& I was concerned about our prices!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I still am, but at least I can justify, substantiate, & quantify every last penny (cent). These leave me scratching my head!

Special, distinctive, but really? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roberto-Spizzichino-Drum-Set-/281062553096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4170a23608

Not so special, nice - yes, but fairly standard - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steve-Gadd-30th-Anniversary-Drum-Kit-BRAND-NEW-/221133616912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c973710

I'm left wondering if our early sets will attract such a premium in years to come.

xsarith

Woah, how much for them drums!

I get that nicer drums with a much higher quality, sound and craftsmanship will cost considerably more especially a custom kit, but that is ridiculous, who even has enough money for that?!

Andy if they do I'll be kicking myself for not buying a Guru drum kit haha

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Simply put, that's re-diculous. They don't even look that great. Not a fan of lugs or rods that go from head to head. Sorry but it looks cheap. And the things that hook over the hoops would get in my way for sure.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Blimey, that's fairly expensive isn't it? I think I'll buy 4 Guru classic kits before considering buying the Roberto Spizzichino drum set, and they'll probably sounds better too :)

As for the SG kit, you'll have to be a die hard fan of Mr Gadd before reaching for your wollet, I'd buy a regular RC and treat myself with a capuccino with the savings I've just made...

...what puzzle me is that someone will buy these kits, probably for a collection or something similar, you wouldn't gig with kits that cost so much.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Wow! That is quite a hefty price tag. What a cool drum set though. I know Danny Carey has a set made out of melted down cymbals I think. I used to know the name of the guy who does the work. Bermuda probably knows.

No, I don't think your drums are overpriced. It is what it is. Shoot, my friend is having Scott Walker make a regular dreadnaught guitar, and after he is done, it will be worth over $10,000 dollars. He's pulling out all the stops on this thing, even using pre-WW2 spruce top and bottom. You'll only find that kind of wood on old Martin guitars. And, get this...no electronics added. So, ya, your drums are what they are and priced accordingly. (IMHO).

Edit: Lemme clarify...it is a special kind of Spuce that was only used on pre-WW2 Martin guitars, which is why they are such highly collectible and sought after guitars.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
A serious 'Cellist will spend a lot more than £4,000 on their 'Cello. High-end drums are still stunning value and remarkably cheap.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hey the bows aint cheap either. I know a guy who deals in vintage fine instruments like violins and cellos and the friggin bows were many thousands of dollars. I forget how much but I know I almost fell over. Duncan's right, a good useable drum sound can be had for relatively cheap. I mean drums have a lot of parts, heads, hoops lugs screws, mounting hardware, washers, brackets, legs, oh and a whole bunch of wood, let's not forget the finish and all the work that went on the bearing edges. Then there's the shipping because they're fairly bulky. We get off easy there, but pay for it on the back end by lugging them all around lol.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
That Spizzichino kit is a collector's kit. I've heard somewhere that he only made 2 complete kits, and elsewhere that he only made 4 complete kits. He is a modern legend among boutique cymbal enthusiasts, and the price reflects somebody's attempt to put a price on something rare and collectible. (and, trying to make a buck--I think it was this exact kit that sold for $12,000 just two years ago)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's all just hype Phil lol. I don't really mean that. Much. Andy is the modern Stradivarius of drums.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Yes, but Andy, you actually expect sell some drums.

These sellers are just hoping a sucker comes along.

Much like the tophat Ludwig set that "sells" for $40,000, until I realized I was seeing the same kit over and over again, re-listed every few years, and not an actual transaction.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Andy if they do I'll be kicking myself for not buying a Guru drum kit haha
don't worry, it's pretty unlikely, at least in my lifetime :(

They don't even look that great.
Actually, I quite like their simplicity, but not enough to pay that premium.

As for the SG kit, you'll have to be a die hard fan of Mr Gadd before reaching for your wollet,
I'd start to get the collectors value if SG had owned it, or even played it!

Wow! That is quite a hefty price tag. What a cool drum set though.
I'm intrigued by the strainer, but I'm not going to buy them out of minor curiosity.

High-end drums are still stunning value and remarkably cheap.
Compared to almost any other instrument, & taking their production cost into consideration, yes!

We get off easy there, but pay for it on the back end by lugging them all around lol.
& ain't that the truth!

That Spizzichino kit is a collector's kit. I've heard somewhere that he only made 2 complete kits,
& both of them are currently for sale on Ebay ;)

Yes Caddy, Roberto was a legend amongst cymbal makers. I've certainly heard Matt Nolan mention him in glowing terms. I could understand his cymbals going for a premium, especially after poor Roberto' demise, but I don't get the price tag on this kit. I'm guessing the seller is just being extremely hopeful.

Hey, everything's worth what someone's prepared to pay for it, right?

MaryO

Platinum Member
My last car didnt cost as much as either of those! I think I'll stick with my meager little Yammies.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That Spizzichino kit is a collector's kit. I've heard somewhere that he only made 2 complete kits, and elsewhere that he only made 4 complete kits. He is a modern legend among boutique cymbal enthusiasts, and the price reflects somebody's attempt to put a price on something rare and collectible. (and, trying to make a buck--I think it was this exact kit that sold for $12,000 just two years ago)
+1.Caddy nails it here.Robert along with legend Billy Gladstone only made a limited amount of custom snare drums and and 4 known complete drum sets.

There are certain snare drum models,drum sets and finishes that collectors agree are worth much more that their counterbarts even from the same era.

Vintage Ludwig Black Beautys from the 20's,30's(actually before they were called black beauty,and were cataloged as deluxe and inspiration models,later in 32 called black beauty,are the pinacle of collectable snare drums......because collectors say so..

The first Black Beauty was actually a Slingerland(who coined the term before Ludwig),and is the rarest of all BB's.Only 20 were known to exist,and will out sell their Ludwig counter parts every day of the week..

Ludwig late 60's and early 70's drums finished in citrus mod,are worth just stupid money.A 70's Downbeat snare in CM last year on ebay went for over 7K.This is a perfect case of when originally issued,nobody except a few wanted this finish,hence the rarity.

These prices are set by collectors,and reflect rarity,desirability,and market trends,AKA...drum fashon.Bear in mind also, that these are ASKING prices,and most of the time,bear no resembalence in reality.

Slingerland Radio King snares were going for lots of cash only a decade ago,especially certain models.Now,the're actually afforedable.Newtonian physics I suppose.

The real wild card here is the Japanese collectors,who seem to have lots of disposeable income,and a love for vintage drums.Once these drums go to Japan,they usually don't come up for sale again,which makes the available numbers of collectable drums, even more limited.

So don't fret Andy.The collectors market is a totally different animal, from current modern day asking prices, for production and custom made drums.

The exception is in the limited edition/speculation market,a la the Steve Gadd kit.This could rise or fall which has happened in the past based on collectors,and the fickle buyers market.If Yamaha suddenly decides that their sales went so well with the Gadd kit,well lets make some more,and make more money.Prices will plumit..

Ludwig did this with the "Liverpool" reissue kits,and the Bonham reissue kits.Had they been limited edition,they'd be worth lots more than now.

Have a pint and don't worry about it.Apples and watermelons mate.Your kits sell themselves,because they appeal to a vastly different market than drum collectors.

Your kits appeal to players,seeking something other kits just can't offer what they want,not to historians ,collectors or speculators who are looking to make some cash.

Rest easy my friend.:)

Steve B

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Andy is the modern Stradivarius of drums.
No Larry, just part of the team. Dean is the one who has to craft the woody stuff, & sometimes that has a mind all of it's own.

Yes, but Andy, you actually expect sell some drums.

These sellers are just hoping a sucker comes along.
Point taken Ian, & just goes to show, there's a customer for everything.

My last car didnt cost as much as either of those! I think I'll stick with my meager little Yammies.
Nothing meagre about your Yammies Mary. Quite the opposite of Ebay examples mentioned here, they're tremendous value for money :)

There are certain snare drum models,drum sets and finishes that collectors agree are worth much more that their counterparts even from the same era.
Steve B
Thanks Steve. I know I've strayed into the collectors scene here, & that values can be extremely difficult to justify for many. That "just must have" affect can be powerful indeed. Still, I don't get the value in that Yamaha kit though. The Gadd association seems tenuous at best.

Also just because so and so made a drum, that doesn't necessarily make the drum great, just rare.
Very true Larry, but sometimes, rarity is all it takes.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
The buyer is paying for the brand and item rarity rather than the quality of his drums. And, just because the owner is asking $32k, does not mean he will get it any time soon.

GJS

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The Gadd ad reminds of what i said in the craigslist thread:

If ads told the truth:

Buy (insert famous drummer) kit I bought everything just like so-and-so, then realized I can't play like him.