In ear monitor limiters?

peety777

Hi all,

So I've planned to go the in ears way:D
What I plan to do is have a mini mixer (mackie/ beyringer) then use my ipad to put a click in one channel and then the monitor mix from the FOH desk to the other channel. I then plug my in ear headphones into the output or headphone jack? and am ready to go.
I just need a headphone limiter to stop any crazy loud noises. Any you would recommend and i'm on a real tight budget so ideally under £20 if poss. Many thanks

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Something like a Shure P4HW isn't going to be that much more than a small mixer and some sort of limiter. But much more convenient, professional grade, and made for the purpose you're asking about.

tard

Gold Member
Something like a Shure P4HW isn't going to be that much more than a small mixer and some sort of limiter. But much more convenient, professional grade, and made for the purpose you're asking about.
I agree 100%, been using one for over 10 years now, one of the best pieces of gear I have purchased. If anything happened to this one I would buy another in a heartbeat. Having the ability to adjust everything right on your side, mid song if necessary is indispensable.

Florian

Gold Member
The P4HW has been in my tour kit for nearly 10 years now. It has everything you need for monitoring in one handy package.

F

peety777

I'm afraid the whole P4HW system is too expensive. A small mixer will cost me £75 ish then plus the limiter. Thanks anyway though.

peety777

RE the fishcer amps. I have seen them and they seem fairly good value. Do they have a built in limiter? Thanks

Toolate

Platinum Member
Do you need the limiter? The small mixer has a headphone volume out that will control what goes to your ears, right?

I have been thinking the smame set up for jams etc. since my hearing is so bad (was going to mic my kick and use 2 overheads to hear everyone else) and I practice with kick, snare and 2 overheads through a small board plus click from iDevice plugged into "effects return" on board so I can control its volume there or the iPhone.

Any really loud signal from foh mix would be limited like any other input by the board no?

A

audiotech

Do you need the limiter? The small mixer has a headphone volume out that will control what goes to your ears, right?

Any really loud signal from foh mix would be limited like any other input by the board no?
I would recommend a limiter, either in line or transmitter/receiver equipped. Sure the mixer has an headphone volume control but that would not eradicate any transients or high level feedback that may occur on any of the mixer's inputs.

Unless there is some kind of limiter or controlled compression between the FOH mixer, the really loud signals will go straight to the power amps and through the speaker system. This is bad enough, but when those speakers are in the form of ear buds and are millimeters away from your ear drums, that a completely different and devastating difference.

I don't know anyone that has the ability to know exactly when these problems will occur to be able to nip them in the bud before they can get to the listener's ears. The electronics in limiters and compressors can by being able to sample the input signal and then make corrects before being fed down the line.

Dennis

bigiainw

Gold Member
I agree 100%, been using one for over 10 years now, one of the best pieces of gear I have purchased. If anything happened to this one I would buy another in a heartbeat. Having the ability to adjust everything right on your side, mid song if necessary is indispensable.
I have it's brother, the P6HW and I could not now gig without it. I have 2 in fact, both bought for a bargain price on fleabay from guys who thought they were buying a wireless solution. I don't know if the P4HW is the same, but the P6HW has a built in limiter which has saved me from deafness by feedback a number of times. It's definately the way to go.

peety777

The mini desk has a volume control but this wouldn't stop feedback coming through. The ideal would be to have a cable from the output of the desk to the limiter and then plug my earphones into the limiter. Thanks

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Not really. That's a guitar compressor. It will just compress the attack of everything. A true limiter like what is in the belt packs won't do anything to the sound before the limit is reached. Then it will clamp it down to the same maximum level. It is basically a fast attack compressor with the compresson ratio set at infinity and the threshold at some reasonable level that won't blow your ears.

The reason I and others are suggesting the belt packs is that hooking up a limiter to a small mixer is a bit fiddly. You need a insert, not an effects loop because you need the entire signal to go though the compressor and back into the mixer's output stage or headphone amp section. I don't think many of the mini/tabletop cheap mixers have this feature. You need to hook it up correctly at every gig and make sure everything is adjusted correctly on the various levels and compressor settings. Which takes time for someone who usually has the most time consuming setup at the gig, the drummer.

You may be able to find some Rane (okay) Alesis (ick) or Behringer (double ugg) limiter thing on ebay that you hook to some cheap unreliable mixer and save a few bucks.

How about running some useful sound like handclaps or tambourine from a drum machine though your wedge if you want something to follow for an even tempo. What does get out to the audience won't clash with the music and may even help a bit. That should get you through until you can save up for a proper belt pack. The other thing with doing IEMs from the drum chair is that the consumer ear pieces have a habit of falling out. And with both your hands occupied, it difficult to put them back in. Even if they come loose a little bit, the bass goes away. So if you're relying on them instead of a monitor or bass amp nearby, you're SOL in following the bass player until you can manage to jam the earpiece back in. I wouldn't do it until I had fitted earpieces (which I do have and have performed with although I prefer not to for reasons of directionally listening to different band members) that stay in place and maintain a consistent seal and sound. Both things will add up to some money, but any half fast cobble is only going to be a distraction to your playing. Been there, got the t-shirt.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
IF your soundguy provides a limiter to your line signal every time, and you're sure you can rely
on that, you're going to be fine with a small mixer until you can save up enough money, too.

peety777

Looks like i'm going to have to get a belt pack then. Any ones that are cheap that you would recommend? Thanks for all the input, Made me think about things differently. Especially the thing with the percussion click through the wedge! A great idea although not as much ear protection and clarity. Would work for smaller gigs:)