In Christ Alone....HELP!!!

n2xlr8n

For the life of me, I can't feel where the downbeat is supposed to be in the verse..if 3/4, it's sometimes on three, sometimes on two...depending on how you count it.

The chorus is 6/8, I think. I don't have a problem w that.

Can one of my praise brothers / sisters help me? I'm playing this song Sunday, lol.

Thanks in advance!

S.

BillBachman

Gold Member
I think it lines up in 3/4, but the chord changes suggest otherwise. I always just follow the chord changes and odd/even time it so that it makes sense. I love that song, it tells you everything you need to know. ;)

rstange1

It's in 3/4. Here's how I thing of time in this tune and where the lyrics line up with the down beats (1s are down beats, I'm playing the bass drum on 1s):

In Christ alone(1) - 2 - 3 - found(1) - 2 - 3 - light(1) - strength(1 (really 2)) - 3 - song(1)...

The third bar above messes you up because it has two strong (down?) beats (1 & 2)

So I play bass - 2 - 3 - bass - 2 - 3 - bass - bass - 3 - bass - 2 - 3...

Don't know how else to express it without writing out the music -- hope that helps!

kuren84

It is a tricky one and really hard to explain. But what i play for the main beat starts on Alone.-
-X---X---X----X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X----X--- Hihat
-----------X-------------X-------------X------------X--------X-------------X------------- Snare
-X-------------X---X---------X-----------------X--------X--------X------------X----X--- Bass

Hope this helps it works for me.

Kevin

n2xlr8n

I think it lines up in 3/4, but the chord changes suggest otherwise. I always just follow the chord changes and odd/even time it so that it makes sense. I love that song, it tells you everything you need to know. ;)

You got that right, Bill. I love the dynamic of the song.

Thanks, everyone; I appreciate it!

S.

brady

Platinum Member
We play this one every so often at my church.

I pretty much play it with the snare on 3 and kick on 1 and the & of 2. Sometimes on the & of 3 also. When I switch to the ride, I'll add the hat on 2, or on 2 and 3.

Hope this helps.

yesdog

Silver Member
Here is a lead sheet for the song. Which version are you doing? The Newsboys version has a 6/8 feel. I hope this chart will help. These are the charts we use, the format is great for a good solid road map.

Attachments

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I've listened to 3 different versions and it sounds like 6/8 to me.

I mean no disrespect, this beat is very simple to me. It is amazing to me how much work some people have to put in to learning songs. It doesn't come so easy for everyone.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
When I'm in christ, I usually like it to be a group setting. Being in christ alone gets awkward.

B

Balto

That's some good drumming there, Sticks. I liked your intro on the snare and the hi-hat playing. Still sounds 6/8 to me.
I am pretty sure it was 6/8. Where the trouble comes in, if you listen to the song, is that it has a 3/4 feel at first, but then changes to 6/8 at the end of each verse, which is what threw me off at first with this song. Give it a try on your kit Midnite and see what I mean. :) Oh and thanks for the kind words. When I listen to the sound of the old Rolands now, I wince a little.

yesdog

Silver Member
When I'm in christ, I usually like it to be a group setting. Being in christ alone gets awkward.
Thats pretty disrespectful, someone is looking for help not someone trying to rock the boat or turn this thread into something stupid. I pray that no one takes the bait and stays on the topic of helping a brother out. With that being said I need to go on with life and quit wasting time with this.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Thats pretty disrespectful, someone is looking for help not someone trying to rock the boat or turn this thread into something stupid. I pray that no one takes the bait and stays on the topic of helping a brother out. With that being said I need to go on with life and quit wasting time with this.
Take a chill pill. It's just a joke. Unless he named the song personally, I don't think there's any disrespect here. Certainly none intended.