Importance of a good drum throne?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I've never owned a Roc-n-Soc, but as far as thrones go, I've never owned a better, more comfy one than my Tama First Chair drum throne.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
I think the biggest factor in back pain is posture, more than the throne. Unless of course a bad (wobbling?) throne causes bad posture and strained muscles.
Experiment with raising or lowering the throne, as well as the other elements of your kit. Shoot a video of yourself playing and see if you can spot a bad posture or source of pain. Or show it to your doctor if the pain continues. My 2 cents :)
Thanks! Il actually try that at my next gig :) Or ask friendly forum members at the london drum show. And yay 500 posts :) took me long enough

Stefan Brodsky

I've got a Roc'n'Soc with a backrest and to me it's the backrest that makes the difference as to whether my back hurts at the end of the night or not.

No backrest on the stool (if I forget to take it or don't have the space) = nagging back pain

Backrest on stool = no back pain.
The above was the best investment I made, since I resumed playing nearly 15 years ago. No brainer. Buy one.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
If you are willing to make an investment, the Ford Drum Company has drum throne which are made using Swedish memory foam:

http://www.forddrums.com/

and the tripod base is supplied as the spiral height adjustment. Carl Palmer (ELP) uses these and helps with a bad back. Obviously, they are not for everyone or necessary.

Mike
+1. I got a Ford Smart Ass following a back injury and it is worth every penny. After lifting and packing all sorts of gear, riding a hardtail Harley for years the wear and tear finally caught up with me. This back injury is the first and only injury I've sustained in my life.

My two cents for everyone who wants to play drums into their 50's, 60's and 70's, then start thinking long range "preventative" and invest in a quality drum stool now while you're young. The Ford Smart Ass with the Swedish Memory Foam is one of the single best pieces of gear I own. Wish I could have owned one 40 years ago (had they been available).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My two cents for everyone who wants to play drums into their 50's, 60's and 70's, then start thinking long range "preventative" and invest in a quality drum stool now while you're young. The Ford Smart Ass with the Swedish Memory Foam is one of the single best pieces of gear I own. Wish I could have owned one 40 years ago (had they been available).
Also, it's important to begin playing with good posture as well. This is where having a good teacher in the beginning is worth every penny too. I had a teacher like this, and when I started marching around with a drum on, it all helped. Ergonomics is the name of the long-term game!

Because of this I always questioned the validity of playing actual double bass drums with a separate hi-hat stand (as Neil Peart once did back in the day). I certainly don't think I could handle stretching myself out to reach the hi-hat pedal on a separate stand!

NOTE: This is what I thought I saw on the "Fly by Night" video - did Neil keep his hi-hat pedal right next to his bass drum pedal in real life when playing two bass drums?

SEA

I agree, too. When I first started playing, I was using some cheap throne that came along with my first drum set. I figured "ahhh, what's the difference? It's just a stool." Whenever I would practice, after about a 1/2 hour, my back would be all kinds of sore.

A few weeks later, I plunked down the cash for a Rock N Sock, and I swear, it's night and day. I can literally play for hours with no pain whatsoever. I still cheap-out on some equipment, but the throne is something that's worth the investment.

GeoB

Gold Member
Honey Bunny got me a great throne about 8 or 9 years ago. How good? It is still holding up just fine. Well worth the money.

I picked up a cheapo at a pawn shop a couple of years ago ($10) for an extra seat... It was from an "intermediate" name brand kit and it looks like a throne and acts like a throne, but I would absolutely hate sitting on that thing any longer than 15 minutes.

Hewitt2

hmm. To play's devil advocate, in my experience, having a cheap, no-frills throne actually forces you to play with good balance and posture. Plush seats with ergodynamic countours are much more forgiving.

I recognize that those with pre-existing health issues would be silly to do anything other than what the many posters of this thread suggest.

But in my mind, having a cheap throne really reiterated to me the importance of sitting straight at all times and keeping myself in balance. Being able to do that makes me less reliant on what features a drum throne may or may not have.

wombat

Of course posture is important, sitting anywhere its something to be mindful of.

However having the correct ergonomics is important as well...not just the throne but its placement as well ( and / or the kit components in relation to you)

I cant imagine one throne does it for everyone....... cushioning, back support, stability, height adjustment, 4 legs vs 3, adjustment locks etc.

I am not a tall bloke, but i found it hard to "reach" both toms / cymbals AND the kick pedal.....when I adjusted the height of the throne it became unstable (cheapy memory lock and 3 legs) meaning my posture was forced to adopt positions that were unhealthy.

A good quality 4 legged throne with "screw" height adjustment, back rest (which I rarely use unless I need a bit of purchase for foot work) and decent cushioning ( meaning I dont get pins and needles or "dead leg" from my blood supply being "pinched" by the stool edge) made a massive change in how I play, and how much I enjoy playing.....

I am not sure the back rest really matters, but the extra height, and nice solid stability make the extra dosh well worth it.

Do what works for you, but ergonomics assist good posture, but dont reduce the need. !!

petey

What everyone said here times 100

You have no idea how important the throne is. Invest in a good one

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's the most important piece of gear and apart from those bum shakers, they're all pretty reasonable priced.

I just use a roc'n'soc on a Gibraltar base. Nothing extra. It's just a solid a comfortable throne. I guess I agree a bit about excess with thrones, but if my ass hurts after 5 mins it won't work. This is my work chair for many hours every day.

As a type this I'm actually sitting on a round and not too well cushioned throne at work. I would quit drumming if I had to use something like this myself.