If you could Have Lessons Fron Any Professional Drummer Who Would It Be?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I think the story is buried in some old DW threads. The gist was an afternoon spent at his home with him and another drummer Willie Jones. It was an insight into a great musical mind through a free-wheeling conversation about everything under the sun, which ended with an invitation to his humongous basement which housed,other 8 fully set up Ludwig kits, every imaginable percussion instruments ever invented. He talked a lot about his favoritew music and explained what he liked about it. That in itself was like going to music school...
Ah, now we're getting warm, Abe. What did Max say he liked about the music he spoke of? Yes, I'm trying to pick your brains - and Max's by proxy :)

Do you see where I'm coming from? It's like someone saying, "Wow, I spoke with a guru on a mountaintop and he told me the meaning of life!".

At that point there's only one possible response ...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Let's see Wy Yung. Anyone who can practice 10 hours a day, do surgery on himself with a razor blade before a show...

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I don't want to pick up his chops or tricks or grooves, I want to get inside his dynamic & expression skillset. .
This is what I would have to consider.

The last time I took a lesson from a pro, I went over to Glen Sobel's house. He has recently won a WFD contest at the time, and I wanted to get some insight on what technique he used. Well, it turned out, he and I use the same exact technique, he's just much, much, much better at executing it than I am.

And looking at the variety of lessons on DVD, yeah, it's not that *insert well known drummer* has some secret, or has some special technique that I don't know, it's just they're 1000x better at executing the technique than I'll ever be. So I don't think I'd sign up for a lesson on how to play a beat, or a roll or how to hold sticks, or do a fancy lick.

But getting inside a drummers head and finding out why they do what they do, and the creative process of how they come up with the amazing parts they do, and how they get their feel, now that would be worth something.

Mark Zonder comes to mind. He's an amazing technician, and I can never figure out how he comes up with the some of the wild drummer acrobatic parts he comes up with.

On the opposite side, maybe spending an afternoon with Stan Lynch would be pretty cool, on just how to come up with those simple, but killer parts that just feel amazing. And as a producer, how he works with other drummers to get parts that are just right.

Last edited:

groovemaster_flex

Silver Member
emmanuelle caplette cause she's boss. haha. she's got crazy good feel, plays a variety of styles, and it'd be nice to get a female perspective as i've only had male teachers. i just wonder if they approach playing a little differently than guys do, y'know?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Can I pick three?

Bill Bruford
Danny Carey
Gavin Harrison
I love Bill's playing more than anyone's but I would never want lessons with him.

He's such a hard head he'd scare me to death. I'd estimate that after 30 seconds he'd be pointing to the door, saying "Never darken this doorstep again!" :)

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Jojo Mayer for technique, Gavin Harrison for groove, George Kollias for speed, Virgil Donati to destroy my mind.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Dave DiCenso or Mike Mangini.
Most definitely. Apart from being obviously amazing drummers, I'd love to be able to pick their brains a little. Dave's groove and Mike's amazing approach to practice and drumming are both truly inspiring. They're also both known as great teachers, which isn't something that automatically happens even if someone is an amazing drummer.

Dom Famularo, i love the way he goes about his drumming, such a happy drummer when he plays
I'd definitely love to meet him and talk drums and drumming with him. I had the good fortune to catch him at a clinic/drum performance and the man was so genuinely enthusiastic about drums and life in general that you just couldn't help but be inspired. Such a cool guy.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
I love Bill's playing more than anyone's but I would never want lessons with him.

He's such a hard head he'd scare me to death. I'd estimate that after 30 seconds he'd be pointing to the door, saying "Never darken this doorstep again!" :)
Have you ever met Bill? He's actually one of the nicest, most unassuming of gentleman. He has that avant-garde attitude. Maybe it's for show . .lol

I don't know that he'd be a good teacher because I really don't think academics are a part of his prowess. But if I were to want feedback on my latest album or some drumming ideas, he'd be the guy I'd like to go to.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Definitely Ed Shaugnessy. Last of the great Big-Band drummers I can think of off the top of my head. That style and experience will not last forever.

Pkaneps

Tony Williams, John Bonham, Elvin Jones, Dave Grohl.

Really, I'd just like to play with them. I'm sure I'd learn a lot.

Derek

Silver Member
I'm figuring I don't get a magic wand or time machine, so I need to pick a drummer who is still walking the earth. With so many drummers to choose this is tough. If I have to pick just one that would be Jack DeJohnette. Although I'm not a jazz drummer (I wish), there's a hugh amount I could learn frim him that would transend any musical genre and make me a better musician.

C

Crazy8s

Roy Haynes. I could learn how to be a playa, a snappy dresser, to live forever, and also play more soul-felt improv.

I don't want lessons from anyone else that I can't learn from just listening to their music. Roy is the exception because he is the coolest, most smoothly interpretive player who has ever lived. IMO, but I know others share this opinon.

Migaluch

I think a lesson with Keith Moon would be fun, but only because we would waste time blowing up hotel room toilets...

Hercules

Pierre Moerlen, Buddy Rich and Jim Chapin (if they were still with us)

Would love to get some lessons from Cameron Clayton