I Just Became a Bosphorus Artist

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi guys,

I have just signed contracts to become a Bosphorus artist and endorsee. I have been working towards this for a long time, and wanted to share this with my Drummerworld friends. I have been playing Bosphorus cymbals for my entire playing career. I love them, and genuinely believe they are the best cymbals in the world. To finally forge an official, professional, relationship with the company that makes them has been part of my dream for a long time.

Some of you may remember me from the drum studio construction videos I made over the last few years. I also have a linear drumming book out, various albums and session credits, a YouTube channel, and lots of regular teaching and freelance playing.

Over the years, I have been active and less active on these forums, but it has always been a place for me to seek good advice, have good discussions, and make a few friends along the way, so thank you all for that.

I have no idea what the next step entails, but it's an exciting one to take, that, as I said, I have been working towards for a long time. In this industry, you can often feel like you're banging your head against a locked door, but today that door just crept open a little bit.

Thanks all, and keep pushing!

Jonathan

Well deserved Jonathan. Fantastic news!!

Couldn't think of a better person to endorse a product than one who has been playing them right from the very start.

Enjoy your new relationship. Hoping there's a few perks for you along the way too.

Thanks, Pocket!

I have always tried to be very careful with the endorsement thing, and unfortunately have a number of friends and colleagues who have suddenly become endorsees of a product that they seem to have never really used, simply because the offer was there.

I am not a particularly "corporate" minded person, but considering, as we say, I have played them for years and years, it seemed a natural fit. They are a small company compared to the big boys, and I'm a small name compared to the big boys, but the passion is there from both sides, so I'm happy.

Thanks again!

Congratulations! That has to feel good knowing that hard work paid off, and that Bosphorus has as much confidence in you as you do in them. Nicely done!

Congratulations! That has to feel good knowing that hard work paid off, and that Bosphorus has as much confidence in you as you do in them. Nicely done!

Thank you buddy. It is a nice feeling. As I said to my wife when it came through, the best last is for a little bit of recognition in a very saturated industry. As you said, the confidence they have placed in me is worth more than any free cymbals.

I would imagine that the details of your deal are slightly different than soultone LOL congratulations I'm sure it is like a dream come true

Congrats! Nice milestone.

That's the deal right there, & increasingly rare.

Huge congratulations Jonathan! I hope it provides a platform for opening more doors along the way :)

Thank you, and me too!

I agree - endorsements should be genuine relationships. It's funny because they asked me to come down and sign the contract and "choose a set of cymbals", which I declined because I've already got all the cymbals I need. I tried to make it very clear to them that I wasn't just out for free stuff.

Believe it or not, I have seen young drummers at the Frankfurt show (Musikmesse) simply walk up to the Bosphorus representative and just say "Can I have an endorsement deal please", and then look disappointed when they are turned away.

When I've told a few of my friends about my new deal, the first they ask me is if I got free stuff. I guess it says something about why companies these days are slower to give out things like this.

Thank you, and me too!

I agree - endorsements should be genuine relationships. It's funny because they asked me to come down and sign the contract and "choose a set of cymbals", which I declined because I've already got all the cymbals I need. I tried to make it very clear to them that I wasn't just out for free stuff.

I don't know how endorsements work. If you are not interested in getting cymbals in exchange for brand exposure, what is the point of the contract?

Smart attitude and congradulations.

I recommend to most young drummers to not seek endorsements because it takes years to discover your sound, play everything and not be locked down to one product until you are SURE you love something. If you have played them from day one then you are obviously the right guy for it.

I have played every stick company, drum company, cymbal company, pedal etc to find out what works for me. It was at that point I was able to confidently seek endorsements. Plus by this point my exposure was at a decent level and it was much easier.

I am sure they don't want you discussing specifics so good job not going on about that.

To No Way Jose - There are multiple levels of endorsement. ranging from small discounts, to decent discounts all the way to free gear. Depending on your level of exposure and how much of an influence you are on other drummers (social media, touring, playing SNL, running an online site with 1000's of subscribers)

Congratulations, man!

That has to be a great feeling and a sort of "bucket list" item you can check off on your career list now. Good for you!

I don't know how endorsements work. If you are not interested in getting cymbals in exchange for brand exposure, what is the point of the contract?

I'm sure he'll take things from them in the future, like new products lines ect. Right now he has what he wants to play on. I think he's just saying that's not the most important thing, free stuff.

I'm sure he'll take things from them in the future, like new products lines ect. Right now he has what he wants to play on. I think he's just saying that's not the most important thing, free stuff.

Yes, pretty much this. I fully intend to claim any and all benefits and perks that this deal will offer me. For example, I am attending this year’s London Drum Show for free through Bosphorus.

You are right, and that was my point. I already have a ton of cymbals, so that wasn’t my main priority. It’s nice to know that, as and when I want/need new cymbals, or to try out a new line, I can do that for free or much cheaper, but primarily I wanted to forge the relationship that, from now on, can hopefully grow and benefit both parties.

Ultimately, this is a people-orientated industry. Good relationships often yield good opportunities. Free stuff is just free stuff.

Thanks again.

Back