I need help..

llosnd

I'm heading to University in a couple of weeks to study Popular Music and I really wanna take my kit with me.. I have to take a lot of other stuff with me too, so I had an idea about how to store the drums on the way down-

Basically buy myself a decent hard case to put my 24" kick in and then put all my other drums inside each other, so all the drums will be in the flight case.. I know I'll have to put something between each drum to prevent damage and stuff and I can put all my hardware in the footwell of the back seats and I'll have my cymbals in a padded case lying flat in the boot/trunk..

Has anyone tried this before?

Any help would much appreciated

Thanks

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
"Nesting" drums is how many manufacturers box kits up to deliver them. Obviously the heads, hoops (and possibly shell hardware, depending on drum diameter) all have to come off. But if it all fits, then there's nothing wrong with transporting drums this way......especially as a one off. If you moved 'em like that too often, the continual set up would be a major PITA.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Not sure how much money you got, but you can just buy a kit when you get there, then sell it or trade it before you leave. The Sonor Bop kit is like $400. Just bring your cymbals with you.

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
Has anyone tried this before?
Used to take one of my kits to gigs like that - didn't even use cases and it was fine. I had a 22" BD with front head removed. I lined that with a thick blanket and put a 16" floor tom inside with no resonant head. Then a little padding, then a 12" tom with both heads. Then the seat of my throne. Then another cushion or so and the 14" snare would sit on top and I think a handful of cymbals on top of that - but only hats, ride, and one crash. If there was room I'd take a 13" tom loose but that was not essential.

Once I'd bundled the hardware up I could fit me, my kit, and my two bandmates plus their amps and guitars into one Mark III Vauxhall Astra. Life in the Bus Lane . . .

llosnd

Thanks for the replies!

Wouldn't there be practice rooms with drums kits in them at the Uni for practicing?
The Uni does have their own kits, but they aren't allowed to leave the studios, and I'm planning on doing some gigging.

Not sure how much money you got, but you can just buy a kit when you get there, then sell it or trade it before you leave. The Sonor Bop kit is like $400. Just bring your cymbals with you.
I probably could do this with my student loan, but I can think of a lot people who'd disagree with that haha and I love big drums, so a Bop kit might not cut it for me :p

Used to take one of my kits to gigs like that - didn't even use cases and it was fine. I had a 22" BD with front head removed. I lined that with a thick blanket and put a 16" floor tom inside with no resonant head. Then a little padding, then a 12" tom with both heads. Then the seat of my throne. Then another cushion or so and the 14" snare would sit on top and I think a handful of cymbals on top of that - but only hats, ride, and one crash. If there was room I'd take a 13" tom loose but that was not essential.

Once I'd bundled the hardware up I could fit me, my kit, and my two bandmates plus their amps and guitars into one Mark III Vauxhall Astra. Life in the Bus Lane . . .
This is what I like to hear :p I think I'm gonna get a 24x24 case instead of a 24x18 so I can fit my cymbal case in it as well.. it's gonna way a freaking ton though haha

Thanks for all your answers!