Ideal conditions for drums

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Does anyone know if there are some "rules" about temperature and humidity
a room with drumset should have? Do you guys try to keep your room very
constant, or doesn't it matter too much?
I've never payed attention to that so far, but I'm wondering if I should...

Big Foot

Silver Member
A general rule for most musical instruments (and furniture) is; if it's comfortable for you it's probably okay for the instrument.
Indoor cold temperatures, what we can handle with a sweater on, doesn't have an effect on wood unless it has a high moisture content - instruments don't.
Humidity is different. Again if you can handle it with out sweating buckets, wood can handle it. High humidity, in summer weather, is not a good thing for the wood or metal parts of the instruments.

It might be a good idea to find out what the temperature and humidity levels are in those special rooms, at you local music store, where they store the acoustic string instruments. Anybody know?

ddrumman2004

Like Bigfoot said, if it's comfortable for you then they will be okay.

Having said that, my 12 year old Masters Custom Extra kit has been through all kinds of temp changes, different levels of humidity with no ill effects. They have spent several days in the back of my truck.....in cases of course and the truck has a bed cap....in real cold temps, days of rain......and they are just fine.

Unless you set them up in the yard and let it rain or snow on them, I wouldn't worry about it.

Garvin

Pioneer Member
I keep my drums (yamaha oaks) in my car or garage through the summer and winter in Northern Michigan. Cymbals too. They aren't violins. I figure as long as there is a reasonable amount of time for them to adjust to the room temp, they'll be okay.

I went from playing a show in a barn which was about 32 degrees, straight over to a gig at a steamy bar on halloween. The only thing I noticed (other than me being friggin cold in the barn) was that my hardware frosted a bit, then sweated when I got to the bar. I just ran a towel over it during set break.