It wasn't my intention to be so exacting but....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ever since I got that 1980s bright white Pearl Export kit, I've been wanting to add a 18" floor tom to it so I can have 12/13/16/18 toms. Of course, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on finding an 18" floor tom, but I did find a Yamaha Stage Custom 18" floor tom really cheap on Amazon ($190) so I decided to pick one up and figured just so long as it's white, it'll match with the rest of the kit.

But who knew the Yamaha Stage Custom series only uses one screw to hold on the lugs? I'm sure it works fine, but it just bugs me having these "one-point contact" lugs. Inside I feel like eventually the one screw will come loose and then it'll develop issues I'll have to deal with. It's a nice birch shell (much nicer than the "mystery wood" of the Pearl Exports), so just that alone is worth the $190, and the white matches.

However, I'm gonna try replacing the lugs with actual Pearl box lugs from the 80s. I wince about the idea of spending an additional $50 for parts I don't really need, but I figure one week we just won't have dinner out one night (which should cancel out the 50 bucks). I'll just drill an additional hole for the new lugs and see how it turns out. The Yamaha single lugs seem set really close to the hoop when the heads are on, so maybe more space between hoop and lug would be a good thing?

So the new floor tom actually cost me $240 - this still isn't a bad deal for a brand new 18x16 floor tom, is it?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Usually I agree with what you are doing with your drums. And I enjoy watching and learning from you.
But this time I don't agree. I think you should leave it along until you have a problem with the Stage Custom lugs.

When you are out playing live shows with this kit, ask the audience: "How many drummers are out there?"
Then ask: "How many of you play on a Pearl Export Kit or a Yamaha Stage Custom Kit?"
Based on the number of hands that go up you will be able to determine how many people care about what you want to do to the lugs.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sprucing up an export kit with a new 18" tom eh?

TBH, it doesn't sound good on paper. Which means nothing really.

I tried gigging my only 18" floor tom. Once. It's just too much for gigs, plus it wouldn't fit in the space I have allotted for toms in my van. It wasn't worth the hassle. So it lives in my recording studio as part of my permanently miced kit.

If I know you Bo, you have to just get it over with.

I do think the price is a little high. I would wait for a free 18" or a dirt cheap one from CL, after all it is just an Export kit.

Calling them like I see em,

Larry

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
You know how many people I've heard of having trouble with those Yamaha lugs?

Zero.

I'd just play it. An 18" floor tom has so little tension on the lugs anyway.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Usually I agree with what you are doing with your drums. And I enjoy watching and learning from you.
But this time I don't agree. I think you should leave it along until you have a problem with the Stage Custom lugs.

When you are out playing live shows with this kit, ask the audience: "How many drummers are out there?"
Then ask: "How many of you play on a Pearl Export Kit or a Yamaha Stage Custom Kit?"
Based on the number of hands that go up you will be able to determine how many people care about what you want to do to the lugs.

Hence while I’m half-wincing. But musically, I do need four toms to do a lot of that Devo music correctly, which explains the need for it. I’ll debate about the lugs...

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
That was the whole point of the design. They wanted one screw per lug so there were less holes in the shell

Yamaha has used that lug in a lot of their high end lines for many years, and I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue with it. So I wouldn’t worry too much about it

As for matching the different brands up. One of the favorite kits I ever played was a guys white oyster pearl kit that had dw bass and rack toms and sakea floor toms. I didn’t even notice the brands were different until I sat behind the kit, and the sakae lugs look completely different from DWs lugs

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
On a related note, I had a Mapex M birch kit that had 1 and a half holes per lug.

No joke this time.

One hole was clean through and the half hole was half through. The lug had a little nub that is caught into.

I always wondered why so many manufacturers lugs are so heavy and they should be just as closet to the bottom of the rim as you can get, not 3 inches down the shell.

But yea, 18" stage custom masquerading as an Export.

If you took brands out of the equation...If it were me I probably still wouldn't do it. 18's are a little much no matter what brand.

The thread title begs the question, what were your intentions?

IBitePrettyHard

I wouldn't be worried about the single-bolt lugs. I've never heard of them being an issue, even on higher tensioned drums.

I wanna hear a video of the 18! There's hardly any videos on Youtube featuring 18" floor toms.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK - I finally got around to removing a Yamaha lug, and it does indeed have one fully drilled hole, and a smaller half-drilled hole that accommodates a nub on the lug to keep it from spinning. I'll leave the drum alone and play it as is. It actually sounds nice and deep with a Evans clear G1 on the bottom and a coated G2 on top.

I repeat: I'll leave it alone.

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
OK - I finally got around to removing a Yamaha lug, and it does indeed have one fully drilled hole, and a smaller half-drilled hole that accommodates a nub on the lug to keep it from spinning. I'll leave the drum alone and play it as is. It actually sounds nice and deep with a Evans clear G1 on the bottom and a coated G2 on top.

Good man, Bo! ;) Now, have fun playing that sucker.

Jbravo

Enjoy it! I love my 18” floor tom- but it does make my 16” sound a little weak in comparison...