Is it dumb of me to buy Constantinople?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Look here at mycymbal.com.

Select your size and style on the left and you can listen (with headphones) to a soundfile of the exact cymbal they will sell to you if you want it. You can compare same sized and series cymbals to pick out your favorite, as cymbals vary and there are usually multiple choices. I can almost instantly tell if I like a cymbal doing it this way. If I like it, then I compare it to others I like and whittle them down to my favorite while sitting at home.

If you like it and if that sound would work for your music, then yea, keep them guys employed!

brentcn

Platinum Member
I know where you can hear a whole set of Zildjian Constantinople cymbals being played.

Sizes from left to right: 18" K Constantinople Crash on top of an 18" A Rock Crash for hats, 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low/or High Ride, 24" K Light Ride and a 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low Ride with 4 rivets.

I ended up getting the whole set myself because I'm a big J.J. Johnson fan, and I fell in love with these cymbals because of his playing.
Great post. Superb example of what K Cons can sound like in a non-jazz setting! The larger models work wonderfully, in this particular musical context. They're low-pitched, with a bit of dirt, and a nice long decay. They sink deeply down into the sound of the band, rather than sticking out on top, as brighter, smaller cymbals would.

OTOH, if you want a bright "ping" from your ride cymbal, a K Con is not the way to go. They are, overall, too dark and thin. And 18" hi-hat are low, but also loud, because it's a lot more material than, say a pair of 14" hats. So maybe scale back to 15", or a pair of 16" Crashes, if you really love than sound, but want a more controlled, versatile pair of hats.

If you do buy K Cons, go with a seller who has a good return policy. Set up the cymbal while wearing work gloves, and test the cymbal with mallets, before going at it with a stick. Don't leave a single mark! You'll know if you get a bad one. I received an 18" K Con crash that was clangy and awful, but it's replacement is a beauty. My favorite rides are the Medium Thin Low and Renaissance models. I'm not particularly fond of the 14" hi-hats (too thick and bright).

556Cliff

Great post. Superb example of what K Cons can sound like in a non-jazz setting! The larger models work wonderfully, in this particular musical context. They're low-pitched, with a bit of dirt, and a nice long decay. They sink deeply down into the sound of the band, rather than sticking out on top, as brighter, smaller cymbals would.

OTOH, if you want a bright "ping" from your ride cymbal, a K Con is not the way to go. They are, overall, too dark and thin. And 18" hi-hat are low, but also loud, because it's a lot more material than, say a pair of 14" hats. So maybe scale back to 15", or a pair of 16" Crashes, if you really love than sound, but want a more controlled, versatile pair of hats.

If you do buy K Cons, go with a seller who has a good return policy. Set up the cymbal while wearing work gloves, and test the cymbal with mallets, before going at it with a stick. Don't leave a single mark! You'll know if you get a bad one. I received an 18" K Con crash that was clangy and awful, but it's replacement is a beauty. My favorite rides are the Medium Thin Low and Renaissance models. I'm not particularly fond of the 14" hi-hats (too thick and bright).
Thanks! I'm in complete agreement with what you said, and I also like that this video shows how well these big rides work as crashes... The K Cons don't have a bright crash by any means, but like you said, it does blend very well with this kind of music. You'll notice that J.J. crashes on the 24 K Light Ride quite a bit to get a brighter, louder crash than what is possible with the K Cons, all depending on what the music requires at the moment of course.

Last edited:

dirtyclinic

Here is a pic of my current setup. It's a mix of mostly K. I am kind of thinking of going more A now that I have been listening to a lot of YouTube videos.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I have a 20 in K Connie ride (Medium Thin Low) and an 18 inch K Connie crash. I use a pair of Dark Custom hi-hats with them because I liked the sound they made over K Connie hi hats. Having said all that, my full set of K Sweet's are on highest rotation for the gigs I'm doing now. It really is an ear thing so I would play in person.

Quai34

+1 for the worthless video, I was even more lost after hearing it than before.... Same playing, same pattern, and even if the K Constantinople were the last one so, I'm assuming the most expensive, I didn't think they were the best overall....I was even thinking that one Hihat from one serie was better, one ride from another and one left crash from a third serie and the right crash from a 4 th serie...

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
even if the K Constantinople were the last one so, I'm assuming the most expensive, I didn't think they were the best overall....
That's the point I was trying to make. K Cons are a very specific sound, the most expensive range but not necessarily everyone's taste.

I was even thinking that one Hihat from one serie was better, one ride from another and one left crash from a third serie and the right crash from a 4 th serie...
Good! So that's what you should buy, if you are in the market.
Knowing what you like is the key.
Lots of us mix cymbals across series for exactly that reason.