I was thinking...

Average

The serious bass players worry about their fingers, not about what batteries are powering their EMGs. Put a decent bass player on any bass and he'll find his own tone, but drummers seem much much worse at gear arguments than others. Bass players argue about strings the most, but that's understandable seeing as their hands are directly on their centre of sound generation.

Incidentally, you can probably guess which side of the fence I'm on with bass preference. With that said, there's a lot of charm in active electronics AND I'm a modder. But you don't see bass players arguing over which strap acoustically enhances their sound - that's the sort of equivalent I'm talking about when it comes to this 'choking the head' nonsense.
Agreed 1000%. The other thing about this is that the whole argument is moot if you are using triggers, and most of the metal drummers I have ever seen trigger the bass drum. Every note sounds exactly the same if you trigger it (well mostly). So it really doesn't make a difference if your head is choked and air is moving blah blah blah. What you are hearing is an electronic sound at that point. Metal drummers trigger the BD because when they play really fast the beater can't move that much so the sound would be a lot quieter. Triggers even out the sound between really small hits and really big hits.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Well triggers can do that if you want them to. Understand, I have no issues with triggers in any application - I just think drummers split hairs on gear. In a ridiculous fashion.

Average

Well triggers can do that if you want them to. Understand, I have no issues with triggers in any application - I just think drummers split hairs on gear. In a ridiculous fashion.
Yeah it gets a little crazy. My point was that for a lot of people who play double bass, all of the technical arguments about one foot playing heavier than the other, choked heads etc is complete bunk. Triggers even it out. I'm agreeing with you man! Hehehe.