If practice noise was never an issue....

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
To guys who would still play pads ... pads have been around and people have incorporated it into their modus operandi.

I'm guessing that if they didn't exist chances are that you wouldn't feel compelled to invent them and you would happily do what you do in the drums.

Just tossing the thought out there.
If they didn't exist, they would exist by now.

Over the years I've seen 1001 different pads be invented, come and go, as well as numerous attempts to make a myriad of other practice devices so that drummers can practice drums without an actual drum. Including people who thought they had invented some new revolutionary pad/practice concept only to find out 3 other companies already made the same thing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
How about a 2 headed practice pad...a small drum really, filled with water. (no vent hole). No one has done that. That might be interesting.

Too Many Songs

The noise of practising is not an issue for me. I never use a practice pad - only unmuted drums. I have unused practice pads sitting around the house but tend just to go into the music room if I want to work on something.

drumer12b

...I wanted to chime in on this as well, even though I think I'm a little late! I find a happy medium with using the pads AND the kit. Like some of you, I have neighbors that would more likely appreciate me NOT playing, then to be playing. However, I play during reasonable times and not really any longer than 2 hours at a pop anyway. Besides, it's also my legal right (and human right) to play my instrument if I choose. That being said, I've concluded this over my years of playing: Practicing on whatever it may be, pillow, pads, sound silencers, thrones, whatever- I feel that you're hands (and feet if using silencers on your kit) will get "used to" that feel and may hinder your playing at first when you go back to the real thing, if you use them frequently. I find that I tend to drop sticks when I play my kit, right after practicing on a pad or something else other than a real drum. However, I recently got rid of my Remo practice pad kit and went to the sound silencers that fit onto my drums. I really like using them now, because I'm getting more of the overall "real feel" of using my kit as opposed to using the pad kit which is small. Although, the response with the silencers is still not the same, so I limit my time on them. But at my stage in life, I try to take advantage of any time to play. I'd obviously prefer to use the kit, but if I need to use my silencers, then I will. "Any practicing is better then no practicing"....famous quote by probably EVERY person that has ever played the skins, starting with cavemen....

Drummertist

Silver Member
I'd use the drumset most of the time if that were the case.

BTW, I thought I was alone on this, but I use my knee to drive and play on my steering wheel too! I've become quite adept at using my knee to drive including doing three point turns and going around 90 degree turns. Of course I live in a very rural area and only do this when there's no traffic around.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
newb content:

i'm thinking of getting a practice pad for the very reason that the rebound is different than my set. when i play on other's kits or in stores it takes a while to adjust as each and every drumset is tuned differently. even moving to a different drum on my own kit requires a moment (or two) of adjustment.

with a pad (or two) i think i could work on my diddles and thangs while i'm watching tv.

thus killing two birds (or three) with one stone.

A

Anthony Amodeo

newb content:

i'm thinking of getting a practice pad for the very reason that the rebound is different than my set. when i play on other's kits or in stores it takes a while to adjust as each and every drumset is tuned differently. even moving to a different drum on my own kit requires a moment (or two) of adjustment.

with a pad (or two) i think i could work on my diddles and thangs while i'm watching tv.

thus killing two birds (or three) with one stone.
highly recommend owning multiple pads of many surfaces and working on your hands as often as humanly possible

you will never regret keeping your hands sharp

I have a pad in every room of my house and get inspired to work on different things in different rooms on different pad surfaces