Is this play along practice beneficial?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Uh, this might seem obvious, but why not just throw in some rock to play along with? You're acting like it's either/or. If you like funk, play mostly that... Playing is what's important; but to really understand the feel of a genre, you'll need to both listen to it a lot and play it.

pinoydrummer

Can't hurt to cross-pollinate. In fact it's arguable that rock drumming originated from the playing of soul drummers in the mid-60s, so there's a pedigree for this there. And of course, hopefully, you'll be bringing tons of groove too
So why can't you also practice to alternative rock?
Or record your band and practice to the actual songs your band plays?.
Thanks for chiming in guys.

I'll still be playing along to rock but I want to listen more to soul music. Good idea about
recording my band but I only do that when I want to analyze our playing. There are just many
good music that I can play along to that will improve my feel.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
The more different genres you play the better, in my view. Music has always developed through people fusing one style with another, or three or four.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
So why can't you also practice to alternative rock?
Or record your band and practice to the actual songs your band plays?

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
Can't hurt to cross-pollinate. In fact it's arguable that rock drumming originated from the playing of soul drummers in the mid-60s, so there's a pedigree for this there. And of course, hopefully, you'll be bringing tons of groove too

pinoydrummer

I'm currently playing along to soul, funk, r&b and hip hop in my practice time but my
current band's style right now is alternative rock. How is this going to affect my style, feel,
mindset, etc with my current band. What are your thoughts about this? I would appreciate
any suggestions.