I miss Pollyanna

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hey I'm all for moving it to the off topic lounge, but deleting the thread is like saying. OK we can't ever get past this. (whatever it is that's going on here) I think that would be like giving up. Quitters never win, and winners never quit. Captain cliche strikes again!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Since this thread has my name in it I have to wear how good or bad it is. That gives me some say. Stan's right, so I suggest that before anyone posts on this thread again they must first play along with a song beforehand - or if it's late at night, listen to one - and report back on it.

I'll start: I have just played along with Duke's Caravan, brushes with snares off. My flat has weak soundproofing so even then I have to be careful about volume. I felt I was feathering the bass drum better than usual and my snare sounds great thanks to Wy retuning it (thanks Wy! :)

As a relative brushes newb a challenge for me is I play sweeping style with trad grip but tap with matched grip. I haven't got the switch from trad to matched down so I had to play the tap parts with trad grip, and that was a struggle. So I'm going to do more practice at flipping from trad to matched (currently typing with right hand and have brush in my left).

Last edited:

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Dropping like flies!

I've been working taking some bugs out of this tune that we recorded last week.
Nice, steady groove, Bob. You guys sound like you'd go down well with the crowds. Bit of the ole money beat, eh?

My "penance" for this post was playing along with Dat Dere. I feel ok with the set figures but once the improv starts my rock roots really show. So lame - straight spangalang or spangalang with backbeat for three bars with an accent or two on the fourth - lol. Better off focusing on the spangalang and only popping my head up when absolutely necessary :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Then whyd it get put in GENERAL DISCUSSION! Im not giving up till I feel Ive done my share to get this closed or moved.
Maybe the OP thought it would be better here, than the Off Topic Lounge.
I cant believe this gets 4 pages. See you guys. I dont want a goodbye thread either.
Wow. How quickly someone goes from "not giving up" to "See you guys". Don't let the door hit you on the ___ on the way out.
I'm finding the whole thing to be strangely entertaining, yet theraputic.
Indeed, I have a 91 year old mother dying of colon cancer. My father's already gone. I'm the only son. "This" is easy, compared to what I have to do "there".
SO MUCH wasted energy sitting at a computer which could be better served on more positive endeavors such as the simple act of getting out of the house and playing music with others.
I wish getting out of the house was simple. For me, it's not. I've been on the forum here, almost 4 years. In the last 2, I've become "completely dis-abled". Like in "never go anywhere without a cane. One of those "crippled guys". Compound this with the fact that from the front door, to the street, is 43 stairs. So me, taking my kit "anywhere" is no longer an option. Be glad getting out of your house is still a simple act.

If the last few page of exchanges on this thread is any indication of how this place is going to slide into 2010 good luck to this forum is all I can say :{
Everyone needs "good luck", no matter where they're sliding.

I don't know, no one's forcing anyone to read the thread, if it is distasteful, who has the right to say what should and should not be discussed?
I certainly agree with the first part. You don't have to read 4 pages of thread to figure out if you want to be there or not. Freedom of chioce. As far as "who has the right" ..... Bernhard, Dog Breath, and Nutha Jason. It's not a democracy here. There are rules. People forget Bernhard foots the bill for this party. And a substancial bill it is. Dog and Nutha help with keeping all the "guests" in line. All ya gotta do is be mindful that you "are a guest here" (that's all I do, anyhow) and it should be smooth sailing.​

mattsmith

Platinum Member
I remember when Jay Norem dissapeared awhile back...in a way there was a sense of loss.
I know larryace had good intentions in posting this thread, as do other good guys like bobdadruma and others. Problem is Larry, this and related issues have been trolled to the max, which IMO eliminates much of the credibility related to any kind of normal discussion.

Take your buddy Jay Norum.

As I told you in a pm, he never left. One of the worst kept secrets around DW is that he's the very con struct who has posted several times in this thread. People have known about this for the past six months, including those he has contacted bragging about his identity. And for any of you guys who think he was your pal, just read what he says about you in his forum of choice. Originally I posted a direct link to his rant, but then decided that his rant was bad enough that even an indirect association with it might break the DW forum's language clause. So instead I'll just post the relatively clean stuff he said with a few things further edited.

There's a website called Drummerworld, populated largely by white kids who own drum kits that cost as much as my house. It's amazing how stupid these kids are. They can't spell, they can't communicate, they call each other "dude!" and all they want to do is put up pictures of the huge drum kits their parents bought them. But they sure as h*** know all about the Moeller stroke! And they all play exactly the same d*** way, perfect stroke, perfect grip, perfect execution of the rudiments, and absolutely zero artistry. No soul. Nothing. They'll all get degrees, and they'll teach and play just like their teachers did.

You know I never cease to be amazed by how trolls think their comments at other forums are only capable of being seen by those people alone.

And Bobdadruma, I know you said your subsequent comments that you didn't care what someone says on another forum. So I want everyone to know that I just went back and edited my post for clarity, and that you didn't know that when you posted #149. You're a good guy, so I want no misunderstandings. But I'm also betting that you didn't originally read Jay's rant, or your sense of fairness would have kicked in, because is slamming people like this really what you're talking about? Furthermore, doesn't this also detail a very in your face perspective about certain issues that his con struct persona supposedly says never happens? Or is saying what you really mean at another place some kind of loophole?

Come on guys. This all comes off pretty phony huh?

I also find this one interesting Jay.

Well, at least you're not wasting your time on "Drummerworld."
So why are you here Jay? When you show up like this you're only trolling.

This is what I'm talking about. The debates are pretty stimulating but so much of this recently isn't anything but phony hypocritical passive aggressive nonsense coming from people who obviously don't have too much to do/ not you Harry/. Look Jay, at least you can play. Why don't you take the time you waste trolling here and posting several thousand times on aaj to write some music, or practice towards the ability to take that drum solo you've lamented here about wanting to do, or even the re forming of that AAJ band that you like so much? Who knows, maybe you guys could get another gig in New York this summer. I mean after all, you and I both know that Atlanta is pretty much dead for jazz right now.

I also think I'll take my own advice.

See you guys in a couple of months.

This is still the best forum for drums by a long shot, and I know this will work itself out like it always has before.

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Dropping like flies!

Nice, steady groove, Bob. You guys sound like you'd go down well with the crowds. Bit of the ole money beat, eh?
Thank you Polly, I thought that the Money Beat was fitting for this discussion.
I enjoy playing with Samantha (the singer) and this band. We are progressing nicely. I even gave up drinking to be in this band along with the guitar player. We are serious about this project.

A little bird did tell me that Jay was back under the name con struct. I didn't know if it was true of not.
It doesn't bother me. I also don't care what Jay says on other forums.
I actually still miss Jay here on DW. He always kept me on my toes with my spelling and grammar! He also made me belly laugh many times.
I'm actually sorry for Jay. He seemed so angry and frustrated all the time. I hope that he gets what he wants from his Jazz playing.

I also can't understand why some are so angry about this thread. This thread is about bringing people back together. No One should ever leave here because they felt hurt and unwanted
because of their view during a discussion!

In case you hadn't noticed, Bernhard posted in this thread.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Matt is right, I did have good intentions starting this thread. There will always be conflicts. They are unavoidable. But say I want to start a different thread w/ good intentions, and then stop myself from doing so because of possible repercussions. If I change my mind, not only will the "trollers" have succeeded in diluting me, the forum will have one less thread, and everyone loses.

So, being as conflict is unavoidable, when it does surface, just like in real life, the only way to resolve it is by working through it, like Stick Control. It's really no big deal, opposing views are exciting conversations, every time.

It takes 2 to argue. I remember an exchange Alex Luce and I had about a year ago, about his way of striking the drum vs my way. Even though we disagreed on just about every major point, it was a great example of 2 people who knew how to separate the debate from the debator. Not once did it even hint of any disrespect for the "opposing" side. Alex even sent me one of his books, on his dime, after it was all over. (Thanks again for that Alex) What a classy guy he is. (I have no books to send ha ha) I have the utmost respect for Alex. He is a wonderful player. People were amazed that the lengthy debate didn't degrade into the equivilant of the Jerry Springer show. Nothing to it. There's a right way and a wrong way to disagree, and I hope that anyone reading this thread will come away with better debating skills. That's why I don't want to see this thread closed.

The point is, that one "troll" can throw the first bomb, but if the 2nd party engages, then the 2nd person, while not being AS guilty, is still contributing to the conflict.

So the moral is, I'm not going to let any possible conflicts keep me from posting what's in my head or what's in my heart. If someone disses you, defending yourself in an online forum is just a recipe for bad conflict. It's best to try and diffuse it, or ignore it, or understand why the person who dissed me is doing so, without being hurtful or engaging. It comes easy to me, but I understand that it's not like that for everyone, so I try and "lead by example"

I just let it go. It's no big deal. My precious pride will survive ha ha. Maybe that person has some anger in his/her life and this is the only safe place to vent it. Glad to be of service. Maybe that person has stresses in their life that are too much for them to bear at times. I get that. Anyone who is truly my friend here knows the score, and defending oneself (as opposed to debating the side of the issue) is usually a bad idea.

Maybe there should be a sticky...How to debate, rules of engagement.

Rule # 1. Separate the debate from the debator.

Example:

Person #1: I don't pay much attention to rudiments, I play from the heart.
Person #2: Well if you don't learn them, you won't have the full vocabulary. If you think you can master the drumset without them, then you're an idiot.

If Person #2 had stopped after the first sentence, there would be no foul.

mattsmith

Platinum Member
I just let it go. It's no big deal. My precious pride will survive ha ha. Maybe that person has some anger in his/her life and this is the only safe place to vent it. Glad to be of service. Maybe that person has stresses in their life that are too much for them to bear at times. I get that. Anyone who is truly my friend here knows the score, and defending oneself (as opposed to debating the side of the issue) is usually a bad idea.

Maybe there should be a sticky...How to debate, rules of engagement.

Rule # 1. Separate the debate from the debator.

Example:

Person #1: I don't pay much attention to rudiments, I play from the heart.
Person #2: Well if you don't learn them, you won't have the full vocabulary. If you think you can master the drumset without them, then you're an idiot.

If Person #2 had stopped after the first sentence, there would be no foul.
I wish it was that simple Larry, but there's no separating the Internet debate from the Internet debator when trolling and devaluing while hiding behind an avatar was the only true motivation, and for reasons that usually had nothing to do with the subject at hand. Every Internet forum seems to have its issue and this false groove/chops thing is ours, because it defines so much about what drummers are and where they think they're going. It's also an excellent format for deceit and false reinvention on both sides of the spectrum, because there are just too many intangibles for a true consensus to ever be set into stone.

All I've ever tried to end is potshots, and if you're going to lay down personal insults about people who are trying to be out there without proving you even play the drums then of course it's an issue. And for all the defensive hyperventilating about that I've still yet to see a single hard core critic originally addressed prove that point. And yeah, when you get personal with others over matters of a deep introspective aesthetic nature, then yes you have to prove that you are at least in the game. You really do. End of story.

Also understand that we don't live in a vacuum here. There are no more than a handful of members posting at any given time, but there are actually hundreds of people reading this stuff at all times. And the reality is that the real consensus is often not with the two or three who think they're getting over with each other. See for every post you think validates your view, you might be interested to know that another guy is possibly receiving twice as much mail stating you're nuts. I'm always surprised with how much mail I get from companies for instance that were interested in what I said at Drummerworld and other places. The consensus is hardly ever with us alone, while quite frankly both sides of a forum debate are at times equally full of it, because the anonymity and the trolling always gets in the way on at least some level.

See, I think part of this is that most here see this as a hobby, so for you guys it's no harm no foul. I also think that's cool. But sensing the temperaments of many here I also know that if this same behavior was deployed in your profession, you wouldn't take very kindly to it. I have no doubt of that. It's like those guys who call into the radio sports talk shows questioning every move the coach made while having the luxury of a five minute later perspective while sitting in a favorite easy chair eating a bag of potato chips.

Problem is with the Internet that a lot of guys over time can convince themselves that they really are the coach. This also includes reinventions of ethics, values and yes standards. And to me that's the difference.

Have a good winter.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like the debate threads. If things get heated, it's even more interesting. People tend to show their true colors when an issue becomes heated. I enjoy that. I wish no one would personally attack anyone else, and I wish that offense wouldn't be taken if an attack is made. But that's unrealistic, not the way it really is.

This forum is like fishing on a fabled stretch of water. There are great trophys to catch, (knowledge and insights, great people to confer with) but sometimes you have to contend with the bugs. (people personally attacking you because of your views) It's totally worth it.

Matt, you come from a semi unique perspective in that you've been the target of way more barbs, jabs, and bombs than almost all of us combined. I think that is a tragedy, because here's someone who had a personal goal, reached the goal, and was pummeled for it. I still hold hope that we all can learn to accept one another as much as possible, and forgive, and let any personal attacks roll off our backs like water off a duck. At least that's how I choose to conduct myself, but then again I haven't been targeted by a cast of hundreds.

Everyone has a right to state their position. I would just encourage people to stick to the issues, and save any personal stuff for a PM, or better yet, realize that everyone is entitled to their views, and be open enough to look past themselves and try and understand where an opposing viewpoint is coming from, and employ it to widen our own narrow perspectives. We can use this opportunity (disagreeing w/ another) for good or evil, it's all up to the individual.

Sopranos

This thread has gotten really boring - I still think you are all babies!

--------------> ;)

P.S. I already miss Matt (who the hell is Matt?)..... come back Matt!!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
No, no, it's just starting to get really good, and the pizzas haven't arrived yet!
I just finished making mine from scratch with home made dough, sauce, and venison sausage. It is in my pizza oven that my wife insisted on having in our new kitchen now.

con struct

Platinum Member
I just finished making mine from scratch with home made dough, sauce, and venison sausage. It is in my pizza oven that my wife insisted on having in our new kitchen now.
Sounds great, Bob. Venison sausage, yeah! What kind of cheese? What do you put in your sauce?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I made the sauce yesterday with fresh garlic, onions, and green peppers. I also added some of the venison sausage that I made last fall. A few of my friends get together every year and we make the sausage with deer, beef, and pork. We also add maple and apple with various spices that we buy in a package. We smoke the sausage for about 10 hours in a weber smoker. I like to use the Kraft packaged mexican three cheese blend from the supermarket on a thick crust that I make in my bread machine.

con struct

Platinum Member
I made the sauce yesterday with fresh garlic, onions, and green peppers. I also added some of the venison sausage that I made last fall. A few of my friends get together every year and we make the sausage with deer, beef, and pork. We also add maple and apple with various spices that we buy in a package. We smoke the sausage for about 10 hours in a weber smoker. I like to use the Kraft packaged mexican three cheese blend from the supermarket on a thick crust that I make in my bread machine.
Aw, Bob! I was with you right up to the cheese. Have you tried grated fresh Mozzarelli? (And maybe a thinner crust? I'm a snob for New York pizza, you understand. Ben's near Washington Square is my favorite.)

Sopranos

Listen fellas, don't hi-jack the thread that I worked so hard to screw up. This is my show and you were just the cheap opening act - didn't you get the memo (you suck)?

*Disclaimer: This is not meant to hurt your feelings. However, if you should find yourself tearing up then I suggest Dr. Phil.