Interesting bit of Beatles trivia

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Rolling Stone Magazine has released a collectors edition of The Beatles 100 greatest songs, with an article on each song. VERY interesting read. I'm only like 8 songs deep so far but I read something that maybe not many people know about. It's nothing earth shattering but interesting nonetheless.

You know in "A Day in a Life" where the alarm clock sounds right before the line "Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head"?

John Lennon added the alarm clock as a gag. It was a studio joke, intended to "wake up" Ringo because that's where the drum part starts. And it almost sounds as if Ringo just made it to the downbeat in the nick of time. I thought that was pretty funny.

That's it. As you were. Carry on.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled drum programming.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Rolling Stone Magazine has released a collectors edition of The Beatles 100 greatest songs, with an article on each song. VERY interesting read. I'm only like 8 songs deep so far but I read something that maybe not many people know about. It's nothing earth shattering but interesting nonetheless.

You know in "A Day in a Life" where the alarm clock sounds right before the line "Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head"?

John Lennon added the alarm clock as a gag. It was a studio joke, intended to "wake up" Ringo because that's where the drum part starts. And it almost sounds as if Ringo just made it to the downbeat in the nick of time. I thought that was pretty funny.

That's it. As you were. Carry on.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled drum programming.
I wonder . . . ??? The Beatles put out the DVD and the accompanying book so that we would have an authoritative take on their legacy. I remember that it was put in their as an editing cue, and they decided to keep it in. Why dis Ringo? I'll have to go through my DVD. I don't have the book.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No dis intended Ken, just a lighthearted thing was my impression. Humor, nothing more or less, that's the impression I got from the article. They all loved Ringo. Have you ever heard a negative word about Ringo from the rest of the Beatles? I can't recall any bad press about the ringed one.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh man Mr Mayor, you need to get this read. As does anybody who loves music, The Beatles were so paradigm shifting. I've been getting a little further into it and you really get the feeling that everything you are reading is from the source and not filtered. Some of the stories!

Here's a small one: George Martin doubted Ringo's abilities in the beginning, judging him on seeing him play a slower "cast off" version of "Please, Please Me". (Ringo was playing bass drum, with a tamborine in one hand and a maraca in the other!) But when the band heeded some suggestions to pick it up, they later reworked it and changed the tempo and feel. When they presented it at a different session, with the song transformed into it's final form, after hearing how awesome it was, Martin then realized and conceded that Ringo certainly had the skills. Ringo really did swing that tune.

They also alluded to an unidentified session drummer being used on "Love Me Do" which I found confusing.

But it's chock full of great insights. Each song gets an in depth article about it revealing really honest details.

jayblazeff

Did you know that Bernard Purdie played all the drum tracks on every single Beatles album? Not a single song was actually Ringo on drums. :)~

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Did you know that you are about the 20th person the write this and the only person that believes it is Bernhard Purdie.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Did you know that you are about the 20th person the write this and the only person that believes it is Bernhard Purdie.
There's no taking away from Purdie, his ability or his legacy as far as studio greatness is concerned. But how is it he's never been held to account for his wild claims. Has anyone actually ever called him out on it?

S

Stickit

Oh man Mr Mayor, you need to get this read. As does anybody who loves music, The Beatles were so paradigm shifting. I've been getting a little further into it and you really get the feeling that everything you are reading is from the source and not filtered. Some of the stories!

Here's a small one: George Martin doubted Ringo's abilities in the beginning, judging him on seeing him play a slower "cast off" version of "Please, Please Me". (Ringo was playing bass drum, with a tamborine in one hand and a maraca in the other!) But when the band heeded some suggestions to pick it up, they later reworked it and changed the tempo and feel. When they presented it at a different session, with the song transformed into it's final form, after hearing how awesome it was, Martin then realized and conceded that Ringo certainly had the skills. Ringo really did swing that tune.

They also alluded to an unidentified session drummer being used on "Love Me Do" which I found confusing.

But it's chock full of great insights. Each song gets an in depth article about it revealing really honest details.
Well, actually, "Love Me Do" was also recorded by Andy White, George Martin wanted a "professional" studio musician, because he did not know Ringo and did not want to take a chance. Ringo recorded it as well and the rest is history.

Last edited:
C

Crazy8s

There's no taking away from Purdie, his ability or his legacy as far as studio greatness is concerned. But how is it he's never been held to account for his wild claims. Has anyone actually ever called him out on it?
I doubt anyone is going to call him out on it. I think it is the funniest thing in all of drumming history that Purdie says that! Just like Purdies playing sounds like being on Cloud 9, so to I think he is on Cloud 9. He just loves to have a good time, and his playing sure is good time. I think everyone just lets him believe all that.

(I am pretty confident that Ringo played on atleast most of the recordings, if not all.)

S

Stickit

Paul played the drums on "Back in the U.S.S.R."

Last edited:

73Rogers

I need to find that Magazine to go with the rest of my Beatles literature.
I highly recommend "Magical mystery tours : my life with the Beatles" by Tony Bramwell with Rosemary Kingsland.

Bramwell was childhood friends with the band and had a long career working with them. He's also sort of the unofficial band historian from a couple of accounts I've read. A good read for the Beatles fan.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I doubt anyone is going to call him out on it. I think it is the funniest thing in all of drumming history that Purdie says that! Just like Purdies playing sounds like being on Cloud 9, so to I think he is on Cloud 9. He just loves to have a good time, and his playing sure is good time. I think everyone just lets him believe all that.

(I am pretty confident that Ringo played on atleast most of the recordings, if not all.)
It's absolutely outrageous that someone who has accomplished so much feels the need to carry on like that. Someone needs to sit him down and "splain" how silly it is to profusely bullshit on something that can be so easily checked. If Vinnie started taking credit for laying down Moon the loon's drum parts, I'd expect people to quite rightly, throw bottles at him........all very strange for mine.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Once, I was at NAMM, and I was using the mens room.

Purdie walks in, and uses the next urinal.

It was kind of awkward, because, you know, we're just there taking care of natures call, but all I could think was "How can you claim to have played on the Beatles track in light of the overwhelming evidence that you did not!?!?!"

Of course, I didn't say thing. I finished up and left.

But man, it was weird.

Migaluch

Wait... Bernhard Purdie actually says that and believes that!!???

But i love Purdie! How can he lie like that to the drumming community?

Im confused too... Purdie must be getting old...when did he state this?

C

Crazy8s

It's absolutely outrageous that someone who has accomplished so much feels the need to carry on like that. Someone needs to sit him down and "splain" how silly it is to profusely bullshit on something that can be so easily checked. If Vinnie started taking credit for laying down Moon the loon's drum parts, I'd expect people to quite rightly, throw bottles at him........all very strange for mine.
...but you can't help but like the guy! You know what I mean? Its like everyone knows he is full of shit when he says it, but you just like the guy so much that you don't bring it up. Cesrtainly you;ve seen him up there all hootin and a hollerin and a whompin and a woopin'!

Just livin' the dream, yo. Livin' the muthrFin dream.... :) :) :)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
...but you can't help but like the guy!
For sure mate.......I've gotta admire anyone who can actually groove before he picks up his sticks.....man, he even grooves when he speaks......despite some of that speech being mindless bollocks!

Still, I wish someone would 'splain it to him. :)