Is this a shuffle, shufflie or neither?

M

Mike_In_KC

I was noodling last night trying to play this:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevegaddshufflezildjian.html

When I came up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfH-roHCBU

I know I am NOT playing what Mr. Gadd played - let's get that outta the way.

I am trying to "swing" 1/8th notes on the ride while playing 1/4 notes with my left foot. I am working on trying to add ghost notes with my left hand instead of the straight back beat on 2 and 4. But does this beat qualify as a shuffle? I know it is sloppy - I was kinda tired, yada yada excuse for sucking excuse for sucking etc etc.

MM

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
"Shuffle" implies that the 8th notes are "rounded" or swung so indeed it is.

Put more emphasis on the "bottom" (kick & snare) and you'll make it sound better.

wsabol

Gold Member
I'd say yes it is a shuffle.

Good job adding the left foot, it sounds good, and could be a helluva lot sloppier :)

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Sounds great man. Sounds like a shuffle to me.

Almost like a funked up shuffle because of the bass drum pattern. I like it. Can you play it with a track yet?

Thatd be the next step to really lock in the feel.
Try green onions to start with

Great job!!

D

brentcn

Platinum Member
Yes, you can say this is a shuffle. Any time you emphasize the first and third partials of a triplet, you have a shuffle. Whether that rhythm is played by the right hand on the hi-hat or ride, the left hand on the snare, the bass drum, or the left foot (which Gadd does in the beginning of the video) doesn't matter; it can safely be called a shuffle.

If you want to sound more authentic, adjust the spacing of the shuffle a bit. The two ride notes that are close together -- the last partial of the triplet and the first -- make them a bit closer together. You'll notice that the groove has more "momentum" when played that way. (Much easier said than done, by the way.)

Check out (and play along to) this Clapton tune.

M

Mike_In_KC

Thanks for the replies guys -

Dave - not yet re. playing it with a track. I just "came" up with it last night. Will try it with Green Onions though - good idea and memory ;-)

Wsabol - One day I will quit adding qualifiers when I post my playing. I am still daunted by the many many pros and others so far ahead of me on the journey that post their playing here - it is intimidating :)

Billy - Thanks or the advice will do. I am also trying to get my right hand to shuffle along also as Mr. Gadd does so effortlessly in his video. It is funny - if I just leave my left stick on the snare between beats and relax my grip a lot I naturally can feel where the ghost notes should go. But if I try to play the ghost notes it all falls apart. SUCH a tenuous line between a really great groove and an "ok" shuffle.... I think I am close though ;-)

Thanks again guys!

MM

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies guys -

Dave - not yet re. playing it with a track. I just "came" up with it last night. Will try it with Green Onions though - good idea and memory ;-)

Wsabol - One day I will quit adding qualifiers when I post my playing. I am still daunted by the many many pros and others so far ahead of me on the journey that post their playing here - it is intimidating :)

Billy - Thanks or the advice will do. I am also trying to get my right hand to shuffle along also as Mr. Gadd does so effortlessly in his video. It is funny - if I just leave my left stick on the snare between beats and relax my grip a lot I naturally can feel where the ghost notes should go. But if I try to play the ghost notes it all falls apart. SUCH a tenuous line between a really great groove and an "ok" shuffle.... I think I am close though ;-)

Thanks again guys!

MM
The thing to "not focus" on is *if* you allow your left hand to "wander" it will end up throwing in a lot of "character notes" that influence tiny tendrils of feel within the groove.

One thing to do is let that hand wander off into the bushes, reel it back and find a happy medium between "controlled" and "spontaneous".

Those are variables that often get overlooked.

M

Mike_In_KC

The thing to "not focus" on is *if* you allow your left hand to "wander" it will end up throwing in a lot of "character notes" that influence tiny tendrils of feel within the groove.

One thing to do is let that hand wander off into the bushes, reel it back and find a happy medium between "controlled" and "spontaneous".

Those are variables that often get overlooked.
Thanks man - I meant to say in my earlier post that I am trying to get my LEFT hand to shuffle along. I think I said my right hand initially....

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Thanks man - I meant to say in my earlier post that I am trying to get my LEFT hand to shuffle along. I think I said my right hand initially....
Yeah, let your left hand "babble". Those incoherent rhythmic strings will eventually come around and develop into something worthy.

M

Mike_In_KC

God I hate to ask this.... a friend who heard the shuffle asked if it was in 4/4 or 12/8... I shudder to ask the forum this but I am pretty sure it is in 4/4 - am I right?

MM

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
God I hate to ask this.... a friend who heard the shuffle asked if it was in 4/4 or 12/8... I shudder to ask the forum this but I am pretty sure it is in 4/4 - am I right?

MM
Well a shuffle can be counted as both, as 4 groups of triplets in 4/4 or as 12 eighth notes illustrated as 12/8 time sig.

On either count, that's correct.

M

Mike_In_KC

Well a shuffle can be counted as both, as 4 groups of triplets in 4/4 or as 12 eighth notes illustrated as 12/8 time sig.

On either count, that's correct.
THANKS! Let's see if you put this question to bed or ignited the whole house....