I left my band and possibly might quit drums

JPW

Silver Member
I took a break after I had played something like 7-8 years of drums. But I was always a drummer regardless of what I told to people. When I listened to music, it was from a drummers perspective. I constantly tap on things. So eventually I had to come back. Your posts have always been a great read. Have a nice break.

yesdog

Silver Member
Lutz, Everyone deals with things in there own way. I too was in a band that meant every thing to me we did a little bit of touring lots of recording and gigged out 3 to 4 times a week.
when the band broke up, it was like loosing a loved one . I put my sticks down for 8 years because of that. I did not even listen to music either. I still held on to my gear. I ended up getting married and having 2 boys. Like someone else said in this thread music and drums chose me. I started playing again about 3 or 4 years ago, the bad thing about walking away is overcoming being rusty and having all of your chops go away. I am know playing in 2 bands and a jazz ensemble. I still have a LOT of work to do to get back my chops. Everyone needs a break, I say take one, lick your wounds and get back at it. I regret that I stopped playing and hated music and so will you. I never thought I would play again, Now I have even deeper passion for drums and music and practice my ass off. The main band I play in is opening for the Gin Blossoms tomorrow. Its funny how things come around full circle. Lutz, I don't know how you feel ( probably hurt ) and can't tell you not to quit. I thought I would share this very chopped down short version my story to maybe give you some insight. Only Lutz knows what Lutz's need's to do. Good luck my Friend and I hope everything will turn around for you.
Cheers, Scott

Last edited:

aaajn

Silver Member
Lutz,

I am really starting to become engrossed in your story and I don't know why. You post great stuff, really contribute a lot of great stuff and have laid it all out here on the forum. But I think I am onto something now, your struggle is like everybodies struggle, you just had to cahones to share it. Thanks.....

Although a novice drummer, I am a seasoned sufferer, here are my findings......

Conflict always precedes clarity

and

Some of my best performances in life have been losses.

Might seem dark, actually your description is very positive, you just have to fly higher to see it. Thanks for the inspiration to see it.

J

C

Crazy8s

Drums are like a positive terminal illness. You can't really quit them, you just go into remission.

I think you should keep playing drums but quit driving. It sounded more like you are sore with all the driving you do...

Ainulindale

Gold Member
i played drums as a kid, had a band, really enjoyed growing up playing the drums, got an apartment when i left home, some how managed 8 years away from drums - i came back to them when my daughter started guitar and piano, i have a better understanding and a much deeper appreciation of the drums now then i ever did as a kid...

just like the changing seasons keep mother nature fresh, vibrant and renewed, maybe a change, as difficult as it is may be, is a good way to cleanse the soul and renew the musicians spirit within you, i wish you well and hope you come back to music and drums soon...

Hey SickRick,
I am new here and don`t know you or your drumming but I think I can share your pain!
All I know is that I was forced away from drumming for various reasons and now that I am back, I cannot stop.
When you have had time to grieve, please remember why you picked up the sticks. There is a sound in your head and a rythym in your heart that only a session of BOOM BOOM BAH can satisfy!!
Enjoy the piano but you can`t thrash the life out of that like you can with a kit!!!

Muckster

Platinum Member
Lutz,

Best of luck to you in whatever life gives you. You have been a great help to me in the past few years on this forum. I thank you for that.

T

TFITTING942

DUDE!,
sad to hear all of this but you need to be happy so what ever that takes you have to do it for yourself. Too bad none of us here had the chance to talk you out of selling all your gear though, it will miss you! Good luck and be happy for sure but always refer to yourself as a drummer,. you earned that.

Meat the beat

Mate,
Hate to see anyone putting their sticks in the bag... especially one as respected as you obviously are in our industry & on here... selling ALL your gear is usually the biggest wake up call you get along with this kind of decision, but it sounds like you know what you need right now and we all respect that.

See you when you come back,
Till then, take care.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
i played drums as a kid, had a band, really enjoyed growing up playing the drums, got an apartment when i left home, some how managed 8 years away from drums - i came back to them when my daughter started guitar and piano, i have a better understanding and a much deeper appreciation of the drums now then i ever did as a kid...
Pretty much my story too.
8 years as a youth - 6 year layoff - and now my 5 year anniversary in November of being back on.
The second time around the journey has been soooo much funner, more relaxed and I have much more appreciation of the drums than I had before.
Plus I'm waaaay betta!

SR -
Always enjoyed your post and insight...DeCinso transcription was amazing!

I hope you find your calling on the piano....but I'm betting you'll be back on the skins at some point.
peace