Interesting stuffs.

Guz2

I found out that the average performing drummer is as physically fit as the average Premiership football (soccer) player. That's pretty cool, considering most Prem players train everyday and have a strict diet. I also read that they run the equivalent of five miles each match. Most drummers are just normal people who don't have strict diets and personal trainers. Pity the average drummer doesn't earn as much as footballers...

Discuss.

That Guy

Platinum Member
Interesting find. Would you happen to have a link to an article about it or did you hear it word of mouth? I would like to see what they base these findings on.

Personally, I couldn't see Carter Beauford playing soccer. Sorry Carter :)

diosdude

Silver Member
aerobic vs anaerobic. Apples and oranges. There's no way i could run up and down a soccer (thank you for the FOOTBALL clarification, us YANKS are just a bunch of bloody pad-wearing tossers) field for 90 minutes. By the same hand though, there's not a single non-drumming footballer that could play a 212 bpm blast beat over a 64 bar phrase.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
That's ridiculous. There are plenty of drummers who are clearly nowhere near slim enough to be a premiership footballer. Whilst i would say it's more physically demanding then say darts perhaps, it's nothing compared to football.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That report was on here once before and the "scientist" stated that the heart rate of a drummer at times would reach the same level as a soccer player. Far from being as fit.
I played soccer thru high school and at college and I guarantee that my heart rate and fitness level playing the drums has never been that of what it was playing soccer. And although not a Doctor I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

And a quick read of that article seems that he tested one drummer! Not enough evidence to convince me.
Imagine the shape Angus from AC/DC must be in running around the stage all night.

Guz2

Apparently Keith Moon burnt the same amount of calories in one concert as a lumberjack burns in a week. But then again Keith Moon was a total f*cking maniac! :p

That Guy

Platinum Member
And a quick read of that article seems that he tested one drummer! Not enough evidence to convince me.
Agreed, but it is a neat article. I played sports my entire life and I will say that most sports give you spurts of an accelerated heart rate. If one has gigged every night (rock drumming) they will admit that an accelerated heart rate is more constant compared to those when engaged in sports activities.

It is an interesting article.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I play to many functions with food, that's why my two daughters call me Peter Griffin. I work hard playing the drums but then I find the buffet. Imagine if I didn't play?

That Guy

Platinum Member
I play to many functions with food, that's why my two daughters call me Peter Griffin. I work hard playing the drums but then I find the buffet. Imagine if I didn't play?

It sure is horrible how much worse it gets with age huh? :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Apparently Keith Moon burnt the same amount of calories in one concert as a lumberjack burns in a week. But then again Keith Moon was a total f*cking maniac! :p
Watching last years Discovery Channel about the Axemen, it was reported they burn between 8000 and 9000 calories a day. Keith Moon must have played real hard. Where do these things come from.

I’ve been knocked off my seat by my Wife a time or to for playing to loud, but I don’t think 156 pounds soaking wet I would last a minute on a field of any kind.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I guarantee you that if I went outside and played a pick-up game of football right now w/ some moderately-fit friends...I'd be praying for death in about 20 minutes. I practice for hours every night and I'd be alarmed if it felt like the fitness regimen of a serious athlete - I'd be doing something wrong.

SharkyBait911

Watching last years Discovery Channel about the Axemen, it was reported they burn between 8000 and 9000 calories a day. Keith Moon must have played real hard. Where do these things come from.
Yeh thats the thing, I think most of these "I heard that " kind of statments are a bit far feched, If you just stoped and thought about what it was that you heard you must relise it can't be true, I cannot belive that Keith moon playing for a while can burn around 63000 calories it's not possible...

Guz2

Keith Moon can do anything. :p

Anyway, I said "performing" drummers, I.E drummers who play every night on tour plus warm ups and sound checks etc. That's got to be draining.