I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

fac

I don't think I'll ever buy any high-end drums. I just don't hear the big difference against well-tuned low or mid-end stuff.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
A Custom Zildjians - sounds borderline ZBT bronze cymbals to me.
Haha, that's really not fair. A Customs aren't my favorite but I'm definitely not hearing anything ZBT in them. A Customs have a low fundamental but a very bright overtone makeup. ZBT's have a much higher fundamental and very "simple" overtones.

Zaxx

There's fun to be had here. I mean, who would ever want to own

- an instrument 'designed' for the convenience of theatre managers rather than for musicians;
- an instrument that fires most of its sound onto the floor or into your knees;
- an instrument full of different sized percussion components that you're supposed to play with one size of stick;
- an instrument that's based on stock sizes of lampshade;
- an instrument that requires you to cross one hand over the other in order to play it...

...in fact, who in their right mind would ever buy/own a drum kit?

Oh... er, hang on... : )

taiko

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz. Over the years, I've tried this kit three different times and been disappointed each time--which probably is a testament to my intelligence or lack thereof.

I love the look of these kits and the fact that they are great sizes for small combo jazz. I've always known that the snare drums on these kits absolutely stink, but I've kept thinking that with the right heads the rest of the kit should sound good.

As I said, I've been disappointed. The first one of these I got was in their copper sparkle. There were bubbles in the wrap. The second one I got was WMP. The kit looked great, but I couldn't get a head/tuning combination that I liked. It never sounded bad, but never sounded great. Bought another one when I saw a great deal in the gold foil wrap. There were issues with the bearing edges (a couple of gouges).

In each case there has been something about the kit that just didn't work out sound wise or in terms of quality. I saw a WMP kit for sale at a great price the other day and managed to pass on it. I'm glad I did.

Given some of the quality issues I've encountered with these and the poor snare drums, I really don't think these are a good deal, even at a low price. Sound is subjective, so I won't complain about that, but I couldn't get these right for me.

Bonzodownunder

Pearl drums (EXCEPT for FFS), fed up&have had enough of seeing them EVERYWHERE! :(, just about every drummer i know or have heard of when offered an endoresement straight away Pearl, DW, Zildjian uh!!!!!!,
Sonor-FAR&WAY too thick shells! (Signature series etc),
ANY thick ply shell! :(.

BenjaminCamelot

A Custom Zildjians - sounds borderline ZBT bronze cymbals to me. Horrible definition and clangy open hi hat sound. Gimme those K's though please
I almost bought a pair of A Customs for my birthday but my dad talked me out of getting them and instead getting regular A's because they sound too bright. I should add that they can be somewhat of a nightmare to clean because of the brilliant finish that's put on the cymbal and if you screw up on cleaning them, you could lose the logo by accident or who knows what else.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'm using a 16 inch and 18 inch A custom crash, and I'm not too fond of them. Not really. I like the 16 inch better than the 18 inch by far. The 18 inch just doesn't appeal to me at all.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I can't think of any drum thingy that I will "NEVER" buy/own but it's highly likely, due to circumstance, there is a whole bunch of drums, kits, thingy's I'll never buy or own. Hell of a note. I doubt I'll miss it though.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
a Throne thumper or whatever they are called....
What's wrong? Don't you appreciate a vibrating seat?

Honestly, the whole thing just seems a little dirty.

I will also never buy a kick port or any drum with a port already installed in the shell. There is a local builder that makes them and they sound like poop. Sad, dry poop.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
What's wrong? Don't you appreciate a vibrating seat?

Honestly, the whole thing just seems a little dirty.

I will also never buy a kick port or any drum with a port already installed in the shell. There is a local builder that makes them and they sound like poop. Sad, dry poop.
I'm a cheapskate. I just use the spin cycle on the washing machine for a little excitement in my life.

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
Boutique/custom/expensive drums. Whatever I play always ends up sounding like me so there's really no reason to buy expensive stuff.

Last edited:

goodcat1337

I posted here before that I would never own any DW drums. But man, I reeealy want one of those Frequent Flyer kits.

steadypocket

Gold Member
I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried tactile monitoring in a gig setting? If you have, & set it up correctly, + given yourself a while to acclimatise, then I can take the rejection of the concept. If not, I encourage you to think a little outside the box.

They don't provide astounding benefit in every situation, but on a loud stage, & especially where audible monitoring will interfere with the drum mic's, they have strong value. We drummers are used to not hearing our bass drums as clearly as we'd like. On a loud stage, that often robs us of the luxury of judging dynamics. Tactile monitoring brings that back to the party.

A misconception is that it's just a vibrating seat, but the brain soon completely ignores the vibrations, & instead "hears" the bass drum tone. Don't forget, a significant portion of our low frequency "hearing" is actually through the body & not just our ears directly. Ever wonder why your bass drum sounds different when captured with a room mic compared to you actually standing in the room?
There is a difference between the lower level seat shakers/butt thumpers and the more advanced tactile monitoring systems that I believe Andy is referring to. My Porter and Davies system has just made a world of difference in my playing and gigging experiences.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
This thread only serves to prove the shallowness of first world people.
I think it does more to show the variety of gear that is available. Most pianos are black. Some white, Some natural. Not a lot of choice. If one color was available, like old Ford Model A's or T's, all black, that's what we would be playing. The offerings are limitless which allows this thread to make sense. For me I would never buy anything I couldn't afford. I guess that's a no brainer, but i'm guessing a lot of credits cards were used on this site.

R2112

Silver Member
I've learned to never say never.

However, I probably won't ever buy myself a Hello Kitty drum set.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think it does more to show the variety of gear that is available. Most pianos are black. Some white, Some natural. Not a lot of choice. If one color was available, like old Ford Model A's or T's, all black, that's what we would be playing. The offerings are limitless which allows this thread to make sense. For me I would never buy anything I couldn't afford. I guess that's a no brainer, but i'm guessing a lot of credits cards were used on this site.
Yeah, I get your point. I'm just saying there is a pettiness to it too, of which I fall victim to also.

BenjaminCamelot

If I had to choose, probably I'd say any snare drum depth past 6.5. I find anything like 8x14 or 7x14 to be too deep of a snare depth for me and I always get the impression that it's a tom with snare wires most of the time.