IEM For Drummers Comparison/Guide

veecharlie

I thought it could be useful to know the pro&cons of IEM when you are looking for a new pair or to get started with them. I have seen it far too many times drummers using wathever kind of headphones/earphones, and while they could sound great to you, if they don't isolate enough you could get serious hearing issues after some time. Again I'm an ambassador for a good solution that works good both as a drummer and for your ears, so I hope this guide can be as honest as possible and hopefully helpful.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The first time I’ve seen anyone have the same issues with the Vic Firth’s as I did. By bass drum would literally make my brain rattle. Something definitely strange would happen there and agree the new ones are even worse. For me, the in ears and cans didn’t work. They would either dig in, or fall out. Had to spend the $$ to get the GK Ultraphones. If I were playing live more than I am, then a pair of custom IEMs all the way, but even for the worship band I played in, the stage was big enough, the standard IEMs with isolation tips worked fine. Great post and video.

veecharlie

The first time I’ve seen anyone have the same issues with the Vic Firth’s as I did. By bass drum would literally make my brain rattle. Something definitely strange would happen there and agree the new ones are even worse. For me, the in ears and cans didn’t work. They would either dig in, or fall out. Had to spend the $$ to get the GK Ultraphones. If I were playing live more than I am, then a pair of custom IEMs all the way, but even for the worship band I played in, the stage was big enough, the standard IEMs with isolation tips worked fine. Great post and video.
I never had anyone encounter the issue of the vic firth, but yes about the bass trap. Indeed it makes you feel like your brain is rattling! lol