Is Drumming An Addiction

utdrummer

From Dictionary.com...
Addiction---the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit forming to the extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Obsession---The domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea,image, or desire.
Hmmm...I'd say I'm a little of both actually. I would say my drumming is addictive to me in that I do tend to get cranky at times if I don't get to play some every day. OTOH, I admit to being obsessed with drumming in general as I am constantly looking at other's setups to find the ultimate kit setup that I might haven't thought of that would allow me to play effortlessly and more creatively. Keeping up with all the latest gear and new designs in drums has always been an obsession of mine as I think of the modern drumset as art. Except for n00bs placing toms in bizarre angles, most kits are quite aesthetically pleasing and a well-tuned kit is the backbone of any band. After 30+ years of playing, I'm still looking for that "perfect" kit and that ever elusive snare that I hear in my head. Here's to the endless search for the ultimate setup, and may I never find it! The journey has been a ball!

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Yes it is. I really wanted to quit and i mean REALLY wanted to quit and sell up but the drums just wouldn't let me!

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I get twitchy and irritable when I don't play for a few days. I'm pretty sure those are symptoms of addiction :)