Is this a great deal on a set of DWs?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
A friend I know locally is willing to sell me the following items for $1,500 cash. I'm pretty sure this is an extremely good deal, but I wouldn't mind a little confirmation. :)

Here's his description and a list of the items included. Drums are in mint condition.

----------------

DW Collectors Series, Maple Shells, Royal Blue Diamond Finish. Bought in 2000. They have been used, but are in great condition. I special ordered these myself and am the only owner. I took excellent care of this kit.

9x13 Tom w/tom mount
12x15 Tom w/tom mount
16x16 Floor Tom w/RIMS floor legs
5x14 snare
16x22 Kick with May internal mic with Audix D4 mic

2 x DW 9999 tom/cymbal stand
DW 9300 Snare stand
DW 9700 cymbal stand
DW 5500TD Delta II 2-leg hi-hat stand

Safeguard Soft Cases
16x22,11x13,13x15,16x16,5.5x14

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Also, I currently have the following set, which has a 22x18 bass drum, 12x9 rack tom, and 16x14 floor tom. I like the fact that his kit has different sizes, a built-in bass drum mic, cases, and of course, a crapload of expensive stands.

It seems like my buddies kit would be great for hard rock gigs and my current smaller DW kit great for rehearsals.

S

sticks4drums

Well I love the tom sizes for the lower have of the register. I would like a couple of smaller ones up top. It sounds like a great deal. Just look up what those stands are separately. That alone is a big part of the deal. It sounds like it is ready to go out and gig with. Collector series drums in Canada for a kit, work out to about 1000 dollars a drum on average at least. He already paid the depreciation for you. As long as the colour is something you really like.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Well I love the tom sizes for the lower have of the register. I would like a couple of smaller ones up top. It sounds like a great deal. Just look up what those stands are separately. That alone is a big part of the deal. It sounds like it is ready to go out and gig with. Collector series drums in Canada for a kit, work out to about 1000 dollars a drum on average at least. He already paid the depreciation for you. As long as the colour is something you really like.
The color of my four piece set is "blue glass" (sparkle) and this one is "royal blue diamond." There's not ALOT of differences in the two and since I like blue, I guess that's cool.

I agree that the stands really make it a great deal. I think the shell pack alone could sell for $1,500 with that internal bass drum mic. Add in the stands and cases and it seems like a really good deal to me.

T

TFITTING942

I dont know anything about DW kits or prices but what did he pay in 2000 for that?? probably what you are paying i would think. also its a wrap finish not laquer or something exotic so I would think its not worth as much. That is probably a spot on price at best. I never understood the high price of resale for dw kits.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I dont know anything about DW kits or prices but what did he pay in 2000 for that?? probably what you are paying i would think. also its a wrap finish not laquer or something exotic so I would think its not worth as much. That is probably a spot on price at best. I never understood the high price of resale for dw kits.
I don't think you could put that setup together today for under $4,000. I could be wrong, but I bet it would be close to that new.

I don't think you could've gotten this setup for anywhere near $1,500 new back in the year 2000. Probably over twice that.

S

sticks4drums

I would almost guarantee that he paid more than that just for the shells alone. I am not a DW Maple drum fan at all, but for those that are, I think it is good.

T

TFITTING942

I don't think you could put that setup together today for under $4,000. I could be wrong, but I bet it would be close to that new.

I don't think you could've gotten this setup for anywhere near $1,500 new back in the year 2000. Probably over twice that.
From what i see for sale, like i said sounds like the right price. 3k in 2000 sounds high but whatever.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I just priced the exact same hardware NEW on MusiciansFriend.com and it comes to right at $899. Figure the used value somewhere around $450. That means I'd be getting the drum shells and cases for $1,050.

resohead

Silver Member
Whether it's worth it depends on what someone is willing to pay but for me, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Whether it's worth it depends on what someone is willing to pay but for me, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
True. Thanks for your input too. I think this may be too good to pass up. I'll end up with more hardware and stuff than I need, but is that a bad thing? I didn't think so. he he

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Even though I think this is a great deal, I've decided to pass on it. Too many uncertain things going on right now for me to drop $1,500 on drums I don't really need.

I may stick with the original plan of getting a cheaper set for my second set (Sonor Bop, Gretsch Catalina Jazz, etc...)

Thanks to you all for your help.

S

sticks4drums

Not sure if this helps at all, but I just can't get too excited over a drum kit that is wrapped. Had a couple in my younger years, but probably won't again. Just my Opinion guys. :)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Not sure if this helps at all, but I just can't get too excited over a drum kit that is wrapped. Had a couple in my younger years, but probably won't again. Just my Opinion guys. :)
I'm pretty new to drums, so I don't have much of an opinion on the "wrap vs. lacquer" debate. I do know that I'm picky about that stuff on my guitars, though. I'm a die-hard Gibson Les Paul dude that owns THE best sounding and playing '58 Reissue Les Paul in the world.

I don't doubt that wrap and lacquer sound different. A guitar with either no finish or a very thin finish will sound different than one with a thick poly finish.

I do like the idea that the wrap is much more durable and I'm into the sparkle and pearl style of finishes, though.

Mikecore

Silver Member
It's not a great deal...it is a TREMENDOUS deal, DW kits do hold their value as long as they are well cared for, and some of the features that make the kit somewhat dated (different STM ring or TB12 bracket, BD claws) can be updated without much trouble. The hardware is sheer bonus. 1500 for that setup is a steal.

(Can anybody bum me 15 one-hundred dollar bills?)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
It's not a great deal...it is a TREMENDOUS deal, DW kits do hold their value as long as they are well cared for, and some of the features that make the kit somewhat dated (different STM ring or TB12 bracket, BD claws) can be updated without much trouble. The hardware is sheer bonus. 1500 for that setup is a steal.

(Can anybody bum me 15 one-hundred dollar bills?)
Thanks for the info. You're NOT HELPING! HA HA HA :)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Really wierd sizes though. 9x13 and 12x15 rack toms?
I asked him about those and he said those match the right-side toms of Neil Peart's kit (or old kit?) Something to do with Neil Peart.

The "weird" sizes are one thing that seems kinda cool about it. Oh yeah, the 12x15 mounts to a stand, but is on the right side as a smaller floor tom.