I thought I'd try......drum gloves......

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It's been a yearly occurrence, every January to May, since my house atmosphere is dependent on heating and the air seems a little drier, my hands tend to dry out and when I go to play, sometimes the skin splits along the nail and creates cuts that just won't heal since that part of my hands are always moving.

This year I broke down and decided I'd try some actual drum gloves. I remember years ago I tried golf gloves, but couldn't get into it. This time, I got a pair of the Ahead gloves and after a couple of gigs, I actually like them. The synthetic leather feels a little more substantial than standard golf gloves and my hands suffered no ill effects of the skin getting split open. I think it's because the glove is helping my grip and I'm not holding the stick as tight as I would when I normally slam. So it helps my relaxation and I can play a bit harder without exerting more pressure to hold the stick.

Of course, it makes me look like a Modern Drummer advert, but it's been a nice solution so far. I even don't have a problem twirling with the gloves on (not that I do a lot of that). I can be as sensitive with them on as I am without them. Maybe this is an age thing - my hands just need help now. I do notice that after four hours of slamming the drums, my hands aren't sore or tired or fatigued and I attribute this to the fact that the leather is helping me to hold on and my hands aren't working so hard to hold on to the stick.

It'd be nice if they made them in beige or some natural color. Black or white just screams "heavy metal" to me ;)

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Interesting hearing your experience with gloves. I also tried gloves. I like using them when I have to play really loud music. Like hard rock out doors on un-miced drums. But in general, for lighter playing, I don't like how they feel on my left hand. I play traditional grip and I don't like the absence of feel in my left hand. I use coated sticks, Vic Firth "Vic Grip". They help me keep a relaxed grip.

Mongrel

Silver Member
It's been a yearly occurrence, every January to May, since my house atmosphere is dependent on heating and the air seems a little drier, my hands tend to dry out and when I go to play, sometimes the skin splits along the nail and creates cuts that just won't heal since that part of my hands are always moving.

This year I broke down and decided I'd try some actual drum gloves. I remember years ago I tried golf gloves, but couldn't get into it. This time, I got a pair of the Ahead gloves and after a couple of gigs, I actually like them. The synthetic leather feels a little more substantial than standard golf gloves and my hands suffered no ill effects of the skin getting split open. I think it's because the glove is helping my grip and I'm not holding the stick as tight as I would when I normally slam. So it helps my relaxation and I can play a bit harder without exerting more pressure to hold the stick.

Of course, it makes me look like a Modern Drummer advert, but it's been a nice solution so far. I even don't have a problem twirling with the gloves on (not that I do a lot of that). I can be as sensitive with them on as I am without them. Maybe this is an age thing - my hands just need help now. I do notice that after four hours of slamming the drums, my hands aren't sore or tired or fatigued and I attribute this to the fact that the leather is helping me to hold on and my hands aren't working so hard to hold on to the stick.

It'd be nice if they made them in beige or some natural color. Black or white just screams "heavy metal" to me ;)
hmmm.....

Nigel Eder?
Bo Olsson?

lol

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Isn't there a rule somewhere that if you get white drum gloves that you have to get an entire white outfit to match? :D

I also experience some of that drying and cracking, and it sucks. It may be worth it for me to buy a set just to keep on hand (no pun intended) just in case my skin cracks.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I use Bert's Bees hand salve for my hands, when they crack. I also use it when I play drums because it helps with my grip and I don't get blisters.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
My hands get dry and cracked in winter. Cracked skin on fingers can be pretty painful. It hasn't interfered too much with my playing but sometimes lugging the gear in and out can be murder and make things worse. Gloves are probably more crucial for that than for the actual playing part. But it's something to consider.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My hands get dry and cracked in winter. Cracked skin on fingers can be pretty painful. It hasn't interfered too much with my playing but sometimes lugging the gear in and out can be murder and make things worse. Gloves are probably more crucial for that than for the actual playing part. But it's something to consider.
I actually do load in and out with gloves. I have whatever variety is available form the Home Depot, but I got into this habit when I began my career as a stage technician with Disney - it was just mandatory that we have certain tools and work gloves with us at all times, so I think for at least the last 20 years I've always moved things with gloves on. Especially when I'm dealing with my hard polyethylene cases - rubber and plastic just rub off on you so gloves are a must.