INJURED! And being a wimp about it!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So, I've been diagnosed as suffering from Achilles Bursitis. Don't know what happened, I usually take these long walks around the entire worksite (Disneyland Resort) and by the end of the day on Saturday, my left heel area got sore. Sunday I go in limping a bit, and then Monday stepping on the heel is a sharp pain. Went to the doctor.

Now I'm out of commission for at least five days, my upper body is all sore from attempting to move around with crutches (I guess I'm so out of shape I don't use those muscles, either). All I can do is ice the heel area and take large doses of ibuprofen. And after a full day of taking this stuff, I'm not feeling any better! I can't play, let alone walk. Hobbling out to the car to go somewhere is almost a dangerous proposition. Having a hard time doing simple things like washing the dishes and cleaning up. This sucks!

Of course, the company nurse tells me, "well you're at that age you know..." And I'm like, "speak for yourself sister!" I hope none of you are neglecting how you walkabout!

C

Crazy8s

I broke a finger bone and I saw my life flash before my eyes. It was a near death experience for me because I would die if I couldn't play my drums.

Take it easy Bo. Don't lose control of that foot.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Ask your doctor if you can get a steroid (like hydrocortizone) shot. It might help you heal (pun intended) faster, especially if you have a gig coming up.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I've had foot pain from time to time. I severly sprained one foot playing football in hgih school, and it has never been the same since. Losing a few pounds usually helps me with the problem, and staying off it for a little while.

Still, in general, I don't let it slow me down from hiking, biking, working out, etc. I always buy shoes or sneakers that have good padding, and try to avoid walking barefoot as much as possible.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Sorry to hear that Bo. I hope it doen't threaten your rodent gig. Seems like there's a couple of fix suggestions worth looking into. Good luck with it.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thanks for the well wishes. Maybe the doctor is right. He says I have to stay sort of immobile and to take this ibuprofen (since I don't take drugs, 600mg of this stuff makes me a little light-headed) for at least five days. Well, by now, the sharp pain has gone to a dull pain, which means it's not as painful to limp around the house this way. Maybe I am getting better....

This just reminds me how much I take for granted having good legs and feet to walk on. No more. Taking a few minutes (as opposed to that three seconds) to just get down the hallway in my house to the kitchen really sucks!

I got the calendar for the rodent gig, and it looks like we go into rehearsal next month. So I have at least two weeks to heal up!

chaymus

I jumped off a garage roof once and limped around for 2 months straight before I could work up to normal walking speed. They're some of the hardest injuries to work through because load bearing is their primary task.

Hercules

That's no good Bo - I commiserate. I had strained achilles tendons at Christmas and man it hurt to walk - they're nearly better now thank goodness. I also blame walking on a hard surface as the cause of it and had never had it before..... (and never want it again).

Gentle massage and Dencorub helped a lot - maybe you can bribe your other half to help with that....

daredrummer

Gold Member
I broke a finger bone and I saw my life flash before my eyes. It was a near death experience for me because I would die if I couldn't play my drums.

Take it easy Bo. Don't lose control of that foot.
I've broken the same finger 3 times and I can still play just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, LOL

Best of luck, Bo

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've broken the same finger 3 times and I can still play just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, LOL

Best of luck, Bo
Thanks. Oddly enough, a hand issue doesn't worry me as much as not being able to walk or dance around if I have to - not being able to do these things really tears into my career at my work. I'm not ready to just sit at a desk just yet.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Best advice I can give you is don't push it, don't be impatient. Give yourself time to heal fully or you could wind up doing more damage to yourself. Enjoy your few days off, have Mo come over and tend to you (you can lay the "hurt and in distress" card a little freely, heh heh). Get better soon, good luck man.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Try and follow your Dr's instructions as much as possible. For that type of thing, good supportive shoes can't be overemphasized, either. Foot injuries take a LONG time to heal up. I'm still struggling with the surgery I had in November. The repaired tendon and bone are OK, but I have peripheral issues due to the different mechanics of my foot. Be patient and good luck!!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Thanks. Oddly enough, a hand issue doesn't worry me as much as not being able to walk or dance around if I have to - not being able to do these things really tears into my career at my work. I'm not ready to just sit at a desk just yet.
It could be worse! A friend of mine has a bad hip and is waiting an operation, has been on crutches since December and then the other week slipped on some ice and nearly broke her ankle. She had to go and stay with her parents for two weeks because she literally couldn't move at all!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It could be worse! A friend of mine has a bad hip and is waiting an operation, has been on crutches since December and then the other week slipped on some ice and nearly broke her ankle. She had to go and stay with her parents for two weeks because she literally couldn't move at all!
Heartbreaking! I feel like I should send a get well card! :(

M

mediocrefunkybeat

It's all good. We baked her cakes instead.

I wish I got injured more!