Is the Tama Iron Cobra pedal polarizing? Do you like it?

Do you like the Tama Iron Cobra pedal?

• I really like it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like it.

• I neither like it nor dislike it.

• Never tried it.

• Total voters

trickg

Silver Member
I use an Older (10 years or so) Iron Cobra 900 Rolling Glide. It started off as a Power Glide by I bought and installed the round cam. For me, this pedal is a feel that I like and I have a lot of control over it. I'm not a terribly fast player for anything so speed has never been an issue.

Curious - I can't seem to participate in the poll.

Skilas

I was hoping that more people would report and express their opinion on the three cobra variants, but it did not happen.
I will still try to explain the facts here. Power Glide is the most popular variant and for a reason: it has a Gear ratio of 7.3 so it is completely balanced. The Rolling Glide is a sprinter with 8.4, no wonder that not everybody likes it. The Flexi Glide is with 7.9 between the others and should be popular. But because it does not have a chain, the majority does not really take it seriously.

Last edited:

toddmc

Gold Member
I liked it fine when I had one (specifically a Tama HP900PTW Iron Cobra Power Glide twin bass drum pedal for Skilas' sake) ;)

My only minor issue was the raised metal logo on the footplate which could sometimes be a bit hard on the old footsies when playing in bare feet.

Also, I found out the hard way not to tighten the screws on the drive shaft too tightly as this can flatten the screws over time so that they don't lock down onto the shaft after a while.

Tone Laborer

No polarity issues with mine, I like it. I don't know all the variants. It's an older Power Glide HP900, no cobra coil, bought used. Slick adjustability, solid feel. Made me a better player vs. the cheaper pedal I was using. Money well spent. Drawbacks; the flexible clamp makes it slightly more difficult to attach, and the size/weight, but that's not any worse than comparable pedals.

Last edited:

Michaelj

I got a used Iron Cobra double pedal around 15 years ago - and it was pretty old when I got it. It had been refurbished (some springs and bits of hardware replaced), and the beaters had been replaced with beefy pearl ones. I always found the pedal sluggish. I don't know if that's just the pedal, the replacement parts, or I didn't dial it in right, but I never quite got comfortable with it, and ended up selling it last year after it sat in a box for a long time. Looking for a new pedal now, and am leaning towards more of a longboard style like the speed cobra, but if it feels good to play, I wouldn't rule out another iron cobra because I really like Tama hardware.

Scottie15

I might be a little late here:

I own DW 5000 Delta II double pedals, Tama Speed Cobra (1st generation) double pedals, and now own Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide (current generation) double pedals. Simply put, although my Iron Cobras are a bit slower out of the box, I much prefer the short boards over long boards.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I had a DW 5000 Turbo for a few years. I always felt like I was late on the beat, lagging. It felt heavy & sluggish. I gave it away just to move on.

Next was an Iron Cobra Flexi drive. I felt much better but not enough power.

Next was an Iron Cobra 900 Rolling Glide. It was perfect. I’ve used it since 2005.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Still can't vote but I have a double IC I bought new from around 1999/2000 that is still my main squeeze. It's set up as a single most of the time which keeps any replacement parts on the pedal during gigs. I've replaced the spring due to throwing the pedal in with the rest of the hardware and it got pinched, and the beater holder due to my same stupidity.

Scottie15

I think the adjustments Tama made on the newer models (i.e. rocking spring, fixed heel plate, etc.) are totally worth it. My Speed Cobras had issues with sway and play. Got the new Iron Cobras and those issues were fixed.

It just depends on whether you prefer a round cam (Rolling Glide), eccentric cam (Power Glide), or long boards with recessed footboard (Speed Cobra)

I tried every pedal in the store yesterday, including the new Dyna-Sync and Yamaha FP9... walked out with a good old Iron Cobra 900 Power Glide.

trickg

Silver Member
I was hoping that more people would report and express their opinion on the three cobra variants, but it did not happen.
I will still try to explain the facts here. Power Glide is the most popular variant and for a reason: it has a Gear ratio of 7.3 so it is completely balanced. The Rolling Glide is a sprinter with 8.4, no wonder that not everybody likes it. The Flexi Glide is with 7.9 between the others and should be popular. But because it does not have a chain, the majority does not really take it seriously.
Are you saying that the Rolling Glide is actually faster than the Power Glide? I thought it was the other way around, and the Rolling Glide accelerated through the stroke due to the offset cam. Is that why I prefer the Rolling Glide? For me, it was less about speed, and more about control - I never felt like I had as good of control with the Power Glide as I do with the Rolling Glide, and that's why I made the switch.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I had an IC (pre-cobra coil) Flexi Glide.
I liked it a lot, but I couldn't get used to the heel piece. It felt too high to me at that time (eons ago... '06?).
I do really like the feel of the IC line, and they have gotten nicer as years have gone by. I didn't like the Rolling or Power models before, but they seem pretty nice these days.
I played some the other day, and if I was in the market for a new pedal, I'd likely buy an IC Flexi. I got over the heel piece issue.

The new direct drive pedal Tama has is pretty dang nice too!

Skilas

Are you saying that the Rolling Glide is actually faster than the Power Glide? I thought it was the other way around, and the Rolling Glide accelerated through the stroke due to the offset cam. Is that why I prefer the Rolling Glide? For me, it was less about speed, and more about control - I never felt like I had as good of control with the Power Glide as I do with the Rolling Glide, and that's why I made the switch.
The Rolling Glide has the round cam and the significantly "faster" gear ratio, the power glide has more punch and the "acceleration" at the end of the movement. Obviously, the Rolling is better for you.

trickg

Silver Member
The Rolling Glide has the round cam and the significantly "faster" gear ratio, the power glide has more punch and the "acceleration" at the end of the movement. Obviously, the Rolling is better for you.
Oh yeah - significantly better. Like, prior to putting in the Rolling Glide cam, I was using a DW 3000 that I'd bought as a double (because I thought maybe I was going to learn how to play double pedal) and then used exclusively as a single for a while. Kinda wish I still had that 3000 - I'd upgraded the heel plate hinge for the 5000 hinge, so it was in most of the ways that counted, the same pedal as the DW 5000. I sold it when I switched back to the IC Rolling Glide. I also have an IC 600 with the switchable cam that I have set up as a Rolling Glide.

I still don't know if the IC Pedal is a polarizing pedal - I like it, and I've always liked it. If my IC 900 broke, I'd very likely replace it with another one without even considering what else might be out there - it's a feel that I like.

Skyking

Built like a tank and weigh about the same. Forget gigging and 2e00077bc19fa0724a6ea2ef68805531.jpgI never liked my stock beaters either. They felt too light for rock. But I'm done buying equipment...the wife told me so.

trickg

Silver Member
I never liked my stock beaters either. They felt too light for rock. But I'm done buying equipment...the wife told me so.
One of the things that I always thought was interesting back in the day when there would be about 3 new threads a week on PDF about "Which, Pedal is better, IC, DW 5000 or Pearl Eliminator?" was the idea that the Iron Cobra beater was lighter than the Pearl Eliminator beater. It isn't. It is more compact, but when I compared them side by side, the IC beater was actually heaver. The DW beater is the heaviest of the three though - that's not really up for debate.