Instruction for Band Leaders on how to communicate with drummers

Davo-London

Gold Member
I started playing drums after decades of playing bass because I couldn't communicate to our worship band drummer who was a brilliant player and musician. I just didn't know where to start in terms of groove and which ppart of the kit to play and what sound I wanted etc. 8 years later the shoe's on the other foot as I notice band leaders struggling to communicate with their drummers or me!

So I did think about producing a video for them to help with communications.

It would be pretty basic in terms of drumming skill level, which is all we need for church, but the point would be to get more communication going rather than "it's not what I want but I don't how to change it", which is what currently exists.

I was thinking the video instruction would cover:
  1. Naming the drum parts
  2. Basic drum terminology
  3. The main elements of a groove
  4. How accents and dynamics can change the groove
  5. When to fill and the types of fill
  6. The differences between hihat and ride and when to crash

Obviously you could add to this but for a first pass I would have thought this would get things going.

I'd be very interested to hear if someone has done this already or if you have comments on the content of the instruction.

Peace
Davo

AndyMC

I would include a list of standard beats with proper names, money beat, blues swing, etc. So they stop saying stuff like the bouncy one.

xsarith

Im going to assume that this is going to be for all non-drummer musicians of every genre, so this is going off my thread a couple nights ago, and that is dont treat it like drums are a toy and are indestructible. meaning, no jumping/diving/posing/climbing/throwing/kicking on (to) the kit. Thats mainly for punk, rock and metal though.

Guess it could come under drum etiquette, like a list of do's and do not's for non-drummer musicians....or possibly drummers too.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I find the only good way to discuss specifics without wasting time is to make them use sub-division counts. For example, "So you want that accent on the 'e' of the 4th beat?" is a lot more productive than "Dude, just go like this 'boom, chick, dat-dat, buh, chick, boom". Invariably, when I try to apply their little singing drums number into a real division grid, it's not what they wanted.

Good news is that guitar players almost never care about anything past 16ths, so it never really gets too complicated.

The other option, assuming they have the talent, is to have them sing the drum part, while they play the guitar line... This also ensures that things get put in the right place, but it's harder for them to do.