just finished up this beast of a 15" x 8" zebrano snare. We made this shell a bit thinner than the prototype version to further lower the fundamental, but we're getting some high overtones that could do with subduing a touch. This is a big drum, but it's 8 lug & fitted with 2.3mm triple flange hoops & a G1 coated head, so very open & uncontrolled. TBH, I need a bit of time dialling this in, but I already know it would benefit from either some heavier hoops or a thicker head (maybe a G14 or similar). I can hard engineer the higher overtone out of the drum, but I don't want to, as it affects other characteristics I want to keep.

Anyhow, here's a hastily cobbled together video clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPK77nzmIE8&feature=youtu.be

It's titled part 1, because I'll be making a part II once I have this a bit better sorted. Thought I'd let you in on the journey :)

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Had my doubts when it was tuned low, but once the tuning went up, that big drum really began to come to life. I like those high overtones you mention. They give the sound definition and make the drum project. That's the way I hear it, anyway . . ..

Good job.

GeeDeeEmm

King Tiger

I like it at the higher tuning myself. I'd like it even more if it was in my collection, WOOO!!!!. But yeah, nice job. Looks good, too.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Andy, the 80's just called, they want their snare drum sound back.

8" deep...really? What depth in your opinion is most practical for a 15" snare please? Where's the depth line, that depth where when crossed the sound yield potential drops dramatically?

alparrott

Platinum Member
I am wiping the drool off my chin, the keyboard, my lap, and off the floor. Gwuhhhh. That snare screams ROCK at me with all of its manly balls behind it. ROCCCCCKKKKKKKKK. It will rip off your arm and play backbeats on itself with it. ROCCCCKKKKKKK. It is a weapon of mass distraction, a ten megaton warhead of sizzling snare-steak.

(Alcohol may or may not have been involved in the writing of this post. But let's all err on the side of caution there.)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Had my doubts when it was tuned low, but once the tuning went up, that big drum really began to come to life. I like those high overtones you mention. They give the sound definition and make the drum project. That's the way I hear it, anyway . . ..

Good job.

GeeDeeEmm
I have no issue with high overtones, but this one is discordant, & needs to be sorted out.

I like it at the higher tuning myself. I'd like it even more if it was in my collection, WOOO!!!!. But yeah, nice job. Looks good, too.
Thank you :)

That sounded pretty freakin' awesome.
I'm mostly happy with it.

8" deep...really? What depth in your opinion is most practical for a 15" snare please? Where's the depth line, that depth where when crossed the sound yield potential drops dramatically?
You know - you kinda got me here. All our drums are extensively researched before release, but not so this one. I have to admit, experience in 15" snares is limited, so we're winging it - just a little. In 14" & 13" snares, anything beyond 7" becomes a bit much in terms of changing emphasis in the instrument characteristics. In this 15' snare, 8" seems to work pretty well, but that's in the context of a snare that is expected to spend much of it's life in lower tunings.

Love the low tuning, actually.
so do I :)

If you've got a snare capable of it, why not take advantage of it.
Exactly! The instrument should be capable of sounding good at higher tunings, but the main reason for buying such a drum is to take full advantage of it's low fundamental.

Put some cable snares on it and you have the perfect J. P. Sousa snare!
Indeed. A dry sound would suit this perfectly :)

It is a weapon of mass distraction, a ten megaton warhead of sizzling snare-steak.
Alcohol assisted or not, this makes for a great tag line, or maybe it would suit Mapex's marketing style more than ours ;)

Stroman

Platinum Member
I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. As it is, I'm a bit on the fence. Those high, discordant overtones you mention seem to rob some of the drum's presence, in my opinion. The basics are there, though, and I'd love to hear this thing at the lower tuning, dialed in to your expectations. I bet you'll have a killer drum!!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
An evolving project indeed. I'll try to spend some time with it tomorrow. All I've done up tip now is tune it up as I would a 14" drum. Time to experiment, & maybe revisit the edges if I need to. I'm never happy about discordant overtones :( I'll get another recording up of the results.

I've been busy today finishing the stablemates :)

Attachments

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
IDK I prefer Zebrano wood for toms. Maybe it's the size but it doesn't have enough liveliness for me. I preferred it more on the higher tunings, but it's not as crisp as the maple or ash snares.

Re: low tuning and high tuning. How's this for weird...for low tunings I like shallow snares like a 5" and for high tunings I like a deep snare like 6.5 or 7.
Backwards.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
IDK I prefer Zebrano wood for toms. Maybe it's the size but it doesn't have enough liveliness for me. I preferred it more on the higher tunings, but it's not as crisp as the maple or ash snares.

Re: low tuning and high tuning. How's this for weird...for low tunings I like shallow snares like a 5" and for high tunings I like a deep snare like 6.5 or 7.
Backwards.
Thanks Larry :) I actually think zebrano has more bite than either maple or ash. Did you listen this clip of the 13" x 7"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqUzWg_ni8&feature=youtu.be

I know that's not your size. I'll try to get a clip up of a 14" x 5.5" or 14" x 7" over the next few days. The dryness & focus of stave in a snare isn't your mojo either, so that will impact your view more than wood species I suspect :)

Re. your depth - tuning observations, I'm mostly in agreement with you, but some drums switch that view around too.

Make a 30" diameter snare for Bo.
That's quite a groin stretch - especially for Bo!!! ;)