Is Business just Business?

elpol

Thought I'd share a conversation 'muse' from this am with a guitarist friend and frequent collaborator of mine.

Being a veteran 'Warhorse' in this biz, one observes a lot about not just music, but life in general.

Ever noticed the double-standard where an 'Artist' who takes care of business is sometimes labeled as being 'hard to work with' or 'only about the $$' and sometimes even 'inflexible or not very easy going'? Whereas, a 'regular' business person or entrepreneur who is 'Artistic' will be sometimes dismissed as being 'flaky' or 'eccentric'?

Just one of life's quirky ironies, I guess.

Thoughts?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
...and in Business, Men are sharp dressers, and Women are Clothes Horses.
Stereotypes and prejudices are everywhere.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Ever noticed the double-standard where an 'Artist' who takes care of business is sometimes labeled as being 'hard to work with' or 'only about the $$' and sometimes even 'inflexible or not very easy going'? Whereas, a 'regular' business person or entrepreneur who is 'Artistic' will be sometimes dismissed as being 'flaky' or 'eccentric'?
It just shows that the two were never meant to mix...

PQleyR

Platinum Member
That's like saying you shouldn't mix music and eating. You need to be alive to make art!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure where those analogies come from, I've met a lot of people in a lot of positions with a lot of perspectives, and only a few could be stereotyped like that. Anyone can be hard to work with or flaky or anything else, and it's unrelated to what they do. I find that above a certain level of professionalism - in any field - thankfully those traits are less evident.

Bermuda

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I hold an undergraduate in Economics - Finance, and an MBA. I've worked in real estate, electronic funds transfer, aerospace, financial services, banking, consulting, and telecommunications. I went all the way through public school and college music programs, plus have played in rock bands along the way. I can honestly testify I have met some real a$$holes along the way in both business and music.

On the flip side, I have met some really fine people in both business and music. I've had some really fine bosses and mentors - both in business and music.

It all depends on the indivdual person - regardless of race, color, creed, sex, or national origin.

I've had some really crappy bosses - both males and females. And I've had some wonderful bosses and mentors who were male or female.

It all depends on the person.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Thought I'd share a conversation 'muse' from this am with a guitarist friend and frequent collaborator of mine.

Being a veteran 'Warhorse' in this biz, one observes a lot about not just music, but life in general.

Just one of life's quirky ironies, I guess.

Thoughts?
I'd say those are the two extremes of a wide range, not an either/or categorization.

elpol

Of course there's no black and white, only shades. It's just one of those things that sometimes one notices, while another couldn't care less, or doesn't even notice. I've experienced pretty much all degrees of the spectrum myself...

And for whatever the reasons Bermuda, the topic does come up amongst me and my peers from time to time (all pros just like myself). For me, it's more about the perception of a double-standard. Could also be just a quirk of some of the people within the musical scene I tend to work most frequently in. And perhaps, just maybe, I've been hanging with too many people who tend to generalize... ;-)