Is this bad form?

M

Mike_In_KC

When I am keeping time on the ride cymbal with my right hand, if there is a short fill I like to play all the notes with my left hand and not bring my right hand off the ride. By short fill I mean one that starts on beat 4 (common time) and is no more than four notes. Is this bad form?

MM

WhoIsTony?

if it is comfortable for you and sounds good to you then it is fine

I don't think there is any such thing as "bad form".... just people who like to tell you that it exists and that you have it

Last edited:
M

Mike_In_KC

if it is comfortable for you and sounds good to you then it is fine

I don't think there is any such thing as "bad form".... just people who like to tell you that it exists and that you have it
Ha ! Well put Anthony - thanks as always!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wouldn't even categorize it under form. That's just a choice. I do that a lot. If I can keep the ride going while I do a little filly thing, I do so because it sounds more continuous that way.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I do it also. Actually, I like to use the toms and kick to make fun little patterns while staying on the ride, i.e. do a (insert rudiment) with right foot/left hand. Not only does it sound cool, it is good for coordination and limb independence.

Power Tom

Id say it was actually a good technique!

Im sure similar fills are independence / weak hand exercises in a million drum books / videos

brady

Platinum Member
When I am keeping time on the ride cymbal with my right hand, if there is a short fill I like to play all the notes with my left hand and not bring my right hand off the ride. By short fill I mean one that starts on beat 4 (common time) and is no more than four notes. Is this bad form?

MM
I concur with everyone else.

I sure hope it isn't bad form because I do it quite often. I love keeping the ride going while playing a little fill around the kit. I think it makes it more melodic in a sense.

Plus, Max used to do that sort of thing all the time. No one would ever say he had bad form.