I just finished my first Drum Book.

stellar92010

Its called 'Understanding Rhythm A Guide To Reading Music' by Michael Lauren (Manhatten Jazz, Drummers Collective Series)

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Rhythm-Manhattan-Music-Publications/dp/0769220223/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392534630&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+rhythm#reader_0769220223

it took me 4 months under the guidance of a rigorous teacher to go all the way through it. There is some HARD reading in it--it is imperative to play it very slow, with a metronome, and count out loud. (It has a counting guide for some of the phrases in each exercise at the back of the book)

I would highly recommend this book, but I think a teacher is needed to really help with the book because it is fairly rigorous. Still it as worth it, not only can I now read rhythms well (I read for piano and guitar before, but not well) but it helped vastly with my timing. Anyone every use it? If not check it out.

stellar92010

Yes, he is a great teacher. He is very rigorous and I wouldn't have it any other way. He is an orchestral drummer and a house drummer at a major recording studio.

Wanzeller

I'm working now in this book as well as in the Book of Silence from Michael too. Michael Lauren is my teacher and I can say that his books are awesome. He's a master. Keep the great work. I would suggest the Book of Silence (great to develop technique and internal clock) or Welcome to Odd Times.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's a great book and the independence stuff is harder than it looks.

That list in the back covers a lot of essential coordination and they represent pretty much most of the ideas I introduce to various young students when working on basic reading.