index and middle finger or just index?

palo

I dont mean to start a pinky- or -not -pinky like discussion but,with traditional grip,do you use both index and middle on top of the stick or just the index.I hear contradictory information

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Depends what I'm doing.

Tight, precise and articulate, I'm more prone to having both fingers over the stick. But then again, there are times when I get the control I require from just the forefinger over alone.

Loose, solid and driving, I'm far more prone to just letting my thumb take control. The fingers may be used to control the stick......or they may just get the hell out of the way altogether and let the thing pivot through a full range of motion from the fulcrum point.

This isn't a case of "or"......in fact, in most musical endeavors, it seldom is. It's far more often a case of being prepared to use "either"......depending on what's required.

palo

when using traditional grip my left hand feels extremely weak. I Was told that using those 2 fingers on top of the stick plus the thumb,by sheer weight,would amount to the power of matched grip.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
when using traditional grip my left hand feels extremely weak. I Was told that using those 2 fingers on top of the stick plus the thumb,by sheer weight,would amount to the power of matched grip.
Do whatever works for you.

There are many times when I need more leverage and the fingers over the stick are a limitation. My wrist will only turn so far so in order to get the leverage, the fingers come off and the control comes from the thumb only.

Do whatever works for you.

There are many times when I need more leverage and the fingers over the stick are a limitation. My wrist will only turn so far so in order to get the leverage, the fingers come off and the control comes from the thumb only.
Do you just use your thumb when doing moeller, or do the fingers come into play? TIA

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Heavy back beat rimshots - thumb.

Cymbals - index

Fast singles on snare - I used to use just the index, but since tilting the snare a bit more using both work pretty well, too.

When tilting stick on jazzy stuff - both index and middle, for sure.