Interesting minimalist style...

Skyking

My thoughts exactly. It's all tension. Where's the release?
I think Boomka is spot on. The performance seemed very self (drummer) promoting and the music got lost in his shuffle. IMO the snare was too loud and way too busy. Kinda, like a mid western hailstorm with no let up. Yeah, the cymbals sounded great but the snare was always drowning them out. Can you imagine listening to that for 6 minutes on your car radio... bam, bam, bam, bam, bam? I'd pull over and look under the hood.

Last edited:

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Awesome, love it! I guess he meant minimalist music, not the drumming in particular...?

I absolutely don't think this is drummer's music or drummer's drumming - well
it is maybe - but to me the playing as well as the sounds fit the style perfectly.
Could as well be something you hear in a fashion store or something... :). Not
to say that it's muzak, but I think it could easily appeal to listeners who don't
care about details or drumming at all.

Like Martin Garrix' Animals, he made some interesting triplet stuff IMO, but I'm
sure none of the listeners care on that level :).

Galadrm

I was digging it and feeling the bass connection, but I looked over at my wife who had a face. She said "its like smack smack — other stuff, smack smack - other stuff." So, I need to accept that drummer appreciation may not convey to non-drummers.
Its definitely cool stuff, interesting drum texture and sounds. But I can definitely see your wife's perspective. It is fairly busy and drum based music, and I am not sure how well the fast dry drums work with the smooth soaring synths and delicate voices. I think I feel the same as toddbishop, I would appreciate some minimal drumming on that track and think it would contribute better to the overall feel of the track.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I was digging it and feeling the bass connection, but I looked over at my wife who had a face. She said "its like smack smack — other stuff, smack smack - other stuff." So, I need to accept that drummer appreciation may not convey to non-drummers.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
In the beginning it was a little difficult to hear that it was in four, but I found it very much interesting and fresh!

Nice feel, nice ideas, congrats !

opentune

Platinum Member
for real minimalist type 'kick snare hat' on you tube, plenty of great playing....some even done on railroad tracks

M

Matt Bo Eder

Very cool, but yeah, not minimalist. I wonder how many weddings/casuals you'd get to play this song at ;)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Yeah, not minimalist or particularly interesting, but he does it well!

Bermuda

G

Ghostnote

Not sure I'd call that minimalist. He's playing a smaller kit, but he's staying pretty busy the whole time.