I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Armor of Light

For me:

Red drums. Wraps, lacquer, fades, solids, stripes, sparkles...don't care. I just don't like red drums!

How 'bout you?

alparrott

Platinum Member
... hardware that can't stay set in the store with nothing on it. Why would I buy it? I would be adding weight and heavy, expensive things onto it, and if it can't keep in place without those things on it, I have little hope for it with them on it.

Hydraulic heads. Thudddddd.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I dunno. That's sounds too definitive. I used to say things like this, and then years later find out I actually like them. I used to say I would never play Pearl drums, and here I am, a happy owner of Pearl drums.

Maybe I could say Fiberskyn heads as batters. Not because I don't like them, but because they damage easier than regular coated emperors - so I would just be replacing them all the time, although I do like them, they have a nice sound, but the way I play I would go through them too quick!

Cheap hardware makes sense too - no point buying that stuff if it can't handle the task.

HenryColt

Anything cheap. And for cheap I mean bad quality. Like Headliner cymbals or Jimbao hardware....

Oh, and Vic Firth 7a or 5a american Classic Hickory. They break to easily and i'm not a heavy hitter.

MustangMick

Pearl drums (unless I swap out the tom holders for something less ugly)
Even though the Masters Mahogany and Wood/Fibreglass drums sound excellent....

Mick

Last edited:

WallyY

Platinum Member
For me:

Red drums. Wraps, lacquer, fades, solids, stripes, sparkles...don't care. I just don't like red drums!

How 'bout you?
I agree.

It's a throwaway-drum color.

Mistakes and lack of enthusiasm are to be expected on a wine-red set.

Might as well just play something soothing on it.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I agree.

It's a throwaway-drum color.

Mistakes and lack of enthusiasm are to be expected on a wine-red set.

Might as well just play something soothing on it.
How 'bout... nope.

My history with red. Love it!!

I'd never buy Pearl and Meinl (had a rack and those cymbals when I started)

Juniper

Gold Member
Way, way overpriced gear (not that my bank balance/other half would allow it!!)

An example is the Todd Sucherman backed Empyrean Snare, £3,345.00 ($4,975) for one drum. That’s crazy money for something I’d personally be scared to take out of the house, or even look at! I know it's Gold Plated in places and stuff but still.

The stuff I buy is bought to be used in/away from home and for purpose, not displayed and hardly used.

Not bothered to see stuff like this out on the market, each to their own, and I’m sure it sounds great to match it's looks but personally I simply couldn’t justify something that pricey.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
- Bad hardware has aleady been mentioned.

- A custom made drumset. Doesn't interest me at all. Spare parts are hard to get, almost no resale value.

- Steel and Acrylic drumsets. Ugly ugly ugly. And I don't like the sound.

- A 26" kickdrum. PITA for transporting and setting up drums.

- Sticks bigger than 5A size. Too heavy for me, being a groove-jazzer at heart.

- Brass-cymbals. They sound horrible.

And I like my red Starclassic...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I will never buy or own an electric drum kit, and the reason why is I like acoustic drums. Nothing really against the electric, I've only noodled on one a couple of times, but something primal about beating on an acoustic drum that I've always loved. It's like getting back to my archaic human roots. Much like I feel like a bear when I eat blueberries or salmon. And with acoustic no need for electricity and increasing our carbon footprint LOL.

GeoB

Gold Member
A boat... kayak maybe, canoe... (I have never been in a canoe that didn't flip). But a boat (and having many friends with boats, and having worked on many ships in many oceans), is, as they say... just a hole in the water you throw money into. Or as is also said... the 2 happiest days in a boaters life is the day it is purchased, and the day it is sold.

In my neighborhood there are quite a few expensive boats on trailers that are tarped etc... I would have to say, that my in my observation some of those boats get used once per year and the majority haven't been used in 5 or 10 years... that's a lot of money just sitting there. Rentals are far cheaper, or headboats even offer a bigger bang for the buck.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I have a policy on electronic drums. Annoy the neighbors, not yourself. Drums are to be fun and release stress not a reason to troubleshoot and cause stress.
I've played various brands and price points and always end up minimally dissatisfied, but mostly pissed!

Armor of Light

I just replaced my Mapex/Paiste setup with an e-kit. For me, the choice was admiring the beautiful Mapex kit as I walked by or actually sitting down to play!

The only time I ever got to play the acoustic kit was if all 3 conditions were met:
1) Nobody else was home
2) Winter time..i/e no open windows
3) I had the time

So, I'll get a real kit again someday, but in the meantime, I get to play more!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"A boat... kayak maybe, canoe... " If you use a boat then by all means buy one but if it is going to sit for prolonged periods-that's a death knell. My best friend and I bought a ski boat together in the 80's both our fathers warned against it because it could impact our friendship if things went sour. Well we proved them wrong and enjoyed the heck out of that boat for years-blew up one motor so we bought another (we were skiing maniacs). I later moved but we still shared it just for prolonged periods of exchange-eventually I just let him have it-I got more than my fair share of enjoyment out of it and we are still best friends.