I want to be a better drummer, where do i start?

Jhanes

What do i do? i have been a drummer for almost ten years, but no lessons. i have just started taking drumming seriously for maybe 3 years, most of my habits are healthy, i need work on my foot work but if you give me something to play i can get it down. i am wondering where do i go from here? I am in a band, i play well enough to where i get people that want me to play with them and they have been playing for years. It feels nice for compliments but where do i go? What groves do i start with? What do i do to get better? I know even the greatest drummers could still take lessons and apply them? What is something i should want as a drummer even though i am well enough to play and perform?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
What about something you can't do now, but would like to? Is there a fill or patten or beat that you've thought sounded cool but never tried? Do any of your drumming mates pull off stuff that you've always thought 'gee I wish I could play that'? Can you check out a few drummers from different genres for example and try to play a few of their licks and apply it back to what you're doing now?

Then there's also lessons. Get a teacher or follow a few lessons from reputable sources in youtube etc. Online lessons with guys from another country. Try out different world rythms and try to apply it to your current style.

The choices here really are endless. Your imagination will be your only limiting factor.

Good luck man.

Jhanes

well i completely agree with all the things you have stated. my biggest thing right now is i want to learn to play like the drummer from Between the Buried and me. haha he is insane. i think i could do it, it is just a litlle tough trying to imagine what he is doingon a few parts of every song.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
it is just a litlle tough trying to imagine what he is doingon a few parts of every song.
I hear you loud and clear mate. I grew up in an era before youtube, so I was one of those drummers who ended up playing what I thought I was hearing on the records and probably not what was actually being played. It's all good though, anything to keep you progressing and and trying to better yourself.

Make the most of all the video clips available and immerse yourself for a while in the cats playing and I'm sure you'll find that you'll start to adapt a few of his licks and make them your own.....That's even more fun than a pure 'copy' I reckon.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I think you answered your own question. You said that you are not taking lessons, but know that even the best drummers out there still take lessons once in a while.

My advice - find the best teacher you can and sign up for lessons. You would be suprised at how many of your questions from your post will be answered in just a few lessons.

Jeff

supermac

Speaking personally, I've found some of the drum DVDs out there inspiring and a great source of new ideas from some of the best players in the business....

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I grew up in an era before youtube, so I was one of those drummers who ended up playing what I thought I was hearing on the records and probably not what was actually being played. It's all good though, anything to keep you progressing and and trying to better yourself.
Bingo! Love it :) I still do it now, even with YouTube. Old habits die hard.

If you always remember what attracted you to music in the first place and savour every second of what is a brilliant opportunity to have fun (that many people in the world don't ever have) you can't go wrong.

You just follow your nose ...

Witterings

Silver Member
Sounds as though you're exactly where I was going back less than a couple of years ago and as you start getting into it you'll suddenly realise how little you've touched upon and how much more you can do to improve your playing.
I bought loads of DVD's that are really just drummers showing you how great they are with maybe one tip if you're lucky but I found the Benny Greb DVD extremely useful in terms of breaking it down into the simplest of forms without needing to be a great sight reader and at least 6 months of practising material.
I also started having some lessons and initially whilst the cost can seem quite daunting you'll very quickly start to pick up on "the learning process" and one good lesson will give you 3 to 4 weeks worth of material to practice as you take what they've taught you and adapt it to other things.
I spend an awful lot of time now practising Rudiments which I'd never really done before and have also started learnig how to play Purdie Shufflles, Sambas, Mozambique etc and it all helps. I'll often be playing something now and all of a sudden mid fill you'll be "S*-t" where the heck did that come from as you play something that sounds great that you've never been able to before.
If you want any more specifics on things you can start to practice let me know.