I want to talk about LED lighting

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
As far as I know we've never discussed led lights in drums here before.

Does anyone own or have experience with them?

I just bought a set of them, it was on clearance and a few of my friends have been bugging me to put LEDS in my acrylic kit so I caved... it's a drumlite brand one for an entire kit.. 2 led strips per drum and the strips are sized for the standard 10, 12, 16, 22 sized drum kit. It has a control unit and power supply etc all ready to go.

SO

My Acrylic kit is 8, 10, 13, 18 (yep those are the sizes) and while I love it, I'm digging the bigger sizes lately.

I'm wondering whether I should put it in a wood kit, which I have in the sizes this kit is designed for.

The kit comes with all the tape required to attach it and I'm worried if I try it in one kit and want to move it to another I'll have to order various bits of tape etc to do so.

The other thing I'm curious about - if I put it on a wood kit, it looks like coated heads are the ideal, because the whole head illuminates. Does that sound right?

Are the cords and the control unit etc a pain in the arse if you're setting up live all the time? Should I just put it on a home kit and enjoy it for myself?

This video shows both an acrylic and a wood kit, what do you guys think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_5Qcg_N7Y

Here is the pictures page on the website

http://iwdrumlite.com/index.php/media/pictures

Attachments

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
It sounds like you prefer the sizes of your other kits, and gig them more. Unless having the lights in your acrylic will make you gig them more often, then you should outfit them on a gig kit. Coated heads will distribute the light more evenly. It should be fairly easy to set them up at a performance, but seems like a hassle to move them from kit to kit with the stock gear. It wouldn't be hard to affix hangers inside the shells of various kits though. You would still have to remove heads, but the actual transfer wouldn't be bad.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
A friend of mine has these on his wooden kit. I helped him set up once and don't recall the chords being a big pain. Some of this comes down to preference. I personally don't like seeing the individual lights. Looks like a cheesy strip club to me. If you use it on a wooden kit like my friend, you need to supplement some lighting so the drums shells show up or the absence of light on them looks strange to me like in the video you posted. If the best light show in terms of how much people see is important then the acrylic drums will work best. I like the warm glow coming our of wooden drums and coated heads with regular lighting.

Acidline303

The wood kit depends on the finish. Kelli Scotts LED lined kit looked pretty decent on the last Failure tour. He also didnt use them in sound reacting "chase" mode. They were synched to the overall color of the stage lighting for each song.

tcspears

Gold Member
This was really big in the early 60s for big band drummers (lights, not LEDs), it's so weird to see this coming back.

I remember working with some of the guys from the Ellington band, and they would tell stories about drummers with light up palm trees inside their bass drums that they would light up during the fast numbers...

I can't say that I really understand the appeal...

Are they going to be on all the time? Or do they change colors with the song?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
IDK, I like seeing the drums well lit. But lit up drums? The purist musician part of me me says it distracts from the REAL purpose of the drums. But then there's the entertainment factor that isn't factored into that. Which IMO isn't necessary, assuming the musicians are awesome. A perfect example would be the Beck/Wilkenfeld/Colaiuta videos. I would NOT want to see a big light show, or Vinnies drums lit up. I want to check out what they're doing in unchanging bright light! Isn't great musicianship entertainment enough?

I saw Carrie Underwood recently and the light show was so overwhelming and not in a good way. More important than her band, who were one step away from being offstage. I exaggerate a little but from a musician's POV that's how it felt. Carrie was not "with" her band, they were practically in the dark on a lower level of the stage. Plus everything is so corporate, and it kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little lol.

But LED lighting? Dre, and I mean this sincerely, why would you want to draw people's attention away from the awesome-ness that is you, when you play?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
A friend of mine has these on his wooden kit. I helped him set up once and don't recall the chords being a big pain. Some of this comes down to preference. I personally don't like seeing the individual lights. Looks like a cheesy strip club to me. If you use it on a wooden kit like my friend, you need to supplement some lighting so the drums shells show up or the absence of light on them looks strange to me like in the video you posted. If the best light show in terms of how much people see is important then the acrylic drums will work best. I like the warm glow coming our of wooden drums and coated heads with regular lighting.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too... you put it well, it's nicer to my eyes when there's just a bit of a glow, they look pretty bright in the videos.

I wonder if I should attach them right near the hoops or just a little bit further away, I can imagine that might change the way the heads illuminate.

Larry: either way I've already got them now so I'm gonna use them. I personally think they're cool and just a fun way to mix things up a bit... imagine your drums glowing in a dark room, doesn't that sound fun?

I will pose the question... why don't ALL drummers illuminate their kits?

T_Weaves

Silver Member
IDK, I like seeing the drums well lit. But lit up drums? The purist musician part of me me says it distracts from the REAL purpose of the drums. But then there's the entertainment factor that isn't factored into that. Which IMO isn't necessary, assuming the musicians are awesome. A perfect example would be the Beck/Wilkenfeld/Colaiuta videos. I would NOT want to see a big light show, or Vinnies drums lit up. I want to check out what they're doing in unchanging bright light! Isn't great musicianship entertainment enough?

I saw Carrie Underwood recently and the light show was so overwhelming and not in a good way. More important than her band, who were one step away from being offstage. I exaggerate a little but from a musician's POV that's how it felt. Carrie was not "with" her band, they were practically in the dark on a lower level of the stage. Plus everything is so corporate, and it kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little lol.

But LED lighting? Dre, and I mean this sincerely, why would you want to draw people's attention away from the awesome-ness that is you, when you play?
I'm with Larry on this one. You have some really nice kits. If anything, just get some stage lights to shine on them. Put those LED's on the bass player. hehe

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
How about running those strips on the OUTSIDE of the drums? Below the heads , underneath the tension rods. A couple of tie wraps to hold then secure and voila!! Put the gap on the les strip towards you (at the bottom for the kick) so it looks better from the audience and you're good to go.
It will make that white tama of yours change colors nicely :)

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
How about running those strips on the OUTSIDE of the drums? Below the heads , underneath the tension rods. A couple of tie wraps to hold then secure and voila!! Put the gap on the les strip towards you (at the bottom for the kick) so it looks better from the audience and you're good to go.
It will make that white tama of yours change colors nicely :)
That's a good idea and temporary enough to move between kits... But as I was saying, I don't think I like seeing the strips themselves as much as I like the glowing heads.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
That's a good idea and temporary enough to move between kits... But as I was saying, I don't think I like seeing the strips themselves as much as I like the glowing heads.
I think the glowing coated heads are the best look. I agree, seeing the light strips themselves detracts from the effect.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I guess I depends on the gig.

Maybe not in a typical "muso" setting, but if it fits he bands esthetic profile, sure.

I just ordered a bunch of various led and glow in the dark sticks. Not for every day situations, but certainly a cool visual for many settings.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I've finished the toms, it took me ages because I'm so pedantic about lining everything up... the bass drum I'll do tonight but I know it won't look very illuminated without a coated head, so I've ordered a coated PS3 for it.

The instructions are a little bit vague but after the first drum you will know how to position the strips in order to make all the wiring neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlVvIuoqyM

Thanks to everyone except Bacterium fend yolk, who contributes nothing to this forum but negativity and sarcasm, and not the funny kind. Piss off mate.