Is Guitar Center changing?

145drummie

I was reading this thread the other day so I decided to stop in to my local GC. Hadn't been there in months because of all of the reasons stated above plus I prefer to deal with the locally-owned music store in town.

I must say, I was actually impressed with the changes. Sure, there were still 5-6 cheap entry-level kits out on the floor, but there were several high-end kits in stock now, as well. A green sparkle Ludwig Classic Maple (which I cannot stop thinking about), a couple of DW collectors series, damn near every level of Pearl, etc. Probably about 20 different kits all told.

Having said that, the expensive kits were on the shelf. The cheap ones were set-up on the floor being abused. And there was no one actually working in the Drum section either. But the selection of everything drum-related had expanded greatly. They even had my particular brand/model of sticks in stock!

wildbill

Platinum Member
... Sure, there were still 5-6 cheap entry-level kits out on the floor, but there were several high-end kits in stock now, as well. A green sparkle Ludwig Classic Maple (which I cannot stop thinking about), ....

I had the same experience with a black oyster pearl Ludwig kit. Still thinking about it.
This one was set up though and I played it for a bit. I'm thinking of selling some stuff to pick it up.
Must Resist. (LOL)

DrkPhx

There are 3 GC's within my general vicinity and each drum dept is distinctly different. The closest one is terrible with no decent selection of any gear. They never have full time drum employees. I ordered a snare stand online for pick up and they couldn't find it so I had to find it for them. I will say they are professional and courteous. The second closest is much better and has a full time drummer who is cool and helpful. They also have an enclosed cymbal room for snare and cymbal testing. The furthest away is the best with an enthusiastic drummer who is very cool. I ordered a HHX Evo cymbal pack along with another cymbal. They price matched an online price for the pack and gave me 15% off the single cymbal as well. The best part was he insisted we sound match the cymbal pack to the single cymbal (there were 2 of the same model) which I thought was cool instead of just sending me on my way. I asked him why the sharp difference between the different drum depts and he said they are a Destination Drum Shop location and the others are not.