Is this a good deal? Olympic Premier from the 70s

dazzlez

I'm a bit confused cause I read about vintage Olympic premier from the 60s but then these
pop up for 150£ and is from the 70s according to the seller...

olympic1.JPG

olympicsnare.JPG

"13 and 16" toms, 22" bass drum. 14x5.5 metal snare. All in very good original condition. 70's vintage drums. Vintage Ludwig wire snares and new heads on snare."

Will I be able to play in normal rock/pop band with this kit?

Good deal? GREAT deal? :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I think the price is quite reasonable, especially considering their condition. A nice little set to have, but Olympic were Premier's student grade brand of the era, & the quality is mostly fairly horrible. For gigging, the hardware especially is not fit for purpose, but the shells can be made to sound quite good with decent heads & tuning.

dazzlez

I suspected that it wouldn't be fit for gigging but I love the look of it... well well guess I'll end up with a pearl export..

KONA

Silver Member
That is a very nice Vintage kit - some drummers seek those out. I imagine you could make them sound decent. Yes, there may be hardware issues.....I don't personally know that for sure. If it was me I'd buy them and try to work around any hardware issues. A couple hundred seems fare. After all $250 (what the kit might have cost back then or even more) in mid-70's dollars is over $800 today....if you want to look at it that way.

Cleforo

It's a good deal, if it's in good condition there's no reason not to gig with them. And if they still have the thin birch shells w/ re-rings they will sound great.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Will I be able to play in normal rock/pop band with this kit?
I would think the weak links to this kit, are gonna be the spurs and the tom mount. If you're a hard hitter, might be problems. Aftermarket spurs will help the kick, and a snare stand will take care of the rack tom. Those two things will probably make this kit "gig" ready. Now note ..... that's a 6 lug bass drum. Don't see many of those.​