Is this sacrilegious or what?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If you guys really want less drums, just buy guitar music. :)
Guitar music often has the best drums.

Steve Smith on Tony MacAlpine's Edge of Insanity.

Deen Castronovo on Marty Friedman's Dragon's Kiss.

Terry Bozzio on Jeff Beck Guitar Shop.

Terry Bozzio on Steve Vai's Sex and Religion album.

Speaking guitar, I really want to take all of mine and trade them in for one really great guitar. But I'm sure I'd need to come up some significant extra cash on top of the trade ins, and I can't do that right now.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Have you never noticed no one ever talks about who plays drums with Kenny G?

I mean, he has to bring a drummer with him on tour doesn't he?

MikeM

Platinum Member
DEFINE "INADEQUATELY"
Okay, I'm just going to make something up:

To a degree less than what is required by the proper authorities?

In other words, if the measure of a decent human was to own a Kenny G Voodoo doll and subject it to daily abuse, I suspect you'd decline to be a decent human.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

In other words, if the measure of a decent human was to own a Kenny G Voodoo doll and subject it to daily abuse, I suspect you'd decline to be a decent human.
Mike, I can see a great gap in the market.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member

It depends ... he doesn't have any drum solos, does he? :)

Mike, I can see a great gap in the market.
How about Kenny G wallpaper?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Me too! Ka-Ching! I think I'll run off and buy that island now secure in the knowledge that soon I'll be able to pay for it!
I have a problem with that.... you cannot make a woodo doll for elevator's music, so by contrast, it is an unfair move towards Polly..... (but I'm sure she'll love to have that doll)

MikeM

Platinum Member
I have a problem with that.... you cannot make a woodo doll for elevator's music, so by contrast, it is an unfair move towards Polly..... (but I'm sure she'll love to have that doll)
Are you trying to suggest that Kenny G is NOT the embodiment of all that is elevator music? And don't worry, I'll see to it that Polly gets a complimentary doll and a small cache of matches, needles, and other assorted voodoo paraphernalia, including any special care and washing instructions.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Are you trying to suggest that Kenny G is NOT the embodiment of all that is elevator music? And don't worry, I'll see to it that Polly gets a complimentary doll and a small cache of matches, needles, and other assorted voodoo paraphernalia, including any special care and washing instructions.
No, not at all, Kenny G has probably been in the #1 position of the elevators' charts music longer than Bryan Adams' (Everything I Do) I Do It For You was in the UK charts, but somehow to compare it with Dave Weckl's music.... it's such a world appart.

I'm sure Polly will enjoy the woodo doll with all the gadgets, it will be like the good old days with the Barbies' set up... ;-))

8Mile

Platinum Member
I can't relate at all, to be honest. I love Cobham's solos. He's so over-the-top and fearless that I can't hear enough of those things.

All things in good measure for me. Depending on the musical situation, I don't care if I hear a drum solo. But at times, I listen to music that includes lots of drum solos. If I'm playing in a jazz setting, I'm not only allowed to solo, but I'm expected to. It's a big challenge and it demands a certain creativity and skill set.

And yeah, it's ****ing sacrilege to take those solos out. Put those g***amn things back in!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
but somehow to compare it with Dave Weckl's music.... it's such a world apart.

I'm sure Polly will enjoy the woodo doll with all the gadgets, it will be like the good old days with the Barbies' set up... ;-))
There is a branch of jazzrock stemming from George Benson, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Grover Washington, Spyro Gyra, David Sanborn, etc that we call elevator music.

And here is Dave zipping up and down in a fancy elevator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RgwM3VpIM ... as usual in fusion, the musicianship is top notch. Some would say the musicians are like Darth Vader, using their powers for evil rather than good :)

Having said that, the DW elevator song is a cut above most elevator fare ... but with a lesser drummer and soloist that tune would fit right in ...

S

sticks4drums

I can't relate at all, to be honest. I love Cobham's solos. He's so over-the-top and fearless that I can't hear enough of those things.

All things in good measure for me. Depending on the musical situation, I don't care if I hear a drum solo. But at times, I listen to music that includes lots of drum solos. If I'm playing in a jazz setting, I'm not only allowed to solo, but I'm expected to. It's a big challenge and it demands a certain creativity and skill set.

And yeah, it's ****ing sacrilege to take those solos out. Put those g***amn things back in!
Preach it baby, preach it. Just don't yell too loud you might freak them out. :0

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Make it stop! Make it stop! I honestly cannot believe that humanity created these abhorrent monstrosities.