I have Cubital Tunnel... what worked best for you guys?

Hello

So, I can't be the only one... This cubital Tunnel thing really sucks. About half way through the set last night I could barely hold my drum stick, thing was just flopping around between my thumb/index and dead hand weight...was really embarrassing... I made it through but man....it was bad...

I guess I have to start taking this seriously. I can't stop playing, it's just NOT an option. I don't really have any major pain, my damn grip is just "broken" for lack of a better term... bottom three fingers of my hand just completely give out.

The Doctor said to sleep with a beach towel wrapped around my arm to keep it straight for a few weeks then hit physical therapy.

I'm desperate here guys, any advice, no matter how big or small I would be grateful for, I just want to do anything I can.

Thanks you ;)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang Hollywood those look interesting. Have you tried them? I love the name.
GetAGrip. Hey wait a minute I call copyright infringement I've had that moniker on various Internet forums for over twenty years I bet. LOL.
Well I'd suggest ice and rest now since you have it all inflamed but there are exercises you can Google that will help long term. Probably start on some anti-inflammatory for a bit as directed-I don't know if CBD would help? You really need to rest it but seems like you don't have the time for that? I strained my hands moving stacking stones (they were killing me I couldn't sleep for it) one time and did this matched grip with stick between my index and next finger (it would rebound on palm)-it worked amazingly well but it was a simple gig-thankfully no brushes that gig I don't think I could have played brushes like that. I rested it after that.

Just ordered some, THANK YOU!!!

Dang Hollywood those look interesting. Have you tried them? I love the name.
GetAGrip. Hey wait a minute I call copyright infringement I've had that moniker on various Internet forums for over twenty years I bet. LOL.
Well I'd suggest ice and rest now since you have it all inflamed but there are exercises you can Google that will help long term. Probably start on some anti-inflammatory for a bit as directed-I don't know if CBD would help? You really need to rest it but seems like you don't have the time for that?
Yeah, I got at least one "important" show st patricks day weekend I can't miss...maybe I'll try to cancel a few others and just not drum for awhile. I think you can only get the CBD stuff for pain/etc.. It actually doesn't hurt much, just doesn't work lol

WhoIsTony?

Hello

So, I can't be the only one... This cubital Tunnel thing really sucks. About half way through the set last night I could barely hold my drum stick, thing was just flopping around between my thumb/index and dead hand weight...was really embarrassing... I made it through but man....it was bad...

I guess I have to start taking this seriously. I can't stop playing, it's just NOT an option. I don't really have any major pain, my damn grip is just "broken" for lack of a better term... bottom three fingers of my hand just completely give out.

The Doctor said to sleep with a beach towel wrapped around my arm to keep it straight for a few weeks then hit physical therapy.

I'm desperate here guys, any advice, no matter how big or small I would be grateful for, I just want to do anything I can.

Thanks you ;)
I had it so bad in 2003 that I couldn't even hold a pencil ... had horrible tendinitis in my left elbow at the same time

my ulnar nerve was so inflamed and stretched that a medical doctor told me that there was "no other option outside of surgery"

that was an absolute last resort for me

I saw my chiropractor who I've been seeing for 30+ years ... she treated me for about 3 months and advised me not to play during that time ... I followed her advice and after those months I slowly started playing again.

not playing was tough but I haven't felt any affects of either ailment since 2003

I had it so bad in 2003 that I couldn't even hold a pencil ... had horrible tendinitis in my left elbow at the same time

my ulnar nerve was so inflamed and stretched that a medical doctor told me that there was "no other option outside of surgery"

that was an absolute last resort for me

I saw my chiropractor who I've been seeing for 30+ years ... she treated me for about 3 months and advised me not to play during that time ... I followed her advice and after those months I slowly started playing again.

not playing was tough but I haven't felt any affects of either ailment since 2003
This is very inspirational! Looking for a chiropractor NOW! Do they have to specialize in Cubital Tunnel? I'll be honest I don't know much about them...

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Just ordered some, THANK YOU!!!

Yeah, I got at least one "important" show st patricks day weekend I can't miss...maybe I'll try to cancel a few others and just not drum for awhile. I think you can only get the CBD stuff for pain/etc.. It actually doesn't hurt much, just doesn't work lol
The grips worked good for me when I accidentally drilled a hole in my thumb. I used them while I was healing. Also you can use those cheap rubber wristbands. Loop through stick then loop through second or ring finger. Hard to explain without showing you. See them here: https://goo.gl/images/uZPgXx

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I think it's generally important for the stick to be able to move around in your hand and not be "tied" to your body at a certain point. I do however think it's great for cases like this thread highlight. If you have nerve problems or anything of the sort making it hard to hold the stick, you'll likely end up gripping it less hard because you have this on the stick. Nice idea, Jim.

The grips worked good for me when I accidentally drilled a hole in my thumb. I used them while I was healing. Also you can use those cheap rubber wristbands. Loop through stick then loop through second or ring finger. Hard to explain without showing you. See them here: https://goo.gl/images/uZPgXx

Nice! Yeah, I'll give both a try! Thanks man, you guys are great, I was really starting to panic,now I have "options" ;)

StaggerLee

Silver Member
huge +1 for gig grips, I have a different issue in that im spastic and these allow me to drum properly. cant rate them enough!

Otto

Platinum Member
I suggest that you DO NOT bypass what your doctor is saying and use a device to allow you to potentially do more and possible perm. damage.

I also suggest finding an instructor that has been through it and learn from his/her ordeal....I would first consult a sports focused doctor for a regimen and follow it just as directed.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I think I know who gave you that idea! Did you have any trouble using these with trad grip, or was it just your R hand?
Yes, The Phrooge turned me onto these two ideas. I used them on my right hand when it was injured.
But actually they will work for traditional grip too, but not very well.
For left hand traditional grip you would attach the stick to your first finger, middle finger or thumb. It works but it is a little awkward. I never tried it.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I suggest that you DO NOT bypass what your doctor is saying and use a device to allow you to potentially do more and possible perm. damage.

I also suggest finding an instructor that has been through it and learn from his/her ordeal....I would first consult a sports focused doctor for a regimen and follow it just as directed.
By the way, I agree with Otto. thrashdrummer ya gotta get it fixed sooner or later. Better sooner than later.

Chollyred

one time and did this matched grip with stick between my index and next finger (it would rebound on palm)-it worked amazingly well but it was a simple gig-thankfully no brushes that gig I don't think I could have played brushes like that. I rested it after that.
Did that once due to an issue with my thumb. Didn't do it long though. Ended up with terrible blisters between my fingers.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There are many options.

Rings like that help some people. Dennis Chambers uses this. https://www.stickpro.com/ Same thing, really.

- Investigating technique.
- Newspaper rolling, towerl wrenching and other specific exercises like that.
- If you really wanna keep it up th rest of your life, there are health routines to look into, but not everyone wants to get into that.

It also depends on the intensity of your playing. Just haveing breaks and really shaking loose and stretching afterwards would have great effect if you're not doing it already. Just general body care.

I get it. I 'm getting older and sometimes I'm so stiff I can hardly get up and move after long days of work and practice. As soon as I get behind the kit I can play, I somehow make it happen, but it's good to shake loose and also get som real rest sometimes.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I'm inclined to go straight to the surgeon once something gets intolerable. I did this when I had carpal tunnel syndrome almost twenty years ago, and surgery fixed the problem permanently.

Now I have cubital tunnel syndrome in my left elbow. It feels like I'm being stabbed by a knife right in my funny bone, 24 hours a day, no matter what I'm doing. Still, it hasn't reached the point of intolerability, but when it does, I'll be seeing my neurologist and getting it fixed.

GeeDeeEmm

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have used those Get a Grip before and they dont bind your fingers at all. There is still movement in your fingers.