I want tasty yum yum grooves and chops.

Wackamole

My problem is simple. I love technical. I love it with all my heart, and I haven't for a long time been practicing tasty stuff. I know it when I hear it, but I'm in a metal band, progressive too so cool stuff, buuuuut in that place where I'm wanting to branch out of what I know. So my question is, can people point me in the right direction to some tasty stuff? I'm thinking Mike Johnson crossed with Aaron Spears crossed with Carter Beauford crossed with Ringo Starr (jk lol, if I had a three year old son I'd just ask him for lessons if that was the case) (hehe just stirring please please PLEASE NO rants about how great and world conquering anyone who makes it is and how immature I must be and how it's all so negative and how the post will be pulled any minute, it was a JOKE, and I love you all :)

I mean kind of like those grooves you see in gospel chops where they're doing mad as cymbal and hat runs but as a grove then giving you some sexy way out there accents.I know what I'm looking for, I just want to get some flavour (yes, o U r, queens English my friends, I mean really, how do you get Ah-loom-in-uhm from the word aluminium? I is NEVER silent. Ever. Wow starting to sound like how those cats talk on pintrest photos. Meh) back into my world.

So yeah, fingers pointing in right direction would help. I just want a more progressive feel to my playing. It's super funk/rock at the moment (when I'm not playing metal obviously), took heaps out of Rick Latham's DVD's... but I kind of feel glued there, I spend hours a night on double kick and the same chops and... well I'm kind of not over it but bored? I want to veer out into my jazz independence but that's like starting all over again, getting all the combos you can do between hands and feet under the standard jazz ride let alone the cool stuff they do (and then is it really worth having that when I doubt I'll ever play jazz, not that it's anything other than awesome for interdependence but there are only so many hours in a day). Any suggestions welcome, I just want some drumming meat I can sink my teeth in to.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
The first thing I suggest is to play what you've been playing - just play it slower so you can add accents and ghost notes to get things really tasty.

These days I try to check out some of the roots of cool modern players - there's always some interview on Google when they talk about their influences. Check out the players mentioned ... it's an eye-opener and you come across some great music that way.

For instance, you mentioned gospel drummers. Let's take Aaron Spears - he was influenced by Dennis Chambers, Weckl, Vinnie and Steve Gadd. After checking those players out, then find out about the influences of the ones you like best, then ...

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Well if you know which drummers you like and want to imitate, all you have to do is listen to them, watch them, buy their instructional videos (if they have them). They will rub off on you, and if you put a little effort into imitating them it will come.

I'll +1 on Dennis Chambers. And Chad Smith. And I'm not into much metal anymore but there are metal drummers who have alot of groovy feel e.g Tomas Haake, Matt Halpern.

Talismanis

If you're into the gospel chops kinda stuff, I'll give you some advice as to how I approach it (and I'm by no means an expert).
This is a very broad, probably flawed in both concept and content 'checklist' which I'm sort of working with when I put my gospel hat on:
1) Linear fills.
2) Being able to incorporate foot singles and doubles within said linear fills.
3) The mental attitude of being an absolute don behind the kit who OWNS his drums. The gospel players all project so much confidence; I expect if they had the same chops but were a lot more nervous they wouldn't be able to do most of what they do. Be a bit cocky about it but still be aware of what you're playing.
4) Keeping in time, keeping it funky, not flying out of time when you work on these linear fills.

I'd say come up with a few semiquaver-triplet linear phrases between the hands and feet, and work on voicing them around the kit. Watch a few Aaron Spears or Thomas Pridgen videos, try and imitate a few of their licks. Keep practicing, and eventually the linear phrases you come up with will be so embedded in your muscle memory that you can kinda improvise around with them.

And that is my nooby guide to l33t gospel drumz!

A

Anthony Amodeo

buy Gary Chaffee Linear Time Playing and listen to the guys you like a ton