Is drumming like Donkey Kong? (reference documentary "King of Kong")

haroldo_psf

I watched that documentary the other day on Netflix instant streaming. Both my wife and I got sucked in, as it is extremelly entertaining (like a train wreck :) )

It's about the World Championship of classic arcade Donkey Kong (no, I am not kidding). Apparently, it is a huge deal for this very "special" crowd, and the World Champion has it's glamour and respect (commercials, endorsements, etc....not kidding)

The documentary centers around this ex-Boeing engineer who got laid off, and one morning woke up and decided he was going to become the next Donkey Kong World Champion (king of kong).

One thing he also picked up out of the blue was drumming...His family said he just decided one day to learn the drums, and he obssessed over it, and did it (to an extent). They show him emulating Neil Peart's solo, not bad. As a matter of fact, he ended up with a record deal, where he played the drums and wrote his own Donkey Kong themed songs... They also comment on him being good with anything related to the use of his hands while growing up.

During the documentary, as I watched him enldessly preparing for the tournament, I realized the nature of the video game. Back then (in the 70s, 80s), video games were a far cry compared to the games of today, which are full of artificial intelligence and many ways to "beat" a level. Back then, without artifical intelligence, the "challenge" of the game was in the rhythm. As levels got more difficult, the window for mistakes for narrower. At some point, you had to run, jump, jump, run, climb, jump, jump, in a certain sequence, in perfect rhythm, in order to advance. The player had to basically have the level completely memorized, mentally and muscle memory wise, in order to beat it.

When I thought about the fact that this guy picked up drumming relativelly easy, as well as (not to ruin the movie) the Donkey Kong arcade, and by thinking about what that game consists of...I can't help but ask....

Is drumming just a super elaborate game of Donkey Kong? :)

Fuo

Platinum Member
That movie is awesome. There's another movie like it called Chasing Ghosts, also on Netflix, I watched it just this last weekend. It's about that same Arcade in the midwest and the Twin Galaxies organization. And yea that dude with the sweet mullet is in it ;)

And yea, I definitely see a lot of similarities. I remember 'practicing' tapping out Mortal Combat 2 combos on my leg the way I tap out drum stuff now.

haroldo_psf

That movie is awesome. There's another movie like it called Chasing Ghosts, also on Netflix, I watched it just this last weekend. It's about that same Arcade in the midwest and the Twin Galaxies organization. And yea that dude with the sweet mullet is in it ;)

And yea, I definitely see a lot of similarities. I remember 'practicing' tapping out Mortal Combat 2 combos on my leg the way I tap out drum stuff now.
No $hit! there is another movie with the mullet guy in it? AHAHAHAH
My wife and I couldn't stop laughing at that dude. Is it on instant streaming?