Identify this Pearl snare please...

T

trkdrmr

I traded an older Zildjian splash and a wuhan china for this.

It is a 10 lug, steel snare with clamshell throw. I have no idea but I am guessing mid 80's to early 90's. It is not likely a student snare due to the number of lugs and throw.

Attached are (kind of poor) pics. The shell and some hardware needs work.

Attachments

EAMES DRUMS

It looks like a late 70;s you can use a cleaner called NEVER DUL that works great on chrome, you can get it at any auto store

T

trkdrmr

It looks like a late 70;s you can use a cleaner called NEVER DUL that works great on chrome, you can get it at any auto store
Yep, it will resemble the can sitting on a table just out of the picture frame.. :)

I wasn't sure that Pearl had made a throw that "beefy" in the 70's.

I am stripping the drum down and getting a snare side head today.

makinao

Silver Member
It looks like a #4214 snare from the 1975 Japanese catalog. It was a top line professional model, and second only to the #4814. I'm just not that sure about the throw though.

Last edited:
T

trkdrmr

I have one just like that, I always wondered what it was. Do they have any value?
Hmm.. well, I'd say I "paid" maybe $50 for it. That's about the value of a used wuhan china and an old "A" splash. I would be curious if it had any value restored.

When I got it it had a pinstripe on the batter, the snare side was trashed, the snare wires was a plastic-caged rhythm tech model that looks like some kind of offshoot of a dynasonic throw.

It sounded about as bad as was possible to make a snare sound.

I am going to clean it up, I might sell it down the road. I am going to see if GC has some replacement lugs that fit.

Some of the old ones are corroded.

makinao

Silver Member
I doubt if it has that much market "value". Pearl was just entering the USA market at the time, and their drums didn't have any folklore surrounding them.

I have the mid-level model #4514, which I bought brand new in 1975. I would describe the sound as "wild and crazy". I still use it in my live gigs, and its loads of fun to play. If your 4214 is anything like my 4514, then I suggest you put coated Ambassadors, 42-strand snare wires, and enjoy .....

T

trkdrmr

I doubt if it has that much market "value". Pearl was just entering the USA market at the time, and their drums didn't have any folklore surrounding them.

I have the mid-level model #4514, which I bought brand new in 1975. I would describe the sound as "wild and crazy". I still use it in my live gigs, and its loads of fun to play. If your 4214 is anything like my 4514, then I suggest you put coated Ambassadors, 42-strand snare wires, and enjoy .....
Yep, I have the aquarian version of a coated amb on top. I need a hazy snare side. I will see if GC has any 42 strand while I am down there. Right now, I replaced the awful RT wire setup with some stock 16-strand pearl wires.

The folklore thing: It's one of those "X" factors that can shoot an ordinary product up to legend status. Sometimes I think the lore goes way overboard on some snares and leaves some equally good snares in the shadows.

T

trkdrmr

I have never-dulled the shell. I removed the majority of the nasty looking stuff, but there is some pitting corrosion that I can't fix. It ate through the chrome coating.

Pulling off the snare side head was a joke. It looked like someone played on it. It was pitted like the surface of an asteroid.

A new snare side head and studio ring and we have a usable drum...

T

trkdrmr

I cleaned the shell, and re-assembled it with a new hazy 300 snare head. Cranked it up and used a studio ring. This snare sounds very good!

Attached are photos of the mercilessly ruined snare side that came on it. The photo does not show how badly deformed it is over every square inch. Also the shell looks 80% better.

Attachments

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I plan on cleaning mine up and selling it on ebay. Unfortunately with this economy I am sure I will get bottom dollar for it.

T

trkdrmr

I plan on cleaning mine up and selling it on ebay. Unfortunately with this economy I am sure I will get bottom dollar for it.
With this one, in order to make it perfect, I'd have to replace all the tension rods, and there would still be a few rust spots. I have minimized the ugliness.

The good part is that its a terrific sounding snare. It's crisp, bright and loud.

makinao

Silver Member
My snare looks probably looks worse than yours, even though I just replaced the lugs and tension rods. I live in the South East Asia where humidity is a year-long problem, and rust is inevitable unless it never leaves an air-conditioned studio. I stopped worrying about how it looks years ago, opting to maintain the sound over cosmetics.

But from your description, my snare probably sounds a lot like yours. It is by no means refined or robust like some more expensive snares, but what makes it endearing to me is its craziness. I was about to buy new die-cast hoops when a friend talked me out of it because he thought it would lose its character.

So enjoy it for what it is, and play it when the music calls for an unabashed sense of fun.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
there is also a chrome over brass version of this series. Stewart Copeland apparently used that version on all those Police records. Evidently, he just walked into a pawn shop one day and bought that snare for next to nothing, but it turned out to be a great sounding snare. That's the drum his signature snare is modeled after, so there is some history attached to the brass version at least. The ones with the vent hole on the bottom of the shell, as opposed to the middle, is the earlier version-probably mid to late 70's. These probably don't fetch as much money on ebay because of they look like any cheap steel snare that you can get today, even though they're much better in quality. In fact, that's really what prevented me from buying one for a good price on ebay. You'd be lucky to get 50- 70$ for the steel one on ebay, unless it has the super senstive Jupiter strainer, and I'm not sure if the steel ones ever had that strainer.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I got mine with a kit I sold long ago, I have nothing into it. I am going to clean it up, slap some heads on it see what happens.

Byzance

I have the #4214 model from mid 70s, with the built in dampener.
Got if from an old guy helping him clean out his house.

had been in store in his attic since he bought it, so its mint condition.
When i first got it it had as you said a absolutely horrible snare-side head.
but what does almost 30 years come to it would be strange if it wasn't dried up and all bad.

changed the batterhead from a remo ambassador to a Evans G2 Coated and the resonance to a Evans 300 Hazy put some Puresound supersensitive snarewires on it now i cant let it go. Now uses it as main dish along with a Yamaha Steve Jordan signature snare. and a custom built 12x6½ (I think) side dish.

Even tho my Steve jordan is out of this world, i ever so often switches during conserts/gigs for the Pearl Steel.

I'll See if i cant get some pic's up of my Pearl soon