INJURED! And being a wimp about it!

H

Hellwyck

So, I've been diagnosed as suffering from Achilles Bursitis. Don't know what happened, I usually take these long walks around the entire worksite (Disneyland Resort) and by the end of the day on Saturday, my left heel area got sore. Sunday I go in limping a bit, and then Monday stepping on the heel is a sharp pain. Went to the doctor.

Now I'm out of commission for at least five days, my upper body is all sore from attempting to move around with crutches (I guess I'm so out of shape I don't use those muscles, either). All I can do is ice the heel area and take large doses of ibuprofen. And after a full day of taking this stuff, I'm not feeling any better! I can't play, let alone walk. Hobbling out to the car to go somewhere is almost a dangerous proposition. Having a hard time doing simple things like washing the dishes and cleaning up. This sucks!

Of course, the company nurse tells me, "well you're at that age you know..." And I'm like, "speak for yourself sister!" I hope none of you are neglecting how you walkabout!
Try Osteoarthritis at 33 years old!

I can still drum as well as I could as a young 'un but it's tougher

john gerrard

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I feel your pain. I just had a quadrouple by pass surgery. I had my daughter set my drums up when I came home from the hospital and to everyones horror I started playing on the third week after surgery. The main thing was if it hurt I eased up or rested.

A few years ago I wrecked a cycle and shattered my wrist. Had to have surgery and had it pinned in two places. The Dr. said I wouldn't play drums again. I did alot of rehab on my own and everything is fine now. Take your time and you will be fine.

The best thing for you is to find out what kind of streching exercises you need to do to build up strength so that it is not a repeating problem. Good Luck. John

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Sorry Bo, I missed this thread. Bummer about the tendon. A coincidence ... last Saturday at tennis a pain I've had for a while in my right Achilles tendon reached the point where I couldn't ignore it. I felt down there and there's a lump. Google then told me this:

* Mild – pain in the Achilles tendon during a particular activity (such as running) or shortly after.
* Moderate – the Achilles tendon may swell. In some cases, a hard lump (nodule) may form in the tendon.
* Severe – any type of activity that involves weight bearing causes pain of the Achilles tendon. Very occasionally the Achilles tendon may rupture (tear). When an Achilles tendon ruptures, it is said to feel like a hard whack on the heel.

Of course, any condition involving crutches is severe - except perhaps for death, where the use of crutches would suggest a very mild case indeed.

I'm guessing you've been giving the pad a workout in the past few days. Get well vibes being transmitted from Oz (not that it's much use, judging by my own tendon, but hey)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thanks Pol and John. It's a bursitis condition, according to the doctor it's the part of the ligament that goes around my heel, and not the tendon itself. So the foot looks fine, but I guess the bursa is inflammed and in the beginning putting any kind of pressure on it caused a sharp pain. Over the last day or so it went to a dull pain, but when I try to walk normal, there's still some discomfort. I've been off work all week since I have to do a considerable amount of walking on my job, I'm kinda' useless to them with this condition.

Not being able to go to work has caused a slight depression so I haven't been playing either. I'm tempted to try to see if playing heel-up causes any discomfort. It shouldn't. The doctor says I got this by hitting the heel pretty hard while walking. The drugs are working, I think.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, any condition involving crutches is severe - except perhaps for death, where the use of crutches would suggest a very mild case indeed.
Gwaff gwaff, an absolute classic. I nearly had to tie a knot in it!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Andy, when I thought about conditions that involve crutches, well ...

Thanks Pol and John. It's a bursitis condition, according to the doctor it's the part of the ligament that goes around my heel, and not the tendon itself. So the foot looks fine, but I guess the bursa is inflammed and in the beginning putting any kind of pressure on it caused a sharp pain. Over the last day or so it went to a dull pain, but when I try to walk normal, there's still some discomfort. I've been off work all week since I have to do a considerable amount of walking on my job, I'm kinda' useless to them with this condition.

Not being able to go to work has caused a slight depression so I haven't been playing either. I'm tempted to try to see if playing heel-up causes any discomfort. It shouldn't. The doctor says I got this by hitting the heel pretty hard while walking. The drugs are working, I think.
Oh right, so it's a tad lower than the Achilles.

For me, not being able to go to work would give me more cause to crack open the bubbly than be depressed. I'd be feeling like this! This is a great chance to become a bongo master or practice your singing. Work on your memoirs.

It seems that your walking style was distributing your weight less evenly than ideal. Have you gained much weight in recent years? That's the reason for my ankle problem; I am 20 kilos (44lbs) heavier than my lowest adult weight (when I had xylophone ribs). Damn hard to get the weight off at middle age too.

I guess one thing that would help both of us is making sure we have good cushioning in our shoes.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Andy, when I thought about conditions that involve crutches, well ...

Oh right, so it's a tad lower than the Achilles.

For me, not being able to go to work would give me more cause to crack open the bubbly than be depressed. I'd be feeling like this! This is a great chance to become a bongo master or practice your singing. Work on your memoirs.

It seems that your walking style was distributing your weight less evenly than ideal. Have you gained much weight in recent years? That's the reason for my ankle problem; I am 20 kilos (44lbs) heavier than my lowest adult weight (when I had xylophone ribs). Damn hard to get the weight off at middle age too.

I guess one thing that would help both of us is making sure we have good cushioning in our shoes.
Well, I've gained weight, but not much in the past ten years. This doctor thinks I could have banged the heel pretty bad when coming down stairs, or twisted on it a funny way. But I'm not going to admit I gained ALOT of weight.... I normally wear New Balance cross trainers at work since I'm having to walk around so much. Could've just over-extended the foot on one of my routine three-mile walks around the resort.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I got bursitis in the bursa at the base of my tailbone once from bike riding. I ended up having to get a cortisone shot right in it, but that took care of it and it hasn't come back after 20 years or so. Maybe something like that is in order.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
According to the New England Journal of Medicine, if you rest the injured limb in the crux of 2 healthy female breasts twice a day for a week, your mood will elevate, promoting healing.
Now the trick is to locate 2 healthy firm breasts where you can rest your foot....

Hmmmmm...

Stroman

Platinum Member
According to the New England Journal of Medicine, if you rest the injured limb in the crux of 2 healthy female breasts twice a day for a week, your mood will elevate, promoting healing.
Now the trick is to locate 2 healthy firm breasts where you can rest your foot....

Hmmmmm...
In that case, I believe I've injured my...

No, no, we'll keep it tasteful. Well, close, anyway.

wsabol

Gold Member
Dude. I'm right there with you. I tore a ligament in my right ankle. So no bass drum for a while. haha.. I also sprained my left wrist a month or two ago. And I don't think it healed right. My body is falling apart! AHHH!!!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

Hmmmmm...
Been there, done that ;)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Well, I've gained weight, but not much in the past ten years. This doctor thinks I could have banged the heel pretty bad when coming down stairs, or twisted on it a funny way. But I'm not going to admit I gained ALOT of weight.... I normally wear New Balance cross trainers at work since I'm having to walk around so much. Could've just over-extended the foot on one of my routine three-mile walks around the resort.
Bo, so you only picked up ABIT of weight ... AFEW pounds, eh? Seems like you were doing everything right, apart from maybe your walking action. Going upstairs is harder to do but going downstairs is a real issue on the joints and you have to be ABIT careful with it once you reach OUR age (that's payback for "ALOT" :)

Not sure about Larry's treatment suggestion. I just tried it with my sore left hand and it didn't work :p

I got bursitis in the bursa at the base of my tailbone once from bike riding. I ended up having to get a cortisone shot right in it ...
My blood ran cold when I read that ... a cortisone shot right-in-it *shudder*

Bertram

Silver Member
Just carry a huge bunch of frozen ´pizza's into your living room ( remember a microwave ) ten just place yourself in front of the television, and enjoy your meal.
I'd rather do that for a week or two than humping and playing shitty for a half year, What do you think? Eat your pills or whatever it is, and get fresh faster.. you aren't fresh if you can hump arround.. you're fresh when you don't have too. keep in mind that weight is a problem with my strategy. Weight is worth it!

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Right now I have a pinched nerve in my lower back. So my back hurts, and I have pain from the right groin to the hip and top part of my upper right leg. Playing drums at church Wednesday only hurt when I leaned over to play cross stick clicks, so I am taking my Jam Block tomorrow morning. I ordered another Jam Block for my outside of church playing, and I also ordered backrests for both thrones. Moving my arms around does not hurt, so I will just have to learn to keep my back straight. An Icey Hot pad helps the back but not the rest of it. Peace and goodwill.

Stroman

Platinum Member
My blood ran cold when I read that ... a cortisone shot right-in-it *shudder*
Yes, it was exciting, and not in a good way! Shot wasn't so bad itself, but the doc wanted to make sure it went right in the spot that hurt the most, which means he had to FIND the spot that hurt the most...

I have to say, though, that the recovery afterward was amazing. Totally worth it.

Frank

Gold Member
Best thing to do is to listen to the doc and ride it out. You'll be back.

A couple of years ago, I really messed up my ankle and leg - 3 different breaks, screws, operations, the whole deal. It was devastating, and - it was extremely painful. But I eventually came back from it. You'll be back to SuperBo status soon.

stevo

After nearly cutting off two fingers at the last knuckle, I am about four months into finally being able to play at about the level I was at pre injury. I have had to make some adjustments in how I hold my sticks, because I do still have some limitations... but I have been determined to not let the injury be a reason to not play again.
Keep playing, and try to work through some pain. Easier said than done, I know.

aaajn

Silver Member
Bo, Sorry about the injury. I was going to start a new thread about a similar issue and decided to hitch hike, sorry if this appears to be a high jack. Not intended.

Since Christmas, my elbow is sore as heck, started in my neck, got films, Doc says there are some narrowing thiga ma jigs that compression something or another. Bottom line, my right elbow hurts and its weak.

Now I work in a hospital, so I guess it is like the cobbler's kid who have crappy shoes. But the worst part is I can't drum much. It's hard to pick up the sticks when every note reminds you there is something broken. Getting bummed out on a major level. Will go back today in between crisis's. This is getting old. (and so am I)

FWIW: I am an Army guy, work pace is insane, I have a history of breaking, banging stuff, fell out of airplanes for a few years, bicycle crashes, no wonder my body is a mess. But drumming always makes things better and now I can't do that. *#$(*#@&%$*(@!!!

This thing has hurt since Christmas.

Thanks for listening. Hope your issue gets better ASAP, I know it bums you out. And by the way, I am of that age that nurse cratchet so compassionately pointed out.
John

So, I've been diagnosed as suffering from Achilles Bursitis. Don't know what happened, I usually take these long walks around the entire worksite (Disneyland Resort) and by the end of the day on Saturday, my left heel area got sore. Sunday I go in limping a bit, and then Monday stepping on the heel is a sharp pain. Went to the doctor.

Now I'm out of commission for at least five days, my upper body is all sore from attempting to move around with crutches (I guess I'm so out of shape I don't use those muscles, either). All I can do is ice the heel area and take large doses of ibuprofen. And after a full day of taking this stuff, I'm not feeling any better! I can't play, let alone walk. Hobbling out to the car to go somewhere is almost a dangerous proposition. Having a hard time doing simple things like washing the dishes and cleaning up. This sucks!

Of course, the company nurse tells me, "well you're at that age you know..." And I'm like, "speak for yourself sister!" I hope none of you are neglecting how you walkabout!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Bo, Sorry about the injury. I was going to start a new thread about a similar issue and decided to hitch hike, sorry if this appears to be a high jack. Not intended.

Since Christmas, my elbow is sore as heck, started in my neck, got films, Doc says there are some narrowing thiga ma jigs that compression something or another. Bottom line, my right elbow hurts and its weak.

Now I work in a hospital, so I guess it is like the cobbler's kid who have crappy shoes. But the worst part is I can't drum much. It's hard to pick up the sticks when every note reminds you there is something broken. Getting bummed out on a major level. Will go back today in between crisis's. This is getting old. (and so am I)

FWIW: I am an Army guy, work pace is insane, I have a history of breaking, banging stuff, fell out of airplanes for a few years, bicycle crashes, no wonder my body is a mess. But drumming always makes things better and now I can't do that. *#$(*#@&%$*(@!!!

This thing has hurt since Christmas.

Thanks for listening. Hope your issue gets better ASAP, I know it bums you out. And by the way, I am of that age that nurse cratchet so compassionately pointed out.
John
Thanks again everyone for all the well-wishes. I do understand that other people have aches and pains as well. I'm not trying to me a diva about it or anything. Like you said, it just sucks. I hope your pain gets better. Mine is slowly fading away (well, slower than I'd like -I might have this limp for a while, but at least I can get around now) and I hate the fact that I got it just by walking around. You have a way better excuse!