I'm giving away a black beauty snare drum, here.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
You know what they say, once you go Black (Beauty), you never go back.o

Seriously though, I'm much too shy and self-conscious to ever ask for a gift like that.

M

Matt Bo Eder

On an a stainless steel or silver sparkle maple?
It's all studio trickery. He used his Sonor 5-piece with the 18" bass drum that was on so many of Aretha Franklins hits back in the day. The Bonham huge sound is really Bernard recording in a concrete loading dock.

True story.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Two options for you Larry.

The simple option is just send it to me. As I spread sunshine and cheer wherever I go, mostly, a BB would make more cheerful, sunnier of disposition and downright bonhomous.

Or, there's the more complicated approach. Wait for a truly talented, penniless person who shows up needing a new snare and asking for suggestions and give it to that person. It may be tomorrow , next week or a year or two down the track, but you'll know them when you see them.

Bull

Gold Member
My roommate's 16 year old son is a drummer. Whenever he is in town visiting,I try to hook him up with something he might need. Sometimes heads or a half brick of sticks. If you choose me, I will give him my 7x14 Tama Nickel over Brass Starclassic. I'm a tone chaser but a Ludwig guy at heart. I will appreciate the Ludwig and he will get his first pro snare. :)

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I have given a PDP Ace snare drum, a Les Paul Epi and a small Marshall amp to my nephew because he said he wanted to learn. But he lost interest and his mom sold the stuff to put some money in her pocket. That's my paying it forward story.

RaxCity

Hey Larry, this is an incredible gesture, and, whether I win or not, I know whoever receives it will be well deserving and extremely gracious. Now I know I'm a kid (15) but midnight zephyr, I PROMISE I won't sell it for alcohol money!

Seriously though, I've been drumming for around eight years now, and recently I have become very passionate about the instrument, however apart from good heads, a couple of good cymbals and a brand new drum throne and pedal that I have been saving up for a while to get, my gear is pretty low quality, but it would be a dream come true to own a BB or supra, or any good snare, to be honest, and I would treasure it. I would definitely take good care of it, and take it to church and gigs whenever I get the opportunity. Sadly, my family isn't the richest and I'm still looking for a job to fund this hobby, which I am working to turn into a career, or at least a somewhat successful hobby, so anything would be amazing. Even the knowledge and advice I have received on this forum has been incredible, and I want to thank everyone on drummerworld for sharing their knowledge and giving up their time to help others.

Now, I'm not sure how easy it would be to send it to me since I live in New Zealand, but I'm sure we could work something out if I do win. But, even if the lucky winner is someone else, I still will have nothing but respect for everyone on this forum, especially experienced members like you, larry, and many others. Thanks for your consideration, and I wish everyone all the best! :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Larry ..... good for you, man. There seem to be a few, for you to choose between. Generous move, dude ..... generous move.​

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Larry, you always make the most interesting threads.

Very generous of you.

I've always wanted one, but I admit it wouldn't get much use from me.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I want to convert it to electronic.

Do I win :)

Seriously though, I've never owned a snare that I really loved....or even liked so......

If that doesn't sway you, I'm the only other person here that knows what THHN is and when/why it changed to THWN

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yeah yeah real nice yadda yadda. You are just trying to emulate me when I gave away two kits, and reduced myself to one lil ole kit. So here's the deal you can give me the snare (because it really is a cold day in hell for starters) and because I'm just pissed I as yet have a Guru snare or drum kit, so this seems like a nice consolation prize. Even worms gotta eat man-and big fat maggots too. Gosh this story is making me tear up-I'm so moved if I had the snare I'd give it to me and start up a Go fund me to help out this poor sad sack fool. Sniff, sniff, sniff.

lsits

Gold Member
No sob story here, unfortunately. I currently have four snare drums. I play them all regularly: A Rogers Holiday model: A Stage Custom Birch snare: A Pearl Chad Smith signature snare; A Pork Pie Cherry Pie snare. I ordered a DW Design series BNOB 6.5 x 14 snare from Banjo Center back in August but its been over two months and they keep pushing back the delivery date.

If I was fortunate enough to receive a Black Beauty as a gift, I could cancel the order for the DW. I guarantee that the Black Beauty would be regularly played and not put on a shelf or in a display case.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Wow Larry! That's a great gesture. Some deserving person on this forum or otherwise is going to have a great day. Cant wait to hear about the recipient.

I've never heard of such things on any other forum. This place rocks!

Frank

Gold Member
Rather than give it to an individual, how about donating it to a school?

Schools can really use the help, and then tons of people benefit.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Did I mention I'm old and may die any day now-without having played a Black Beauty snare or Guru snare (hey you've got more than one Guru-give me one of them as a consolation prize and forget the beauty). Course that could argue against me-cause gee I'm going to die any day now and why give a great snare to a dead man walking. Crap never mind. How bout I'll play it for one year and then get on here and give it away again. Pass it forward scenario. We can both autograph it so others can regale the tale. I should get it for such a great idea ;) Like the traveling pants move-the traveling snare.

Last edited:
M

Matt Bo Eder

Rather than give it to an individual, how about donating it to a school?

Schools can really use the help, and then tons of people benefit.
I dunno about that. Schools don't appreciate what they get either and the students even less.

Dutch

Have you ever felt the excitement of posting something to Australia? Well go on then! I'll reimburse you for the $100 it'll likely cost you...

Dutch