I watched Rocketman...

Macarina

Silver Member
So I checked out Rocketman last night on DVD.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

Some spoilers... lots of opinions. I put the DVD in with zero knowledge of how it did in the theaters or review sites. My only recollection was a trailer and honestly don't remember much more than that on how it did.

WOW, Rocketman was nothing like I was expecting. I have followed Elton John since my teens with his career beginnings up through Blue Moves. I knew most of his musical career and some of his personal affairs. I guess I was expecting to see that evolution. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman was diametrically different in every way. So yes, I was highly disappointed throughout.

Rocketman is not a Biopic. It is a Musical. A VERY Stylish musical. Over the top. The sets were very colorful, very theater like. There were plenty of 'breaking out in song' moments.

The movie hits you over the head constantly about his Mother and especially his Father being absolute brutal on the emotionless raising of their son. Since very little of Rocketman seems anywhere near accurate, these monstrous parents may be a tad over the top like everything else appeared in the movie.

We are also deluged on Elton's sexual preferences. I get it... he's gay. I just wish they focused on Elton's talents and music.

Since the parents and gay life seem to be the main focus, let's address the secondary subject of Elton and his music.
Elton's voice is clearly iconic and unique. The movie seriously f******* with audiences by first using Taron Egerton's vocals in the songs. Again, not even close or good for that matter. The director also frustratingly deviated from the original music. Most of it, like I said was remade for a theatrical musical presentation. Not quite muzak, but altered so much, I would never have a reason to listen to these adaptations.
And this is my personal opinion, but I was taken out of the movie plenty because of Taron Egerton. He looked and acted like the Elton I grew up with, but since I love the Kingsmen, I just couldn't reconcile Eggsy vs. Elton. That's on me... I know.

Thankfully the movie did include Bernie Taupin (lyrics). Unfortunately it contains zero inclusion on his bandmates who were critical to his rise. Yes, I know Elton John was the core of the music, but like Bernie, his bandmates were critical cogs to his success. No Dee Murray, Nigel Olson, Davey Johnstone or Ray Cooper.

I'm not a fan of musical's and that made this movie seem twice as long and I couldn't wait for it to end.
So you can easily guess, not only was I disappointed, I really hated this movie. I guess it's because I was expecting something like a biopic.

It's getting like a 90% on Rottentomatoes, so I guess I'm the outlier.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's a shame they went to all that trouble, spent all that money, and did all that work. IMO the result was not worth the effort. I share your opinions.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I have to admit I was taken back by it-because it was a musical. I wasn't expecting that. Seemed over the top-which it was pure fantasy-people flying around and what not. But my Mom loved musicals-and yeah some of em I like too. Sadly this isn't one of them-it was a pretty melancholy story line-so I guess "fantasy" is an escape. But I liked Taren Egarton's effort in the movie-no lip synching. I think the story line and fantasy musical aspect just lost everyone and killed the movie-which is sad it could have easily been an Epic story just the plain truth of it.

Tone Laborer

I thought the movie was worth seeing. I enjoyed it more than a lot of movies. The movie held surprise. Those expecting a more linear, literal film will be disappointed. The band wasn't included because that wasn't the story they were telling. It wasn't intended to be a "straight" bio-pic, so to speak.

As a musician and a songwriter I would have liked more insight into how some of these songs were born, they touch on that with "Your Song." I would have liked more real performance, but they were making a musical for a general audience, including people who didn't grow up with EJ.

Not worth a $1.50 if you like EJ? To each his own.

Last edited:

V-Four

WOW, Rocketman was nothing like I was expecting. I have followed Elton John since my teens with his career beginnings up through Blue Moves. I knew most of his musical career and some of his personal affairs. I guess I was expecting to see that evolution. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman was diametrically different in every way. So yes, I was highly disappointed throughout.
^^^agreed 100%^^^

Just saw it myself, and I was WAITING to see this. Okay, maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the previews, but I had NO idea this was a friggin musical. So imagine my surprise when they broke out in song in the 1st 2 minutes of the flick.

That story(well, movie) SHOULD have been much better.

T.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Isn't it curious that musicians in general don't like musicals?

I guess it's like a chef not liking a smorgasbord or something.
To be fair, some are much better than others. The Sound of Music is kinda boring, so is Westside Story. Rocky Horror is passable at best without audience participation. Grease is fantastic. Mama Mia isn't too bad if you like Abba and rom-coms. Heavy Metal is great, and GWAR: Phallus in Wonderland is just way out there.

I want to see Rocketman, I hope I like it better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

Just saw Baby Driver. I would almost classify it as action-musical. The music is an integral part of the movie, and it follows the action. It's a really good movie. No group singing or anything. But like, a door shuts as a cymbal crashes, gunfire happens during a snare roll, that kind of thing. More movies should do this.

Yeah, I kinda like musicals.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd rather see Rocketman, with its fantasy-musical approach, than Bohemian Rhapsody, that was a terrible film made even worse because it tried to appear factual while being incredibly inaccurate.

I also think that Elton and the band's process has been really well covered over the years in interviews and documentaries like Classic Albums and even Behind The Music. I DO wish that the band had a role beyond simply being on stage in Rocketman, but it wasn't that kind of movie.

I went into Rocketman hopeful, but wary after being so let down by how terrible Bohemian Rhapsody was. I was pleasantly surprised, though with some reservations. I didn't care much for Taron Edgerton's vocals either. The guy playing Bernie Taupin sounded SO much more like Elton John it was kinda distracting in the scenes where they'd sing together.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I want to see Rocketman, I hope I like it better than Bohemian Rhapsody.
No one has liked it better than BR. It really kinda sucks IMO. I came out not liking Elton, and I liked him just fine prior. They painted him to be kind of a douche as a man IMO. Was that the intention?

I'm surprised you feel that West Side Story is boring. Not a musical type guy but WSS could be my favorite musical. Leonard Bernstein...what great songs.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
No one has liked it better than BR. It really kinda sucks IMO. I came out not liking Elton, and I liked him just fine prior. They painted him to be kind of a douche as a man IMO. Was that the intention?

I'm surprised you feel that West Side Story is boring. Not a musical type guy but WSS could be my favorite musical. Leonard Bernstein...what great songs.
My feelings about BR mirror yours of Rocketman. Kinda ruined Queen for me.

I saw WSS like maybe 30 years ago. I should watch it again and see if I feel the same.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
When Elton did Funeral for a Friend-I thought gee this fella has talent-but Crocodile Rock was it for me. The Scarlet letter A-for AWFUL:) I was really never into Queen but enjoyed the movie. I can't believe they screwed up a fine tale to tell with Rocketman. Must have had Kim Jun Yung directing and the rocket just blew up at take off. I thought Val Kilmer was great in "The Doors"-it would be great to see a story of the Pink Floyd "saga"-it would probably be planned as a trilogy but then forty years later will see Pink Floyd XLV.

Juniper

Gold Member
Finally got round to Watching 'Rocketman' earlier, we both didn't like it that much.

It felt very much like a stage musical, where the songs they were breaking into dictated the narrative of the scene as opposed to the other way round. It felt things were written solely to line up whatever song they wanted to introduce/suddenly break into.

Felt like it was a very inaccurate, light, story of his life as a result.

Also, I didn't learn anything new about Elton John. It was light on detail.

Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. Just not a great musical biography film.